Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help removing gear shift knob!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help removing gear shift ****!!!

This is a '98 S. Stock shifter. It will NOT pull off.

First pic shows base of ****, which is a very thick black plastic material, not rubber. I could not knock it off using a hammer/screw driver technique.

Second pic is the top of the **** after removing the center decorative (gear shift pattern) piece. Not sure what I'm looking at in there. Does that screw out?

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images   
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Jim....STOP!
Looks like you're performing Orthopaedic surgery. No need to remove the shift pattern. Your shifter probably has never been removed its entire life, so it's on there really tight.
Go back to first pic, gear in Neutral, grab the shifter with one hand, while the second hand secure the metal shift rod below. Now try to wiggle the shifter fore and aft, and pulling up at the same time. The inside material that's directly against the metal shift rod is very dense rubbery foam. There's not much lateral articulation since the rod is rectangular in cross-section, if you know what I mean. When I did mine, I thought I saw some adhesive. Once you feel some movement fore and aft, grab the shifter with both hands, and pull straight up. You'll need some muscle, here. Let me warn you, do not position your face or head directly above the shifter. Once the shifter lets go, you WILL punch yourself in the forehead. Ask me how I know
Old 05-04-2013, 08:10 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Do not knock your self out ...
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

I just removed my RS shift **** and replaced it with a C2S **** today. The RS one went on and came off very easily but the S **** was very hard to put on. I had to cover it with some microfiber towels then cover those with a old rubber knee pad so that I could hammer it on with a rubber mallet. I'm still not sure it is inserted all the way in because I didn't want to hit it too hard. I'm not looking forward to ever getting this thing off again.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:07 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the following. Remove the entire center tunnel cover facia. This is very easy. This will allow you to place a wood 2x4 on the metal exposed tunnel frame to act as a fulcrum for a crowbar perpendicular to the gear shift tunnel. Take a crowbar large enough using the curved end and place it under the rubber end of the gear shift and pry it up.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:21 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
I just removed my RS shift **** and replaced it with a C2S **** today. The RS one went on and came off very easily but the S **** was very hard to put on. I had to cover it with some microfiber towels then cover those with a old rubber knee pad so that I could hammer it on with a rubber mallet. I'm still not sure it is inserted all the way in because I didn't want to hit it too hard. I'm not looking forward to ever getting this thing off again.
They make rubber mallets too.

P-daddy, has the solution. I'm sure yours is probably glued on with an adhesive.
Work it by rocking the shift **** to break the adhesive free. Than pull up using two screwdriver parallel to each other. Dont knock yourself out.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:26 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
I just removed my RS shift **** and replaced it with a C2S **** today.
Can you show before and after pix? I'm thinking about doing exactly what you did
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Can you show before and after pix? I'm thinking about doing exactly what you did
I didn't have the RS **** in long enough to take any pics. I will try and take a picture tomorrow of the C2s ****. I still need to install the C2S brake handle later next week.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the RS **** and I'm starting to get the urge to change it to the turbo ball shifter. My car came w the RS one in it already... Where did u get ur ball shifter from?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Got it! I broke the adhesive bond below with some WD40 then tugged three times straight up and it was off.

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

After watching a few videos of people violently hammering away at their gear shift ****, I sought a safer solution less susceptible to damaging the car.

I simply cut a notch in a 2x4 (1.5x3 actually), and supported one end with a few books while jacking up the other end slowly by hand. Safe and easy and the gear shift **** slides right off without taking out an eye.

The tool for the job

Support one end with books

Take a jack on other end and slowly jack up the board.

The gear shift **** slides right off safely without knocking yourself unconscious
Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
After watching a few videos of people violently hammering away at their gear shift ****, I sought a safer solution less susceptible to damaging the car.

I simply cut a notch in a 2x4 (1.5x3 actually), and supported one end with a few books while jacking up the other end slowly by hand. Safe and easy and the gear shift **** slides right off without taking out an eye.

The tool for the job

Support one end with books

Take a jack on other end and slowly jack up the board.

The gear shift **** slides right off safely without knocking yourself unconscious
You sir are a genius!!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Jim's post is epic doe!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Epic indeed, Jim.
By far the best use of legal books ever intended.
The following users liked this post:
alsamrob4 (01-18-2021)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:35 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fsa
Epic indeed, Jim.
By far the best use of legal books ever intended.
And of the factory jack, too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help removing gear shift knob!!!