Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To fix the “Fiske”, or not to “fix” the Fiske?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default To fix the “Fiske”, or not to “fix” the Fiske?

Hi Everyone,

I am new the 993 board having come from another area on the Rennlist forums. A few weeks back I purchased a nicely track prepped 993 from a fellow Rennlister ("jakp993", a great gent to deal with). The car has plenty of nice track focused mods:

Full fresh engine rebuild using the stock 3.6 pistons and cylinders: All bearings, seals, guides, etc, GT3 crank, GT3 oil pump, Pauter connecting rods, new valves, RSR valve vprings, Titanium retainers, Custom single pulley/drive belt system for GT3 crank, Balanced assembly, Solid motor mounts, GIAC chip, AWE straight pipes through OEM cats and Dual oil cooler upgrade

Full Transmission rebuild: short gears 3rd - 6th, Upgraded steel synchos, Quaife LSD, Solid tranny mounts

Suspension: Moton Club Sport dual adjustable dampers with remote reservoirs, GT2 uprights, RSR sway bars, ERP adjustable camber links, Camber plates, all rubber bushings replaced with solid/spherical/monoball

Brakes: 993 turbo brakes up front, OEM rear brakes with portioning valve addition and Hawk HT-10 pads

Body and interior: Custom welded cage (PCA club race spec), Recaro Hans driver seat, Sparco Evo II passenger seat, Teamtech harnesses, Rennline aluminum floorboards, removable Momo streering wheel, CS Aero kit, 2700 lbs dry.

She’s pretty rough on the outside (nasty track rash on the front end noticeable from under 20 ft – this will be attended to shortly) but has all original panels, and has never been crashed……..and now she’s all mine. 

The car was mechanically perfect in every way as a super thorough pre-track inspection was done. Unfortunately, one of the rear Fiske Mach V wheels showed signs of stress cracking and I did not get the chance to give it an easy shakedown run at Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch recently. So I am left with what to do with this Fiske Wheel set (18x8et52, 18x10et65):

1) fix the center at a cost of $565 from Fiske
2) fix both rear centers for additional peace of mind at double the cost
3) Or sell off the good wheels and parts to someone who needs them, or to someone who wants to refresh the rears wheels to make a set

At this point I am torn because the styling of the wheels is not precisely to my taste, so any suggestions or interest would be welcomed. Also, the generous previous owner who honestly did not know about the cracked center is sending me a set of 18” OEM Turbo Twists (a true gentleman indeed!). I did check with Thatcher at Independent Wheel to see if he had any used centers with no luck.

Cheers!
Doug N
Attached Images  

Last edited by DJN; 06-11-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think you should fix the Fikse.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:16 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fix both rears.

Safety first. You don't know the wheels.

I actually won't run ANYBODY's used wheels at anything over 80%.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

The styling is not to your taste, so it will be a little sore spot every time you look at the car. Sell the Fikses, and get what you want, and no worries with questionable wheels.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
The styling is not to your taste, so it will be a little sore spot every time you look at the car. Sell the Fikses, and get what you want, and no worries with questionable wheels.
Agree with this one. Doug, glad you had an opportunity to give your new ride a test run Be sure to post back on here once you get to really try it out!
Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Interesting Dilemma....

I have two good FM10 centers with bent barrels.... My plan was to someday rebuild them into new rear wheels, but cost has held me back so they have just been siting on a shelf...

1) When you say the Mach 5 is not to your liking, do you like the FM10? If so, would you like to talk buying my FM10 centers (at least that would get you 2 of them)
or
2) If you are thinking going something completely different, would you consider selling me 2 of your barrels ?

Jeff
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Stellar advice from Mark & Kai.

I'd strongly advise replacing any cracked centers (I would Zylow all of them) and then make a decision about whether to keep them or not. You'll will get excellent cost recovery if you do.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I may have some other plans in light of the bodies cosmetics......that would require WIDER wheels (if you know what I mean).

Originally Posted by KaiB
Fix both rears.

Safety first. You don't know the wheels.

I actually won't run ANYBODY's used wheels at anything over 80%.
If I were to keep them....absolutely safety first, replace both centers and rebuild.

Originally Posted by BobbyT
Precisely!

