993 Forum 1995-1998

Poll: New product offering for Aero Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Poll: New product offering for Aero Mirrors

One of the products I am working on is a Styrene or Polycarb cover that can snap on over our side mirrors. They need to have a tight fit so vibration does not cause paint wear and need to stay put at high speed. Even though the prototype shown is Styrene, I am looking into Polycarb (clear) that can be painted from the inside.
The purpose of these is to protect against rock chips and marble clods at the track, but also to color code for track ID (ten "silver" 993s at a recent event could have different color mirrors) and even color mathcing for those of us who have multiple sets of rims in interesting colors. The design shown is preliminatry and will wrap aroud the edge of the mirror (near the glass) to keep secure. The target market price I am looking to hit is $40/pair and have everything sent out right now for quotes and patent.

So, would you buy these? I hope to become a sponsor when I am ready to launch at least half of the products currently in develpment.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Sicko- I'm in bro!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

cost to repaint mirrors is minimal, so I'm ok just respraying them ever few years.

good idea for the more **** out there.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Also, I have clear bra on mine, so a direct vinyl or "blue tape" didnt work well which is why I thought this might be a good solution.

Would it be better to offer them painted for an additional $20/pair?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
One of the products I am working on is a Styrene or Polycarb cover that can snap on over our side mirrors. They need to have a tight fit so vibration does not cause paint wear and need to stay put at high speed. Even though the prototype shown is Styrene, I am looking into Polycarb (clear) that can be painted from the inside.
The purpose of these is to protect against rock chips and marble clods at the track, but also to color code for track ID (ten "silver" 993s at a recent event could have different color mirrors) and even color mathcing for those of us who have multiple sets of rims in interesting colors. The design shown is preliminatry and will wrap aroud the edge of the mirror (near the glass) to keep secure. The target market price I am looking to hit is $40/pair and have everything sent out right now for quotes and patent.

So, would you buy these? I hope to become a sponsor when I am ready to launch at least half of the products currently in develpment.

[IMG][/IMG]

Definitely interested if / when you make mirror caps for B8 Audis
Gotta have silver caps to complete the S4 poseur look.......

good luck

Craig
Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm interested in this and am in for a set. Unpainted.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Also, I have clear bra on mine, so a direct vinyl or "blue tape" didnt work well which is why I thought this might be a good solution.

Would it be better to offer them painted for an additional $20/pair?
I think offering a few basic colors would increase your demand.

I personally would rather spend the $20 and get the color delivered to me, if I had to go get the painted, that is just more hassle and time for me.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Interested

I agree would purchase if the additional painting would be added for a reasonable fee
Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

They need to have a tight fit so vibration does not cause paint wear.
Even at that, you'll still get dust between the layers and fretting will cause abrasion. Rain along with dust will be drawn in by capillary action.

Its also the reason why I don't want to install the ABS under hood panel recently posted. Not unless I am laying thin layers of closed cell foam between the two surfaces to prevent paint abrasion.

Those covers might be something DE guys want. Put them on before and take them off after each event.

Forgot to mention, beautiful work though. I know it is a prototype, but the edge distance varies.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like them. For DE's the would be perfect. I use the bra type mirror covers now but these would be so much better. Definitely offer them painted and ready to snap on for a weekend at the track. Can't wait to see what else you have planned.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:57 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Even at that, you'll still get dust between the layers and fretting will cause abrasion.
Those covers might be something DE guys want. Put them on before and take them off after each event.

Forgot to mention, beautiful work though. I know it is a prototype, but the edge distance varies.
Alex hit my concerns...
abrasion - Perhaps not an issue with occasional DE'ers who take them off after the weekend or the hardcore just looking for a color match and don't care about the underlying mirror (because racecar...)

It looks like they need to wrap around the mirror trailing edge to clean up the look. And they'll hold on better and not allow water in between paint & cover.

At $40 or so, it would be tempting to buy a set to use for DEs in some flashy racy colors....and I'm sure they'll add at least 10hp at the track....

Last edited by kjr914; 05-20-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I like them. Are these a semi-permanent install? I like the idea of taking them on and off, and offering some standard colors with an upcharge for unique color requests.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd be ready to pay a little prime to have them already painted. Orange or blue would contrast with the white.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

The final design will wrap around the edge. Different equipement and tooling needed to do this so the prototype is not final. These are meant to be "stretched" over the OE mirror housings with no movement once installed. Then easy removal when you are done. No adhesive, easy on and off. Theft may be a problem which is why I want to make them as "invisible" as possible.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a great idea, I wish you luck RS. You can put me down for a pair.

Quick Reply: Poll: New product offering for Aero Mirrors