Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Good replies Joe. Very professional.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
Quadcammer,
Why not accept the gracious invitation that was extended to you and report back to the group on your observations?
because I have a turbo. this is about NA cars.

that said, I do appreciate the invite. I have fabspeed muffler deletes on my car...but those don't add any power either
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

since we have the opportunity to constructively communicate with Mr. fabspeed himself... and i mean no disrespect in any of the following...

a lot of us have had your airbox and deleted it for one reason or another. these topics are littered all over Rennlist. My anecdotal guess, maybe its 2:3 ratio of those who change back to stock or wouldnt recommend your box for whatever reason they decide to pick from.

the most common theme seems to be the physical makeup of your product. why not beef it up and make it more like a real OE box? you may find a much more favorable response to that. ditch the fake carbon, i dont think anyone cares how it looks, we do care how substantial it is... just make it the same thickness and integrity as the stock part. In that case i probably would not have ditched mine if it didnt feel like something from toys-r-us complete with double sided foam tape on one side to help seal it.

i think i will know your answer though: Money
and coming from a family who made their living in product design, and manufacturing, i totally understand that.

this temps me to find a stock box and cut it, in the shape of yours...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

A few years ago I posted results of my street runs using my data logger to calculate hp and found a few hp from the Fabspeed (open) airbox with K&N filter. But this was ONLY at high RPMs, which makes sense since air flow restriction at low-mid range is so much less.

The main problem with the Fabspeed airbox is that YOU CANNOT USE FACTORY AIR FILTERS!!! OEM filters have a flimsy felt frame that the Fabspeed box doesn't firmly hold, so the filter will collapse into the air box. Then it blocks the intake and you lose power. So you MUST use a K&N style filter, which are much more rigid than OEM.

So a better solution, if you really want these extra couple hp up near redline, is to simply cut up your factory air box cover. Or drill some holes in it like so many people have done.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
since we have the opportunity to constructively communicate with Mr. fabspeed himself... and i mean no disrespect in any of the following...

a lot of us have had your airbox and deleted it for one reason or another. these topics are littered all over Rennlist. My anecdotal guess, maybe its 2:3 ratio of those who change back to stock or wouldnt recommend your box for whatever reason they decide to pick from.

the most common theme seems to be the physical makeup of your product. why not beef it up and make it more like a real OE box? you may find a much more favorable response to that. ditch the fake carbon, i dont think anyone cares how it looks, we do care how substantial it is... just make it the same thickness and integrity as the stock part. In that case i probably would not have ditched mine if it didnt feel like something from toys-r-us complete with double sided foam tape on one side to help seal it.

i think i will know your answer though: Money
and coming from a family who made their living in product design, and manufacturing, i totally understand that.

this temps me to find a stock box and cut it, in the shape of yours...
EMB,
Nicely articulated thoughts...Especially regarding the release of a product that may maximize profit over durability and yet to be proven, performance.

I believe your comments on modifying an OEM cover is head and shoulders in durability over the aformentioned product. Again, who knows what performance gain (if any) would actually be realized by the aftermarket or a modified OEM cover.

Personally, I dont have the time or inclination to test both the aftermarket or modified OEM units on a dyno, back to back, under the same conditions, for an answer.

I think we all have an idea on what the results would be...

Hmm, Porsche engineers left 8 hp on the table through the use of an airbox cover, and then marketed a "motor SOUND" cover that makes no claims to hp increase. Hmmm, interesting...
Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Like I mentioned above, here's a link to a thread about the collapsing filters in Fabspeed airboxes:
LINK

Apparently this has been a known problem as far back as 2004.

Here's what happens:
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! ^^^
Old 05-03-2013, 03:17 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 131 Posts

I have had no issue with collapsing air filters on mine over the year and a half I have had it. I will have to keep an eye on it.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:34 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting about having to use a k&n style filter with the fabspeed cover, because I noticed that a k&n filter does not fit properly with the stock cover because the rubber around the filter is too thick. So this would make the fabspeed cover a proper application if you want to run a better flowing filter element (which is a legitimate way of making power on any engine, even if just a couple of hp).

