993 Forum 1995-1998

Help me with this 993 ppi

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Help me with this 993 ppi

I'm looking at purchasing a 993 and after getting in contact with the shop that did all the service since new (and actually had the car sitting in front of them as they performed an oil change), they pointed out some previous damage to the rear fender. When given the information the owner admitted someone had backed into it in a parking lot causing a 1" deep dent that was professionally repaired and repainted.

What price would you expect to pay for an otherwise nice example of a 97' C2S 6-speed black/black with this repaired damage, mid 30's mileage and how much would it bother you that the owner who owned the car when it happened failed to disclose it? Would this damage be a deal-breaker for most of you when buying a car?

Last edited by destaccado; 05-21-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, a 1" dent that has zero structural damage and was repaired properly is not an issue.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 PM
aarrow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ask the seller if there had been any paint work or damage of any kind, before the PPI was preformed?

For a 16 year old car, I'd be content if a 1" blemish was the only thing repaired. It sounds like an otherwise nice example and with only 30K miles, I'd put it at $38-46K
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In my mind I was only buying 1 993 C2S and passed over every one that showed signs of abuse, damage, etc. I wanted a pristine example and found one. I would pass on a C2S with 35k miles and body / paint work - it would always bother me. On the other hand if I was looking for a 90k "driver" then I'd expect some non-perfections.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aarrow
Did you ask the seller if there had been any paint work or damage of any kind, before the PPI was preformed?

For a 16 year old car, I'd be content if a 1" blemish was the only thing repaired. It sounds like an otherwise nice example and with only 30K miles, I'd put it at $38-46K
The seller said the paint condition was excellent - I didn't ask him about paint work or damage.

I believe the dent was probably larger that 1" -- but claimed 1" deep. The cost is higher than your range.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The dent would not bother me if it was as the seller said, but since it was noticeable to the mechanic, I would think twice - especially if you are planning to keep as a low-miles example.

For pricing, are you saying the car needs nothing?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
In my mind I was only buying 1 993 C2S and passed over every one that showed signs of abuse, damage, etc. I wanted a pristine example and found one. I would pass on a C2S with 35k miles and body / paint work - it would always bother me. On the other hand if I was looking for a 90k "driver" then I'd expect some non-perfections.
Thanks for your input. If you were looking for a driver what price would it have to be before you'd consider the 35k car?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vincer77
The dent would not bother me if it was as the seller said, but since it was noticeable to the mechanic, I would think twice - especially if you are planning to keep as a low-miles example.

For pricing, are you saying the car needs nothing?
I'm not sure it's noticeable to the mechanic - the mechanic simply knew about it since he's serviced the car since it was brand new and told me. He also said he wouldn't hesitate to recommend the car to a relative.

I'm not saying it needs nothing -- it's still on the original Monroe shocks and those are probably close to expiration if only due to the mileage -- other than that it appears to be a well-maintained one owner car.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 362 Posts

$45-52k The paint work wouldn't bother me if repaired correctly.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We're all wired differently. I wouldn't buy it with body work and in some ways I'd always wonder if it was repaired right, if the paint would hold up, if there was other damage not reported, if there were other issues I'd find (if he didn't mention the obvious damage repair...), etc. If I was looking for a 35k mile "pristine keeper" I'd keep looking. If I was looking for a 60k plus driver and this 35k version was priced the same because of the damage, then it would be a bonus. At 18 years old these are all subject to a wide variable on actual condition. I saw some 25k versions that were terrible and some 50k versions that were fantastic. I kept looking until I found the best of both worlds. Perfect condition and care and 18k miles for a reasonable price. That's after 6 hard months of looking.

Only you can say what this particular car is worth to you. It was represented without damage and ends up had damage, so the seller should respond accordingly. It was like with my car and my PPI - they discovered the windshield washer pump wasn't working, so the seller replaced it (and the out-of-date tires) on his dime. That's how I worded our contract because he truly believed the car was perfect and when it turned out it needed a few things he stepped up.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you see the repair? If not, then who cares. You should expect dings and dents on 16 year old car. With only 30k miles it should have pretty good exterior otherwise.

30k mile C2S can easily go for 50+, if not high 50's, because they are just so rare. So if you value C2S WB then it's more matter of negotiation between you and seller. There are not that many comps. Most people on this forum think WB are overpriced, but many people with lots of money don't spend time on forums (obviously I'm no one of them). But it's matter of personal preference. I bought 4S and love the look, so I don't care that I could have gotten cheaper NB.

My worry would be the low mileage. It's not the best value IMO. Because of low mileage they command pretty high premium, but my logic tells me it's better for the car to be driven. 30k mile car is as likely, if not more, to develop issues than 60k mile car that was properly driven and maintained.

What did compression and leak test say? Was there oil sippage? Were there SAI issues? Those are much more important questions than a 1 inch dent.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM
eeterp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

97' C2S 6-speed black/black with this repaired damage, mid 30's mileage ....

$52K - $56K

depends on options and modifications
Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eeterp
97' C2S 6-speed black/black with this repaired damage, mid 30's mileage ....

$52K - $56K

depends on options and modifications
I've been looking for a while and tend to agree with this price-range and based on the options on this car it would be spot on with your pricing. Unfortunately -- when I first saw the price I thought I was getting a perfect car without damage and now that it appears otherwise it's went from a great deal to an average one.

Thanks for all the advice guys -- I'm going to pass.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM
pmalenfa
Racer

Originally Posted by destaccado

I've been looking for a while and tend to agree with this price-range and based on the options on this car it would be spot on with your pricing. Unfortunately -- when I first saw the price I thought I was getting a perfect car without damage and now that it appears otherwise it's went from a great deal to an average one.

Thanks for all the advice guys -- I'm going to pass.
A perfect, fully original 1997 C2S with 35k miles is VERY rare... If the repair is perfect, this car is priced properly IMHO, it will sell.

You might search for a long time but if you want a fully original car, you make the right decision. Shopping p-car is fun, enjoy!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 PM
Bully67
Racer

Wow - don't think I could let that one go. Finally found one after 6 months of looking that passed PPI and I snapped it up...

Quick Reply: Help me with this 993 ppi