Originally Posted by cavlino
Agree with this one. Doug, glad you had an opportunity to give your new ride a test run Be sure to post back on here once you get to really try it out!
Hi Carm, I hope your are doing well!.....no I didn't drive it at all on the track...."I did not get the chance to give it an easy shakedown run at Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch recently"..........so it was a bit disappointing, but I did take it for a 5 minute run around the block at 2 tenths....just to get the idea. I like! I will keep you posted but won't be back in Las Vegas until midSeptember......

Originally Posted by jscott82
Interesting Dilemma....

I have two good FM10 centers with bent barrels.... My plan was to someday rebuild them into new rear wheels, but cost has held me back so they have just been siting on a shelf...

1) When you say the Mach 5 is not to your liking, do you like the FM10? If so, would you like to talk buying my FM10 centers (at least that would get you 2 of them)
or
2) If you are thinking going something completely different, would you consider selling me 2 of your barrels ?

Jeff
Hi Jeff!

I like both of your ideas, and thinking outside the box.........but as you said for Option 1, I'd only have 2 FM-10 centers.

PM me and we can discuss the possibility of separating the rear barrels from the rears......the previous owner noted that all of the rim halves are in excellent shape as they were replaced under warranty. Also, you may want a selection of additional parts too for any future rebuilds, you can take your pick.

Cheers!
Doug N
Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Stellar advice from Mark & Kai.

I'd strongly advise replacing any cracked centers (I would Zylow all of them) and then make a decision about whether to keep them or not. You'll will get excellent cost recovery if you do.
Hi Steve,

Agreed.....yes I would (if keeping or selling as a set) replace both rear centers, even though only one is showing stress cracks. "Safely First" as KaiB said.

What is "Zylow"? I am not familar with the term, I assume a machine process for strengthening, or method of testing for flaws. Please explain if you have a moment.

What is a set of 993 nb 18" Fiske's worth rebuilt to very good/Excellent condition?

Cheers!
Doug N
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

FYI, I have a set of FM-10 race satin center/polished lip 8x18, 10x18 wheels that have only three DE track sessions on them. I bought them new. I've been thinking of selling them but wanted to market them locally first. It's been on my to-do list for the past six months. Looking to get $2,700 plus shipping for them. PM me for more details if interested.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
What is "Zylow"? I am not familar with the term, I assume a machine process for strengthening, or method of testing for flaws. Please explain if you have a moment.

What is a set of 993 nb 18" Fiske's worth rebuilt to very good/Excellent condition?

Cheers!
Doug N
Hi Doug,

JMHO, but a set of excellent repaired wheels is worth a lot more than ones that need new components, or as individual parts.

Zyglow is a process for crack detection in non-ferrous metals. Parts are sprayed (or coated) with a special dye, then illuminated with a UV lamp which will show cracks.

Such wheels with new centers and excellent rim halves should bring at least $2500.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:25 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Funny, but went right over his head.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

If you want to keep them, you should contact Fikse, mentioning the following:

There are several threads on Pelican (maybe here too) of HRE repairing (replacing parts) wheels at no cost. Of course, HRE would only repair HRE wheels, but still.

Or, contact user Thatcher. He hoards multipiece wheel parts. He's basically a multipiece wheel dealer, LOL.

Take care,
Old 06-11-2013, 08:14 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lots of good advice here. I would pay $3000 for a good set if I could find them locally.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
If you want to keep them, you should contact Fikse, mentioning the following:

There are several threads on Pelican (maybe here too) of HRE repairing (replacing parts) wheels at no cost. Of course, HRE would only repair HRE wheels, but still.

Or, contact user Thatcher. He hoards multipiece wheel parts. He's basically a multipiece wheel dealer, LOL.

Take care,
Thanks for the info/suggestions - some of this has been already discussed above, Thatcher has been contacted, and Fiske has no further warranty coverage on these wheels - I can however purchase new centers for an easy rebuild.

Originally Posted by cavlino
Lots of good advice here. I would pay $3000 for a good set if I could find them locally.
Interesting to get a feel for demand and values, thanks Carm!

Quick Reply: To fix the “Fiske”, or not to “fix” the Fiske?