Sponsored by:

OT: Must see! June 2013 issue of Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
^^^Says the guy with 6,314 posts in a Porsche car forum...

Originally Posted by PecosBill
Hobbies can be a huge part of one's identity, much like one's occupation. That does not mean that the hobbies are really more important than people. But, take away your toys, are you the same guy? Gearheads love their cars, and it is not unusual to hear one express his passion in the same way as the writer. Of course, you are way too cool to ever do that. These cars are just a simple distraction for you, I guess. But then, that begs the question, why do you spend so much tome posting here?
Ahem.
Attached Images     
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by vaujot
That's Jack Baruth, who writes for Thetruthaboutcars.com and a few other places. He did a review of his 993 there some time ago. I think, I posted it here back then. My 1995 Carrera
Baruth also wrote a series on what he considers Porsche's deadly sins that is worthwhile to read.
Pretty much everything he's ever written is worthwile. He posts on here occasionally, too.

Originally Posted by nile13
And later: "On dry roads, it’s possible to exit a turn in second gear, floor the throttle, and drift the exit for hundreds of feet sideways, bouncing off the limiter. When you’re ready to straighten out, take your hands off the wheel, let it self-center, modulate the throttle, find the rear grip, shift to third, take the wheel again. Great fun. I’ve done it dozens of times."

Stay away from this man's advise and stay as far away from him on the road as you possibly can. If he was my student at an autocross course I'd use a tire iron to make sure he doesn't do this, ever.

This, of course, is followed by: "The last time I did it, it was raining, the road had too much standing water, there wasn’t enough road friction to center the steering wheel, and when I relaxed the throttle I abruptly exited the road surface to stage right, bouncing up a curb and past a telephone pole at sixty-three miles per hour.". Well, duh! think this man's middle name is Archie, no?
Do you have any professional racing licenses?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Pretty much everything he's ever written is worthwile. He posts on here occasionally, too.

Do you have any professional racing licenses?
Did you even read what was written? Do you need to be able to fly to know how to eat chicken?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Did you even read what was written? Do you need to be able to fly to know how to eat chicken?
LOL.

FIFY:

Did you even read what was written? Do you need to be able to know how to fly to crash a chicken?
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

And later: "On dry roads, it’s possible to exit a turn in second gear, floor the throttle, and drift the exit for hundreds of feet sideways, bouncing off the limiter. When you’re ready to straighten out, take your hands off the wheel, let it self-center, modulate the throttle, find the rear grip, shift to third, take the wheel again. Great fun. I’ve done it dozens of times."

Stay away from this man's advise and stay as far away from him on the road as you possibly can. If he was my student at an autocross course I'd use a tire iron to make sure he doesn't do this, ever.

This, of course, is followed by: "The last time I did it, it was raining, the road had too much standing water, there wasn’t enough road friction to center the steering wheel, and when I relaxed the throttle I abruptly exited the road surface to stage right, bouncing up a curb and past a telephone pole at sixty-three miles per hour.". Well, duh! think this man's middle name is Archie, no?
+993 I am with you on this one Mike.....

The guy has an interesting writing style that is quite enjoyable, however based on the article and some posts he has made after the fact (hitting railings, sending fellow racers away in an ambulance, his Phaeton incident where he nearly collected a flagging station) The guy is a danger to him self and any others around him.

Additionally the only way to make a 993 'drift the exit for hundreds of feet sideways' is to have completely bald tires that are over inflated. I call bull$hit on that one.....
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That also doesn't consider the guy took a 3.5 year old kid for a ride around a race track "dicing with a black boxster" What did the kid have for a helmet?

This guy is an idiot of the greatest level, he should be carted away by the police for willfull endangerment.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Yes, I did. In fact, as I implied in my previous post, I've read most of Jack's writing, so I'm aware that these worrisome quotations on which you've shed light for us are probably slightly hyperbolic.

Again, I'm just curious - either you omitted this from your response or I just overlooked it - do you hold any professional racing driver licenses?

