Sponsored by:

Group Project?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Group Project?

Now that I have your attention, after last weekend and meeting everyone at Hershey and/or Casa De Cactus (including a couple of interesting guys neither 993 owners nor on Rennlist) what on earth do I have in mind?

How about a spare, decently prepped 993 that could be rented out for a reasonable price for those of you finding your way out to Northern California for low-level track use.

Obviously I need another car to start with. But I'm thinking about having a twist involved here, and one that might keep my cash commitment low--how about using a tiptronic? Again, if this is just going to be a low-end track car for Sears/Thunderhill/Laguna, the last, oh, ten seconds of time out there isn't an issue. As long as the car has an upgraded suspension with decent tires all, that's going to give a beginner/low intermediate a feel for what's what.

(I'll say up front that if you're a racer/top run group kinda guy I probably wouldn't even put you in the car. There are plenty of other options out there when you're on the pointy end of things.)

So, if you've got a tip coupe that's a semi beater that you don't have a desire to squeeze every penny out of, bring it on..............
Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm,
If I were going to build a car for rental purposes and put novice to just slightly trained drivers in it I would probably use a lower cost (both repair and initial investment) vehicle.
Turbo Miata, Fox Body Mustang, LS1 Camaro, 199x-2004ish Corvette... something like that. You could probably buy any of the above race prepped for less than the cost of an engine rebuild on a 993. Just my 10 cents
Old 04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole point is to use a 993.

I'm catering to the audience here. I can rent/loan my Spec Miata (hell, the Radical) any time.

Seriously doubt any of the guys from last weekend, if they came out here and wanted to drive a couple of the bucket list tracks, are interested in a Mustang. If so, grab something from any of the other race car rental programs or the Hertz Adrenaline Collection/equivalent.

And since I wasn't terribly clear on why this was titled "Group Project" some part of the idea is that when I source a car, anyone who wanted credit against time in the car could send parts to help the build. But as I have pretty much everything laying around, that's not terribly important.

Quick Reply: Group Project?