Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 "Diet" and resultant Weight (CORRECTION)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 345 Posts
Default 993 "Diet" and resultant Weight (CORRECTION)

Had "Baby" up on the scales yesterday. After her "diet" she weighed in at 2,912 with 1/4 tank of gas. Subtract the gas, let's say 30 Lbs for 4.75 gallons, and the dry weight is 2,882. Note that the factory spec weight for a 993 RS is 2,800 Lbs, dry (No gas) I believe.

WHOOPS, could be/am most likely probably wrong on the 993 RS weight. According to Joel Reiser, 993 RS DIN weight of 2,800 is the 993 RS car full of all fluids, idling at the curb. That said, Baby with a splash of gas is 2880, add 122 Lbs for a full tank, she'll be at 3,001 at the curb, sans driver. When I am lucky enough to race, I seldom have more than 1/2 a tank on the start, so race weight is 2,941 ish. So, to get to RS DIN weight, I'll have to do at least the following:
1. Sun roof has to go,
2. Power windows have to be replaced with manual
3. Crise Control needs to be removed

Were I too remove all the "Retained" items listed below, I am certain that "Baby" could get to RS weight.

The diet consisted of removing:
1. Replaced stock seats with race seats, removed rear passenger seats,
2. Replaced the door panels with 993 RS panels
3. Replaced the stock carpet with 993 RS carpet from Autos International
4. Removed the heater blower motor in the engine compartment, I still can get heat, albeit a bit weak
5. Replaced various Porsche OEM wheels with O-Z Allegritta wheels (Tire Rack)
6. Deleted the 30 Lb spare
7. Removed the door and package shelf speakers.
8. Replaced the 993 Catalytic Converter with two (2) Fabspeed 200 cell units and a Fabspeed X pipe, noting that the car, with this set up, passed the California emissions test.
9. Removed passenger air bag
10. Replaced factory air bag steering wheel with a removable race unit.
11. Removed lower dash panel

I have retained:
1. Power windows
2. Complete working air conditioning system
3. Retained the sun roof
4. Added a full Heigo cage
5. Added a Ruf oil cooler to the left fender
6. Added a Getty Design front bumper/spoiler (heavier than stock)
7. Added a Getty Design 993 RS Club Sort tail, probably heavier than the "Factory" 993 RS Club Sport tail.
8. Stock mufflers, reworked a wee bit, mostly cosmetic, from FD Motorsports
9. US glass, no thin glass
10. Cruise control

I have also lowered the car to approximately 993 RS ride heights with a 1 degree down angle (rake). Of course this necessitated having long, hinged at the center, trailer ramps fabricated by Jim Copp to get the car into the trailer without dragging the front spoiler etc. "Baby" now has 993 RS front wheel carriers and tie rods. I'll post some pics next week when she comes home from the shop. She goes to the track in a few weeks....I can hardly wait.

I need to thank Steve Weiner, Cup Car, Bill Verburg, Joel Reiser, Lex Carson at MCS Suspension, Brent Smith, Guy Ober and Britton Bender (The "wrench" that does most of the work on my car, at SGS Motorsports in San Luis Obispo, CA), for the inspiration to transform the car. I need to mention that it all started with the late Pete Wetzel at ANDIAL. He is the guy that originally gave me my first push over the slippery slope....Brent Smith and Guy Ober have taken Pete's place as my Porsche muse, encouraging me to improve the car...Brent also prods me to become a better driver. And finally, I need to thank Ira Ranin at Tarrett Engineering. He has always been there for me with suspension parts, shipping them out the same day as ordered, worst case the next day. Ira is my source for ERP suspension parts...and Tarrett Engineering drop links.

Projects coming up, G50/32 gears
Repack my LSD with new disks from Guard
Remove sun roof

Last edited by Martin S.; 04-26-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Correstion
Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love love!!! That's right where I'm at right now, except I kept the speakers, and no cage at the moment. Definitely keep us updated on your /32 rebuild, I have the same thing planned as well. I'm just looking for a dang mainshaft.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:40 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see some pictures of this beast you call "baby".
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

You have a way to go yet
mines at 2700 w/ a full tank of gas
Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Martin, based on my own experience over the past 2-3 years of "adding lightness" to the car I'd strongly sugest the following:

1. Weigh everything you remove from the car. Weigh everything going into the car. Get a good spreadsheet of the weight reductions.
2. Make sure you weigh the car on the same scales. They are notoriously flay and inaccurate (much depends on setup, ground flatness, etc).