Nota Bene: Nile13, if you click on this link and read the contents (and/or investigate parts II - IV of the series) you may have a heart attack and die, so proceed with caution. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...eed-explained/
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Enjoy Road & Track while you can. It's rumored about to be dumped or merged with Car and Driver (both published by Hearst).
Old 05-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Again, I'm just curious - either you omitted this from your response or I just overlooked it - do you hold any professional racing driver licenses?
The point is that it doesn't matter one whit if Mike does or does not possess a professional or amateur racing license. If you have hit curbs, guardrails and the like on a regular basis, you're fair game to be criticized. By anyone.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I did. In fact, as I implied in my previous post, I've read most of Jack's writing, so I'm aware that these worrisome quotations on which you've shed light for us are probably slightly hyperbolic.

Nota Bene: Nile13, if you click on this link and read the contents (and/or investigate parts II - IV of the series) you may have a heart attack and die, so proceed with caution. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...eed-explained/
What's having professional racing licenses have to do with anything? Know how easy it would be for any of us here to be on the grid for the Daytona 24 Hours next year? (Hint: what's in your bank account.)

I'm with Mike, Steven, etc. on kinda going "huh" when I read the R&T column. (Had no knowledge of him other than that, except for now what's been posted here.)

While hyperbole has a place in most automotive writing, understand that nearly everyone in the audience has not progressed beyond the pony trot level on the scale of limits. My feeling over the past 30+ years is to not plainly misrepresent the proper techniques required.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guest89, I've already answered your question. But, for your benefit, I'll say this - I'm in my 14th season of autocrossing and about 8th year of instructing with about 250 events under my belt. So when I see the picture of white car between cones in, shall we say, compromised position and read Jack's description of letting steering wheel go to bring the car out of a slide, I can make a pretty good conclusion. They do not issue us, parking lot hacks, real licenses, professional or otherwise. But I can honestly tell you that I've gotten into autocrossing in the first place precisely because I was driving just as Jack is describing. With very similar results.

Now, mind you, I'm sure that he's just being cute and not really writing what he means, rather pandering to pimply teenagers reading about cool cars. But, God forbid, the aforementioned pimply teenagers take his advice and let go of a steering wheel while doing the cool drifting around the corner in your nice neighborhood... are you personally willing to defend him then?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Guest89, I've already answered your question. But, for your benefit, I'll say this - I'm in my 14th season of autocrossing and about 8th year of instructing with about 250 events under my belt. So when I see the picture of white car between cones in, shall we say, compromised position and read Jack's description of letting steering wheel go to bring the car out of a slide, I can make a pretty good conclusion. They do not issue us, parking lot hacks, real licenses, professional or otherwise. But I can honestly tell you that I've gotten into autocrossing in the first place precisely because I was driving just as Jack is describing. With very similar results.

Now, mind you, I'm sure that he's just being cute and not really writing what he means, rather pandering to pimply teenagers reading about cool cars. But, God forbid, the aforementioned pimply teenagers take his advice and let go of a steering wheel while doing the cool drifting around the corner in your nice neighborhood... are you personally willing to defend him then?
When you watch Top Gear do you call to complain about the way Jeremy & Co. are driving?

Not many pimply teenagers driving (or interested in) air-cooled 911s; this board skews toward a very old crowd, as do the sites he writes for and R&T which, sadly, may be at risk of extinction.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am sure that some older people absolutely crave admiration of pimply teenagers. Don't worry, writing drivel for money is socially excusable. Writing it "for fun" is a bit scary.

PS. On truly rare occasions that I watch TopGear I cringe. Not because the way they drive. But because the way they truly have no respect for cars, any cars.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 349 Posts

Stay away from this man's advise
"advice"...Jes' sayin'
Old 05-29-2013, 11:47 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

You are ignoring the issue...such a yahoo...anyone who advises lifting the throttle mid turn in a 911 should have there fingernails pulled

Quick Reply: OT: Must see! June 2013 issue of Road & Track