Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Misfire while accelerating

Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 PM
porsche_fan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post Misfire while accelerating

I recently changed the distributor caps and rotors on my normally aspirated 993.

The engine idles quite well and drives very smoothly at slow speeds. Once accelerating, the engine misfires (misfires hard enough that it is easily felt in the car).

The distributor caps and rotors all look to be installed securely and are fitted correctly.

My question is: is it possible that I inadvertently switched a pair of spark plug wires?

If a pair of spark plug wires are switched, could the engine idle smoothly but misfire under acceleration at higher revs?

Thanks much.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche_fan
I recently changed the distributor caps and rotors on my normally aspirated 993.
Was the misfire there before the change?

Originally Posted by porsche_fan
My question is: is it possible that I inadvertently switched a pair of spark plug wires?
Are all wire caps firmly pressed and snapped into the distributor caps?

A quick check will confirm proper location of wires.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:14 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely.

You likely have two wires swapped. Since we have twin ignition, a swapped wire can be masked because the 'other' plug handles the combustion for the cylinder.

To narrow it down, with the car off, remove one of the coil wires at one of the distributors. Place the end of the wire so it does not arc to something metal when the car is started. Then start the car and see how it idles.

The car should idle reasonably well on either distributor by itself. The lower left belt driven distributor cap sends spark to the top plugs. The upper right shaft driven distributor cap sends spark to the bottom plugs.

Good picture with labels - credit to IXLR8: http://edelweiss.smugmug.com/Cars/Po...4492&k=p4Q9Vrq

The picture and comparing with your installation should be sufficient to see what's amiss. There ignition wires should have labels on them, but they are often difficult to find.

EDIT: Yep, Alex has you covered. His response was not present when I started replying. Sorry for the redundancy.

Last edited by BesideTheBox; 05-25-2013 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Alex responded...
Old 05-25-2013, 04:16 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Was the misfire there before the change?

Are all wire caps firmly pressed and snapped into the distributor caps?

A quick check will confirm proper location of wires.

Very nice diagram, Alex! You never disappoint
Old 05-25-2013, 04:23 PM
porsche_fan
Advanced

Those are great suggestions. Thanks for the help.

The misfire wasn't present prior to starting this project, so I am going to check the wires carefully. I think that is likely where I made a mistake.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:27 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default IF the misfire was there before the new caps...

I discovered after about a year of ownership that the plug wire harness that leads to the lower plugs on bank I was flipped over before it ran through the engine tin.

So although the wires were correct at the distributors, plug 1 and 3 wires on the bottom side of the engine were swapped.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ed-solved.html

For me, finding and fixing this resolved an infrequent misfire when making a long left turn from a dead stop.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:00 AM
porsche_fan
Advanced

Just to follow up -- I had switched the plug wires for cylinders 3 and 5 on the bottom distributor.

Glad it was an easy fix.

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Misfire while accelerating