Sponsored by:

Left Front shocks leak! Porsche mechanic wants 1,600 for the fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left Front shocks leak! Porsche mechanic wants 1,600 for the fix

I took my porsche 993 with 37k miles on it. And in the 20 point inspection it says the LF Shocks are leaking. I called some other porsche mechanics up and they want 1,600 for the fix. Is that good? What will happen if I don't fix it. Thanks
Old 05-26-2013, 12:06 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 407 Posts

Not unusual for shocks to go bad over 15-18 years. I just paid about $1k just for install and alignment of my shocks. I would go with some upgraded aftermarket shocks instead of the factory Monroe/borge shocks. Many threads for you to read about this.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:10 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Probably not critical to replace right away. But like Pirahna said, these OEM Monroe shocks last maybe 40,000 miles on a car less than 10 years of age. At 15-18 yrs, they are probably all worn.

Fortunately, even with shot shocks, these 993's still ride pretty well. But you'll notice how good they CAN ride with a new set of shocks all around.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Sounds like your car is giving you a lot of fits, based on posts I've seen. Did you just buy it, or did you get a PPI?
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

PSS10's
Old 05-26-2013, 03:20 AM
zenithblue993
Racer

oh ok thanks for the info. And ya i just got the car last month lol! but sadly i got the car cause my father passed away. Just trying to fix all the bugs in the car. So would it be bad to drive with the shock leaking? What does the leaking actually mean? I'm sure it will feel better with new shocks but their not to bad right now. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

For approx $3k, you can have all new springs, shocks, alignment and labor. I wouldnt spend $1600 on one shock when you can get it all for less than double. Regardless, whether you opt for one or another, the cost is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dmurchison
oh ok thanks for the info. And ya i just got the car last month lol! but sadly i got the car cause my father passed away. Just trying to fix all the bugs in the car. So would it be bad to drive with the shock leaking? What does the leaking actually mean? I'm sure it will feel better with new shocks but their not to bad right now. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Do your research on the forums and decide on how you will use the car, fun car, track, garage queen etc. There are varied discussions on the suspension setups avail for the car, all have their place depending on usage and what you want out of it. Totally agree its time/age of the components so there are some other bits that should be replaced besides all shocks.

Yes you can drive around on the leaking shocks, but large potholes etc, will be felt and cause quite the shunt to drivers and passengers. I have a theory that this really doesn't help with the creaking windshield issues either.

enjoy the ride,

rob
Old 05-26-2013, 11:15 AM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one front shock is leaking the chances are that the other front shock (and most likely the rears) are not too far behind. If you do one shock now and then the other goes bad, you have to spend money again on the alignment.

If you just plan on just driving and not going to the track, or ultimately selling the car have stock shocks installed all the way around and pay one time for alignment.

Howard
1997 911
Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM
zenithblue993
Racer

Right the 1600 was actually for the 2 front shocks. So it seems like thats around the average costs for the repair. For now i'll be sure to avoid large potholes! But i'll deff get this fixed at one point. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-26-2013, 02:04 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would seriously think about doing the full suspension upgrade so think hard about how you want to use the car. INMHO you should at least have the car lowered.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:27 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 482 Posts

With the issues you are experiencing, I would STRONGLY recommend finding a good independent shop that specializes in older aircooled cars such as the 993. It sounds like the car has a few of the issues these cars develop with age. Completely normal and easily fixed with a little time and money.

As others have said, I would look at refreshing the suspension at this point. There are MANY different ways to go about this with varying degrees of cost. Even the most basic (read cheapest) change in suspension will feel like a transformation. Search PSS10, Koni FSD, ROW M030, ROW M033, Bilstein HD, KW V-3 to name the most popular. Also consider changing the control arm bushings ( search Walrod bushings). I'd also consider finding owners with various setups to try before committing to a certain setup as feel is subjective.

Take your time and enjoy the process, it makes the ownership experience much sweeter.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Emmanuel
Advanced

I bought my car a few months ago with just over 31,000 miles one rear shock was leaking and the handling was really scary. Way too soft, and the tires were old (10 years old) despite looking new. I think not only are the shocks really horrible but with time I think the springs start loosing their properties as well and the car is way too soft. So I bought the bullet and bought a set of PSS10 from Tire Rack, I did not find anybody who could match their price. A good install with alignment and 4 corner balance and you won't believe the difference. My car is a convertible and because of that I set the PSS at 3 up front and 4 at the rear. Perfect for LA streets. The car corners flat but soaks every bump easily without rattles, it feels like new car, amazing for a 17 years old car. It's not harsh but yet it is very sure footed. It was pricey, but I think it is with good tires the single best improvement one can do to the 993. Also, before, under hard acceleration, either one or both rear wheels would bounce, this has all disappeared and the car is perfectly smooth and linear.

I don't know why Porsche choose Monroe to supply shock for the US models but I believe cost played a big part. Also, there is this belief in Europe that Americans only drive 55mph and use cheap tires in their cars, so performance was not as important in that market.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

A complete set of Bilstein HDs are around $1300 at shox.com.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

If you do not track your car or do DE days, then all you need are something like Koni FSD or maybe Bilstein HDs at the most.

Quite a few here on RL have installed the Koni FSD shock and are very happy with them. So a search on RL.

And they can be had on sale from Paragon Products for a mere $950...with FREE shipping.

You can even use your factory springs if they aren't tired and at your mileage, they shouldn't be.

Quick Reply: Left Front shocks leak! Porsche mechanic wants 1,600 for the fix