And who cares about thin material on an airbox cover? As long as it secures the filter element properly and doesnt snap in half when u touch it it's fine. Its not like its high load bearing. It may even save weight! It must at least save more weight than replacing your hood crest with a porsche factory crest sticker.

Oh and I use the stock cover with stock paper filter. Paper does filter better.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Only people who drive flat out will collapse a stock air filter with a Fabspeed airbox cover.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:24 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Without touching the HP claims...

If a car is used as a track toy, that runs OEM filters because of the better micron particulate filtering characteristics; it sounds like the aformentioned product might be less than optimal?

I have instructed my people to go and find it.
Crickets...
Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
So this would make the fabspeed cover a proper application if you want to run a better flowing filter element (which is a legitimate way of making power on any engine, even if just a couple of hp).

Oh and I use the stock cover with stock paper filter. Paper does filter better.
Cotton gauze filters like K&N flow better only when new but filter less well. When dirty, they flow less than dirty paper filters and still don't filter as well.

Unless you have to run it for some reason, OEM paper is the way to go.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holding Fabspeed design accountable for the possibility of filter coming loose with OEM filters is important for another reason:

The collapsing of an air-filter is a serious matter, because if it happens during a moment the air outside is high in dust and possibly debris, that finds its way around the unattached filter, there is no telling the amount of engine damage you can do.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I have run both stock OEM paper filters on my 993 for years and I run the BMC F1 filters from Italy that are a better version of a K&N that dont crack in the corners as the filters are one piece silicone rubber.

I am actually tooled up for carbon fiber high performance air intake parts for many of the watercooled cars but have not be able to cost effectively price carbon airbox lids for the 3.2/964/993 cars. The stock airbox is injected moulded ABS plastic and the mating surfaces are intricate.

I have had tooling for thermoforming my CUP airbox coverlids that works well and I can increase the guage /thickness and have done that. I have also had quotes to enlarge and duplicate the complete 964/993 intake manifolds in larger diameter carbon fiber tubes to allow more airflow just like Porsche had done on certain GT3RSR race cars along with completing GT3 RS4.0 intake parts in carbon fiber for lighter weight and strength.

The issue boils down to tooling/moulding costs and simple sales projections and recovery of investment vis a vis the small niche Porsche market. These are the same considerations all of you guys have in your professional pursuits. I have 3D printed parts in high temperature ABS and proved the parts work on the DYNO and Track................ but sales volume/potential, production costs and risk attenuates the realization. I can 3D print parts in my Dimension Elite.

PCA POC Club racers cant use better intake parts as they will be bumped to a Prepared Class. Collectors and Porsche owners typical daily drivers that are not on this forums wont modify their cars.

DE and Gung ho Porsche owners will make changes to gain power and sports car sound but at a realistic price point as long as parts and simple and reliability is maintained.

Just remember Porsche Motorsport AG stated that the 964 CUP cars 1990-1993 C2 5sp that were bone stock 3.6 liter engines and cutting off the side of the airbox added +8HP. I did my best to duplicate Porsche Motorsports engineering on 911SC, 3.2 Carrera, 964, 993 aircooled cars. Each and every one of these engines picked up real world useable power and sports car sound with my Fabspeed USA CUP style airboxes. I am not BSing anyone

Lastly, in order for one to actually feel more power the typical BUTT DYNO for many starts to feel power at increases of 10HP and more. Trust me +10HP is noticeable and after 20 years of doing this the car feel more energetic and ready to REV and go.
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Last edited by Joe@Fabspeed; 04-29-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as another data point, I've had the Fabspeed airbox cover on for a few years (installed in 2010) and many track miles and have never had a problem using stock air filters. I changed over from a cone filter installed by a previous owner so can't really make any observations regarding power. Sound is definitely louder, especially at high revs but shouldn't be much different for street driving. My engine cover is basically open so it has gotten wet but not soaked.

Quick Reply: Have you tried Fabspeed airbox?