Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all OC RL'ers! Got a set of MY02's I can borrow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:07 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Calling all OC RL'ers! Got a set of MY02's I can borrow?

Guys. I bought a set of PSS10's in January and, I swear, every time I walk in that garage they jump at me and say "install me!". So I really "need" to get these on my car.

Here's the catch ... I have an appoint at WestEnd on Thursday for install, align and CB but my new MY02 rims have no rubber on them yet. I'm thinking of ROW stance but can't justify buying new tires for my 18's when i still have a healthy amount on my stock 17's.

Darin said I should have the rims I plan on using on the car for suspension install. So do any Orange County RL'ers have a set of MY02's I could borrow for the install? I just need a week and I switch back to my stock targa rims to use up the remaing tread. Prob buy tires for MY02's next year.

I'm just crazy! Guess that's why I'm a Rennlister!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Set of 4 Sumi HTRZ-IIIs are about $550 at Tire Rack. If you order them today, you could have them on your MY02s before your appt. with Darin....just sayin'.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:41 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll defer to a guy who has X times the experience I do setting up cars, BUT how do you explain the holy grail of setup "aids" in not even having wheels on the car in the form of hub stands?

(I'll admit to being curious about similar in the Olden Days when my Hunter C111 was brand spankin' new over 25 years ago, and playing with the typical 205/225 15" and 16" swap over for track use on flared 911s or non-flared 911/914-6 swap over from street tires to the Goodyear cantilever slicks. Never really found it made a difference on the alignment.)
Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Set of 4 Sumi HTRZ-IIIs are about $550 at Tire Rack. If you order them today, you could have them on your MY02s before your appt. with Darin....just sayin'.
I appreciate your chiming in here Goofball as I know you participate in a lot of RL discussions here. But you're missing my point.

Why would I spend $500 on a ANOTHER set of tires when I'm only driving her on weekends? With two sets of wheels (and I'm not tracking her at this time) it would be a waste to pay for another set.

Also, my 17's DO have Sumitomos HTR III's on them.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgianzero
I appreciate your chiming in here Goofball as I know you participate in a lot of RL discussions here. But you're missing my point.

Why would I spend $500 on a ANOTHER set of tires when I'm only driving her on weekends? With two sets of wheels (and I'm not tracking her at this time) it would be a waste to pay for another set.

Hey, I just figured if you can afford a Porsche, you can afford new tires

Plus, you're gonna need tires for your 18s at some point. Seems like now is as good a time as any, seeing that you need them NOW, and Tire Rack also has them on sale.

Good luck
Old 06-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero

Marc, I think what GBall is saying, is that you are going to spend that money anyways, whether it is now or next year, so I don't really see it as a "waste". I do understand the time value of money too, which is the only negative.

If you store them inside out of the sun, there really shouldn't be much drying out due to UV. You are already storing the wheels I presume.

What time is your appt? As a back up, I may be able to meet you at West End. My daughter's class is having a BBQ for lunch, and I need to pick up my son and his GF from the airport that PM, so I can only afford a few hours first thing in the am with my MY02s.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Sorry, I don't wanna come across as grumpy, but your situation doesn't come across as an emergency. You knew you had this appointment, you knew you needed tires. This is a problem you chose to have, not an unexpected problem you were victimized by. There is a big distinction between the two.

It's also a problem you could easily solve by ordering tires today that would be ready to go by your appointment. Sounds like that solution makes far more sense than imposing some RLer of his time and effort to help you, since you can easily help yourself. Kika is obviously a very thoughtful guy.

I'm not trying to sounds like a jerk, but this doesn't seem like a problem that needs any assistance. You need tires for your 18s anyway. Order them and go to your appointment with them, prepared and ready to go.

What am I missing here?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Sorry, I don't wanna come across as grumpy, but your situation doesn't come across as an emergency. You knew you had this appointment, you knew you needed tires. This is a problem you chose to have, not an unexpected problem you were victimized by. There is a big distinction between the two.

It's also a problem you could easily solve by ordering tires today that would be ready to go by your appointment. Sounds like that solution makes far more sense than imposing some RL of his time and effort to help you, since you can easily help yourself.

I'm not trying to sounds like a jerk, but this doesn't seem like a problem that needs any assistance. You need tires for your 18s anyway. Order them and go to your appointment with them, prepared and ready to go.

