Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Do I need to carry a spare DME relay? (noob)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 01:06 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
I'm waiting for someone to say, "I bought a back-up relay and then got worried that it might fail so I bought another one because if the one that is in the car failed and I replaced it with my back-up, I wouldn't have a back-up for the replacement. But then I got to thinking that the back-up to my back-up would fail, so I bought a third relay as a back-up for my back-up for my back-up...."

It is possible to overthink this guys....An old relay, in the car and working, along with a back-up relay will probably last you for years.
As I said - I had my spare 6 years caring in the door pocket. And then - car won't start in the middle of nowhere w/o cell phone coverage. Changed the relay and everything worked fine. Just imagine the cost and trouble if I wouldn't have a spare, remembered that I had it in the door pocket and thx to this board was knowledgeable enough.

Jack
Old 06-03-2013, 10:09 AM
jlivingood
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So does it matter much if the relay is an official Porsche part or one made by Kaehler? The latter is what my local shop seems to have decided to order me, rather than the Porsche part (though they will take it back if needed).
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 AM
deactivateduser66
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha!

Originally Posted by pegdrag
I know that even reading this thread will make my DME break....bastages, all of you.

Quick Reply: Do I need to carry a spare DME relay? (noob)