Sponsored by:

Stearing Wheel SWAP on my 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 AM
high rider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stearing Wheel SWAP on my 993

Finally found a clean 996tt stearing wheel to enhancethe the interior of my 993.

For the swap is there anything special or any trick I should know before taking the original stearing wheel out ? First time swapping a stearing ...

Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Do a search for "3 spoke steering wheel". How to' s have been posted many times.

Prior to starting the job, disconnect the neg terminal on your battery and allow 30 - 60 min. for the capacitor to deplete/discharge itself. You will need your radio code once the job is finished and the battery is hooked back up.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If you take the airbag screws loose and then DONT TURN KEY you can unplug airbag and replace the steering wheel. Then plug in the new airbag and NOW you can turn the key that will in turn allow you to rotate the wheel so you can access the airbag screws. Main point is to not ever turn the key or have it on when the airbag is unplugged. If you do it will turn on the airbag light and you will need to take it to be reset.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by high rider
Finally found a clean 996tt stearing wheel to enhancethe the interior of my 993.

For the swap is there anything special or any trick I should know before taking the original stearing wheel out ? First time swapping a stearing ...

Thanks
Definitely post pics when you are done. I just swapped my wheel for a non airbag model and love it. The road feel is so much better.

--Michael
Old 06-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Chris V
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did this and it's easy. Hardest part for me was finding the perfect length/diameter torx tool, too long and it hits the dash, too fat and you can't get it into the steering wheel holes. I was using a torx bit in a screwdriver type handle which wasn't a good fit. Probably easier if you use one of these type torx tools. Others may have better advise on this.
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2013, 12:41 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris V
Just did this and it's easy. Hardest part for me was finding the perfect length/diameter torx tool, too long and it hits the dash, too fat and you can't get it into the steering wheel holes. I was using a torx bit in a screwdriver type handle which wasn't a good fit. Probably easier if you use one of these type torx tools. Others may have better advise on this.
When you use the Torx bit in a stubby screwdriver handle, the bit comes off the handle easily. Then you have to fish it out. It is also hard to tell whether you are actually turning the screw. I pulled the horn cover out a little so I could look and see if the airbag module was separating from the wheel. It took me a good half an hour filled with many colorful words and cramped muscles.
--Michael
Old 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraX
If you take the airbag screws loose and then DONT TURN KEY you can unplug airbag and replace the steering wheel. Then plug in the new airbag and NOW you can turn the key that will in turn allow you to rotate the wheel so you can access the airbag screws. Main point is to not ever turn the key or have it on when the airbag is unplugged. If you do it will turn on the airbag light and you will need to take it to be reset.
I would not, under any circumstances, be swapping a steering wheel with battery still connected. So the first step would be "disconnect battery".
Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

can't you just pull the airbag fuse?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:07 PM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a good resource. http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...Steering_Wheel. I did mine recently as well and this took any guesswork out of it.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
can't you just pull the airbag fuse?
Um, er, ah, that would seem to be a viable solution. Why didn't you chime in earlier and save the poster and respondants, all this time and piecemeal respone ?

Quad,
From here on forward, you have to respond first, that way the rest of us mooks can have a shot at cleaning up or clarifing what you miss or leave out

I'm saying this tongue in cheek...I think your suggestion was simply brilliant. I think you would still have to allow the capicator to discharge to be safe. Yes? But not if you dont turn the ignition on.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Ummm.. which is the airbag fuse, exactly?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Ummm.. which is the airbag fuse, exactly?
no clue, maybe there isn't one.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990-964
This is a good resource. http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...Steering_Wheel.
I did mine recently as well and this took any guesswork out of it.
Great DIY, just follow the steps in the guide. That's my P-car in the photos a few years ago ...

Old 06-06-2013, 12:37 AM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
no clue, maybe there isn't one.
Oh, I get it now...You simply guess at answers without knowledge or constructive research. Thats strong!

This is kinda interesting learning personalities in a forum. Depth and character seem to come shining through.
...or lack thereof.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Porsche70T
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's what I learned when I changed mine. All of the above.... You'll need TORX #27 for the old 4 spoke 993 and TORX #30 for the new 3 spoke 996 wheel. A 24 mm socket and extension for the hub is needed, too.

To access the screws, I used a Makita Finder/Driver. It's a 3" tube with one end that fits into a handle and the other accepts multiple bits held by a strong magnet. The diameter is a perfect fit for access to the screws. I bought a set of stubby torx bits from Sears. (At least I had half of what I needed this time.) Instead of inserting the Finder into it's handle, I used a vice grip for a little better leverage. Once you break lose the screws, they come out pretty easily. It's a bit of touch and feel getting the new wheel screws aligned back in so be patient.

Be careful when you pull the old wheel and slide the new wheel on not to catch the 2 little plastic tabs that are part of the turn signal return apparatus. They will break off pretty easily if you get carelss and don't pull the the wheel straight out or you aren't attentive to how you are repositioning the new wheel as you try to align it. I tripped the light and couldn't get the new wheel perfectly aligned after several tries and ended up visiting my mechanic, otherwise it was an easy do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Stearing Wheel SWAP on my 993