My autocross appliance is much lighter to begin with and parts are not as heavy but, for example, AC was at whooping 34.5 lbs. I think it'll be 40-50 lbs on a 993. Cruise weighs next to nothing, maybe 2 lbs total. Radio and speakers chipped in to about 4-5 lbs. If you can remove wiring you'd be surprise how heavy it can be. Aluminum body shocks also remove a lot of weight. Smaller brakes for autcross car, but that's not in the books for your track car. Etc, etc, etc. Good progress so far. But it does look like you need to drop another 100+ lbs based on what Bill said above.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Weigh everything...

I have two friends (Now that is something in itself!) that have taken their 993 cars to minimum weights. They are both very, very detail orientated, one an architect and the other a physician. They have shown me their spreadsheets on 993 parts removal...so I have a good idea of the respective weights of the parts.

My weight removal criteria is based on my race class, Porsche Owners Club GT5, a weight to HP class, with a weight to HP continuum going from 13.51 Lbs/HP to 16.00 Lbs/HP. Running Hoosier R6 tires, with my present dyno'd HP, my car can have an on track weight of 3,067. I am getting pretty close to this ideal weight...so not much more can be done on weight removal. If I slip below 13.51, and want to stay on R6 tires, I'd have to go to GT4, which goes down to 11.01....not a good place for me to be.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is moving toward supermodel waffer thin.

You though about getting plastic/fg/carbon/aluminum surgery on the front and rear end?

A nice aluminum hood and carbon tail would do nicely.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Can'r lose much more car weight.

I have a fiberglass front bumper cover and tail....Note, I run in a weight to HP class, GT5...I am close to the ideal weight. If I add HP, or lose too much weight, I get kicked into the next higher class (GT4) where I would be a serious bottom dweller. I'll drive a heavier car with air conditioning and cruise control, power windows too..and stay at the top of the lower class.

Originally Posted by axl911
That is moving toward supermodel waffer thin.

You though about getting plastic/fg/carbon/aluminum surgery on the front and rear end?

A nice aluminum hood and carbon tail would do nicely.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:55 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

These is almost no weight saving going from power windows to manual (but the cost is crazy) The power window system is amazingly light.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once read that Porsche claimed that power windows are lighter than manual windows... having said that it may not hold true for windows that don't roll up!

FYI, saving weight on my 74 Carrera showed that the Fuchs alloy wheels were some of the lightest around, bare they counted about 11 lbs. each!

Good Luck,

Bert
Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Weel Weight

I went to O-Z Allegrira wheels, lighter than MY 2002 996 wheels and Turbo hollow spokes....but BBS 3 piece would be the way to go....fortunately I can't lose any more car weight and stay in class...body weight, yes. Looking to trim off 40 Lbs. over time. This should facilitate a longer life and more racing....
Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
You have a way to go yet
mines at 2700 w/ a full tank of gas
Hey Bill,

What all have you done? That's very impressive.

IIRC, my weight with full tank of gas is around 2850 lbs and there's not that much to do unless start replacing steel with c/f or fiberglass.

I do have a/c & electric windows and a full cage (130 lbs or so) though.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Hey Bill,

What all have you done? That's very impressive.

IIRC, my weight with full tank of gas is around 2850 lbs and there's not that much to do unless start replacing steel with c/f or fiberglass.

I do have a/c & electric windows and a full cage (130 lbs or so) though.
Removed or swapped out
sunroof roof
interior from the glass up
all 4 seats
carpets
underlayment
both airbags & bracketry & covers
radio & all speakers & wiring
rear shelf and brackets
lower dash and bracketry
spare tire & tools
AC and lines
engine compartment heat blower and ducts
interior door panels
cat
bumper heat shields
trunk carpet and covers
foglights
stock washer bottle
unused wire

Added or Swapped in
non sunroof roof
RS brakes and heat shields
separated cat by pass
weld in roll bar
Schroth 6 pt harness
Rennline lower dash
Rennline pedal backing
Rennline trackmats
Recaro SPGXL seats & Al brackets
RS fan drive
RS heat tube
Forgeline 8,5 & 10 x18 wheels
NT01 tires 235/40 & 275/35
RS carpet in rear section below the glass lines
RS door panels
Racekeeper data acquisition and cameras
c/f RS/CS rear lid and spoiler
RS/CS f/g front spoilers
f/g ducts for fogs
RS sways
Bilstein Cup shocks w/ 900mm springs
Mode front & Rennline rear shock mounts
Wings gas pedal
drilled bumpers
tow hooks f/r
fire extinguisher
weight w/ full tank from corner balance scales
Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another data point + small discussion from a post 2.5 years ago when I was messing with the yellow car: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=21505
Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 AM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great thread, interesting to say the least. subscribed for knowlegde

Quick Reply: 993 "Diet" and resultant Weight (CORRECTION)