What am I missing here?
It might make sense to just have them shipped to Darin, and he could install them while they are there. you have the problem of transporting the 4 unmounted wheels TO West End, and then transporting a mounted set back home though....

maybe not the best idea after all. have them mounted ahead of time.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

OR you could go to Achilles.....
Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

What am I missing here?
Goofball - In the RL community, I like to think we are cordial, helpful, and resourceful people who browse this forum. So let me state my points the way I see it ...

I never said this was an emergency. You made that assumption. I also stated that I use this car on weekends. I'm lucky to put 3,000-5,000K on this car. At that rate, I probably won't need my 18's for another 2-3 years. But that should not negate the point that I do not feel the need to purchase a set of tires now when my car only uses four at a time. Eventually, I will put on my 18's and store my 17's.

I am also not cheap as I've also put quite a bit of money into my car as of late doing many mods, etc. That is why I find your comment "Hey, I just figured if you can afford a Porsche, you can afford new tires" to be offensive. How could anyone NOT think you're being a jerk when you make a statement like that? Please explain.

I believe in the RL community and all the wealth of knowledge that many people on here have. Many of them are sharp and have quite a bit of experience with our cars and it makes this a wonderful site knowing that they choose to help others who ask and, perhaps, need a little guidance. Your comments, however, I find to not be helpful or resourceful in any way.

I have spent many years and much of my time helping and guiding other people on this website. Not to mention the few times I have opened my home to Porsche fanatics to help them with their maintenance and mods. (See tie-rod pinning party I had at the beginning of this year as an example.) We all had fun and we never intimidated or offended anyone who may have a question or was reaching out to this community.

So please, in the future, just cool it and don't be so judgemental with your comments.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Back to our regularly scheduled discussion.

I'd like to know the exact reason why the 18"s need to be on the car when suspension is being installed and car is corner balanced (if it is corner balanced) and aligned. While it's understandable that Darin wants to ensure that your new tires do not rub your new suspension as could very easily happen with the idiotic SoCal "hella flush" crowd with no brains, in this case of OEM wheels like MY02 there will be no issues - the proper offsets and sizing of both wheels and future tires ensure that.

So, go with your 17s and worry not. When you wear out 17" tires and decide to go with 18th, make sure you go with 225/255 or 225/265 width combo and you'll be perfectly fine.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:07 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Too far away to help, though I do have a set of MY02 replicas with good tires sitting in the basement. Right beside a set of 17" CupIIs with **** tires. And both cars are wearing another set of wheels and tires for current use. I'm a wheel *****!

Fwiw, I was under the impression that an alignment was best done when putting on new tires. Can using "used" tires during the alignment process then mounting new rubber have a negative impact on settings?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:09 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I'll defer to a guy who has X times the experience I do setting up cars, BUT how do you explain the holy grail of setup "aids" in not even having wheels on the car in the form of hub stands?

(I'll admit to being curious about similar in the Olden Days when my Hunter C111 was brand spankin' new over 25 years ago, and playing with the typical 205/225 15" and 16" swap over for track use on flared 911s or non-flared 911/914-6 swap over from street tires to the Goodyear cantilever slicks. Never really found it made a difference on the alignment.)
I'm with Ken, I don't think it will make much difference. I'd just take her in with your targa wheels on since you are going to drive those until the tires wear out anyway why not have the targa wheels the priority.

You can always adjust them later if you don't like the look with the MY02's. Maybe Darin didn't realize you were going with a similar rim when he said that?

I am lower than ROW and can go back and forth with my 17" cups and MY02's with no issue.

That's my sensible answer anyway. My gut one is buy the tires for the 02's n get em on! They look better!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Marc,

Am I following this correctly in that you plan to set the car up with the 18s, then take them off and run on the 17s for 2-3 more years?

I think you would be better off to set the car up now with the tire/wheel combo that will be on the car, then when you switch over to the 18s, have the car re-aligned and corner balanced then.

Otherwise it seems like you would be setting that car up in the near term for non- optimal.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hi, what are MY02s?...I have a set of 18" Turbo Twists with rubber you can borrow for the install...I live in PV which is about 20min to Darin's garage...lmk

Quick Reply: Calling all OC RL'ers! Got a set of MY02's I can borrow?