Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This Disorder in the DSM? 993 Withdrawal Disorder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 PM
jlivingood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Is This Disorder in the DSM? 993 Withdrawal Disorder?

Just wondering if this condition has been documented in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders... Another way of describing this is 'what I have gotten myself into?'

I've had my 993 for about a month. I've had & have other fun cars, and I race (Spec Miatas, not Porsches). So it's not my first taste, so to speak. So here I am on vacation... and missing the smell of the car, the sound of it, and longing to drive it. Fast. Windows open. Radio off.

I'm a long way from 16 but it vaguely reminds me of getting the jitters and wanting to drive, drive anywhere and for any old reason, just to drive at that age. And yet I am a thousand or more miles away from my 'new' car.

Checking Rennlist helps a little I guess, but it is just adding to the list of things I think of doing to my car. Have to stop checking Rennlist - making it worse.

I have to assume I'm not alone in this feeling... Is there a cure? ;-) Other than counting down the days until I'm home and can drive the car again?

BTW, it may not help that I am out in the Denver area on vacation in some Hyundai SUV boat but driving some amazing & scenic roads and thinking of how wonderful it'd be in a proper sporting car vs. a Hyundai's guess and what they think soft 'mericans want.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

There is no cure. The good news, you're amongst enablers, er, friends who are similarly afflicted.

If you think this is bad, you've just got the first symptoms of The Disease. I've had mine over 8 years and it hasn't worn off. The first stage is one thing, but wait 'til you hit The Slippery Slope stage. It's usually accompanied by new shiny parts and massive shuddering of the wallet. Side effects include a perma-grin on the face.

Looks like you got it bad. And that's pretty good
Old 06-14-2013, 03:01 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jlivingood
Checking Rennlist helps a little I guess, but it is just adding to the list of things I think of doing to my car. Have to stop checking Rennlist - making it worse.
We are helpful...like the dealer on the corner to a junkie just wandering by...
Old 06-14-2013, 03:10 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 471 Posts

Come on in, the water's fine.

Ask how to spend $100 and we'll "help" you spend $1000. Ask to spend $1000 and...........

Funny thing though, it never gets old.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

just my opinion, but if you're thinking of a car while on vacation, you need to plan a better vacation.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
just my opinion, but if you're thinking of a car while on vacation, you need to plan a better vacation.
Agree...go to Boulder and drink some Fat Tire!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've given some thought to ferrying my 993 from Calgary to Colorado, and do some touring there, especially since Steve Farson published his book: "The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado". It would only be an extra 3+ days of driving, and most of it is pretty interesting.

But in a few days, my wife and I head off with the car into Oregon's High Desert, which has pretty decent roads.

Last edited by Rinty; 06-15-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:12 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The disease has no cure. I just did my first road trip of the spring/summer without my 993 while it was getting a new cab top. It was rough. After working 12 hours Friday night and then driving 6 hours back to Philly, I got home, relieved some bodily functions, and then went and picked up my 993 and took a ride.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:45 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Its more of a 911 affliction as near as I can tell, in my case, I have the air cooled variant of the addiction.

It started with my wife's (then GF) 68 912. Such a cool balanced vehicle, not a lot of power, but once she got going, great fun to drive. Then I got 3.0 SC, big bump in power, not as balanced as the 912, but the power was addictive. Then came the 993, with the seemingly bottomless torque. Now that I have the suspension set up the way I like it, I look forward to whenever I can take it out for a drive.

It is truly an addiction...no cure, only relief in the form of driving. I know that I am doomed to owning some air cooled 911 for the rest of my life.

Everyone should be so blessed is the way I look at it.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:07 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Agree...go to Boulder and drink some Fat Tire!
I love Fat Tire and my 993. I think I love the 993 more than beer but sometimes it is a toss up.

I waited a year before doing any mods and now I am progressing nicely down the slippery slope.

--Michael
Old 07-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a trip to Spain and it was this view that got me thinking about my 993 . . .Puerto de las Palomas
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2013, 05:56 AM
2oldn2slow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have my sympathy or should it be empathy?

Bought my first 911 (993 targa) a few weeks back (posted as 'finally got my 911') after 1 week it went into the garage for some work to be done - the list is quite long and as I'm in Dubai have to wait for parts from Germany etc - now, finally after 4 weeks I expect it back next week and am looking forward to a good drive.

How much time have I spent in the interim reading Rennlist or surfing for articles and youtube videos - far too much!

It is a disease me thinks and one that empties your wallet.

Good job my wife understands and enjoys the car also.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems like members here on the 993 Rennlist board serve as a support group for current owners and those in transition from air-cooled ownership. We all have the ability to appreciate the sinuous curved sheet metal forms of the body from every angle, to the mild scent of cooked motor oil off of the heat exchangers mixed with the aroma of German leather, to the all too familiar ignition key location and timeless gauge layout of the dash. Some here are OCD while some have symptoms of ADHD we're all held together by this common thread. I welcome every opportunity I can to leave the non descript, "I don't care if you ding it" daily driver, to take the 911 out for a spirited drive to refresh and rejuvenate. Life is short, live it to the max!

Quick Reply: Is This Disorder in the DSM? 993 Withdrawal Disorder?