Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Fan Belt Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

this much thought about an $85 dollar part that typically fails maybe once every 5 years?

guys, just the oil for an oil change costs $85. Just buy a new part and install it.

bypassing a sensor that confirms correct operation of the most important part of the cooling system seems like an awfully poor decision if you ask me.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I saw the shine of a metal edge, but those are sealed bearings...that have what appears to have a failed grease shield.

In most cases the dust/grease shields can be popped out and the bearings within their cage are in plain view. Some would wash out the bearing, repack them and pop the shield back in. Problem is, if the bearing has run dry, damage has already been done.

An open bearing would not last long in that set-up.

Bearings wear out/fail; you just replace the assembly or the bearing.
As usual, Alex is correct

Based upon this thread, this is not his first rodeo
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ulverized.html
Old 05-26-2013, 06:33 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
this much thought about an $85 dollar part that typically fails maybe once every 5 years?

guys, just the oil for an oil change costs $85. Just buy a new part and install it.

bypassing a sensor that confirms correct operation of the most important part of the cooling system seems like an awfully poor decision if you ask me.
Quad,
Maybe, but Bruce's failed after 2 yrs and 30k miles. That seems premature to me. Hopefully, that was an exception and not the rule, right? If it was 5 yrs and 70k, then I would agree...

Perhaps Porsche found a vendor who would fabricate the fan belt sensor for less $$, and went with them without checking the bearing sources or quality assurance of the mfg process.

I agree that this would be a bean-counter move; but this is a bean-counter world in which we live. Quality Assurance is dead throughout the world; not in all cases, but most; and setting up and adhereing to a good dynamic QA system is an exception rather than the rule.

Please dont bother quoting AS9100, ISO9000, or any other QA system. Corps put the QA documentation into play, bur rarely adhere to their own stated procedures or requirments. Its really not much more than smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by nine9six; 05-26-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Quad,
Maybe, but Bruce's failed after 2 yrs and 30k miles. That seems premature to me. Hopefully, that was an exception and not the rule, right? If it was 5 yrs and 70k, than I would agree...

Perhaps Porsche found a vendor who would fabricate the fan belt sensor for less $$, and went with them without checking the bearing sources or quality assurance of the mfg process.

I agree that this would be a bean-counter move; but this is a bean-counter world in which we live. Quality Assurance is dead throughout the world; not in all cases, but most; and setting up and adhereing to a good dynamic QA system is an exception rather than the rule.

Please dont bother quoting AS9100, ISO9000, or any other QA system. Corps put the QA documentation into play, bur rarely adhere to their own stated procedures or requirments. Its really not much more than smoke and mirrors.
fair point, but I don't find this to be a standard life span.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:49 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Bruce's failed after 2 yrs and 30k miles. That seems premature to me.
It certainly is.

There have been cases where the bearings weren't packed adequately by the manufacturers...not referring to this case, but cheap bearings...even some name brands (but rare).

Loading isn't an issue; if anything maybe the maximum RPM for the bearing is being reached. I don't know. Get the plastic wheel circumference and then work with the length of the outer surface of the belt, the engine pulley diameter and engine RPM to get bearing RPM.

Please don't bother quoting AS9100, ISO9000, or any other QA system.
People get fooled by a number that only covers "traceability" in some cases.

This part will be an item on my shopping list this summer.

Last edited by IXLR8; 05-26-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:10 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
fair point, but I don't find this to be a standard life span.
I agree...Up to this point it may not be a standard life span.
But maybe if a vendor swap was done 2 yrs ago, which may coincide with Bruce's last purchase of his new sensor.

Any of the same part purchased prior, would not expect to go bad for another 3 - 5 yrs or so.

If this were the case, perhaps in another 3-5 yrs we'll see a rash of failing fb sensor bearings.
You'd have to wait for the bad lot to be mfg, purchased, reach circulation, and live their premature lifespan before you would realize them as bad bearings by the nature of their premature life span.

Quick Reply: Broken Fan Belt Sensor