Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 vs F355

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 03:04 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in the "looking to change from 993 to 360" group a few years ago. After about 3 years of research and time on FerrariChat...I finally shut the idea down. It's not so much the cost to buy it or the insurance...but the maintenance costs and logistics, and the constant fear of "uh oh...what was that noise...is this gonna cost me $5000?". There is not a Ferrari dealer or good independent within 150 miles of me...and that shop downtown that "works on Ferrari's all the time"...is a bad experience waiting to happen. So if I hear a "noise" or have something else that "needs to be checked out"...it's a 150 mile trip one way...which means a day(s) off work, hotel stay(s)....assuming of course it doesn't have to be towed. So this is the REAL issue for me...because on a Ferrari...you REALLY don't want to "just let it go" and see if it gets better...or it could end up costing $25K. I LOVE the looks, sound, and everything else about the 360....but it just won't work for me.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
In my opinion, thats why it makes sense to buy a higher mile (higher mile being like 30k miles) car. You let the prior owner take the hit, the car probably runs better form use, and its typically mechanically sound.
+1
Old 04-26-2013, 04:13 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I love how these threads come up about once every six months.

I own a 993S and a 360 Modena F1. I've been a PCA member for 34 years, and an FCA member for 25 years, and have owned multiple examples of both marques. Without correcting all the misinformation and internet-generated exagerations that is usually rampant in these threads, I will tell you that I've put more trouble-free miles on my 360 (currently 47,xxx) than on my 993 (43,xxx). And there is a reason my 360 has more miles.......it's WAY more fun to drive IMHO.
Yes, the Ferrari is more expensive than the 993 to maintain (exotics cost more to buy and operate.....duh) but not like everyone thinks. I haven't spent thousands of $ per year to keep it in shape. It hasn't eaten clutches or brakes, I change timing belts every 5-6 years with no issues (about $1800 in parts + labor), the F1 system has been completely trouble-free an reliable. The 360 sits right beside the 993 in the garage and I invite anyone to come and compare build quality, fit, and finish on the two. I think you'd be surprised. I could go on and on.

In past posts I've described real-world costs and my experiences with Ferrari ownership, so I won't rehash it again now. But guys.....stop believing all the internet BS probably from people who have never even owned a later model Ferrari. That includes the "exceptions to the rule" examples. Porsches have those problematic "exceptions to the rule" examples too.

They're both wonderful cars and I feel very blessed to own both.
Cheers.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Nautilus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David993S
I own a 993S and a 360 Modena F1.
Good stuff; please do post pictures of both cars together
Old 04-26-2013, 04:56 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a 993S and a 360 Modena F1. I've been a PCA member for 34 years, and an FCA member for 25 years, and have owned multiple examples of both marques. Without correcting all the misinformation and internet-generated exagerations that is usually rampant in these threads, I will tell you that I've put more trouble-free miles on my 360 (currently 47,xxx) than on my 993 (43,xxx). And there is a reason my 360 has more miles.......it's WAY more fun to drive IMHO.
Yes, the Ferrari is more expensive than the 993 to maintain (exotics cost more to buy and operate.....duh) but not like everyone thinks. I haven't spent thousands of $ per year to keep it in shape. It hasn't eaten clutches or brakes, I change timing belts every 5-6 years with no issues (about $1800 in parts + labor), the F1 system has been completely trouble-free an reliable. The 360 sits right beside the 993 in the garage and I invite anyone to come and compare build quality, fit, and finish on the two. I think you'd be surprised. I could go on and on.

In past posts I've described real-world costs and my experiences with Ferrari ownership, so I won't rehash it again now. But guys.....stop believing all the internet BS probably from people who have never even owned a later model Ferrari. That includes the "exceptions to the rule" examples. Porsches have those problematic "exceptions to the rule" examples too.

Cheers.
It's funny, on a domestic car forum that I'm on, one member is considering buying a 996 Turbo, and everyone is telling him that maintenance and repairs will be a nightmare.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by XR4Tim
It's funny, on a domestic car forum that I'm on, one member is considering buying a 996 Turbo, and everyone is telling him that maintenance and repairs will be a nightmare.
996 Turbo is a true performance bargain. But it's also the ugliest way to go super fast
Old 04-26-2013, 05:38 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

"... The 360 sits right beside the 993 in the garage and I invite anyone to come and compare build quality, fit, and finish on the two. I think you'd be surprised..
I cannot directly argue your point, never having owned a Ferrari 360 (although a 458 wants me badly), but all, and I mean all my friends with pre-2005 Ferrari have spent a lot more that I have on the 993. I did own ( or did it own me?) a 355, and I sold it in frenzied despair. it was worse than coke on both my psyche and wallet.

I also remember a post by Robin who owned a 993 and 360 as well, and wrenches on both, and his opinion on build quality. Again, I also think both brands are amazing, but I have a hard time believing that on an average they have similar maintenance costs
Old 04-26-2013, 05:43 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cheers.
+1
So far I have spent more on the 993 then the 355. You may notice I have one car for sale and its not the 355
Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
serval
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ht=Ferrari+360

Read post #41

Hope Robin does not mind me quoting him...
Old 04-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

To David993S and cavlino...how far do you guys have to go for your Ferrari service needs?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:16 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
To David993S and cavlino...how far do you guys have to go for your Ferrari service needs?
About 25 miles (Hudson to Cleveland). There is a top notch independent shop on the west side of Cleveland, North Coast Exotics. In Columbus there are two outstanding indy shops, NJB Automotive and Studio47.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Last edited by Allen; 04-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by serval
I also remember a post by Robin who owned a 993 and 360 as well, and wrenches on both, and his opinion on build quality.
I called and spoke to Robin during my hunt. He had some very useful insight on 360 ownership...big surprise huh...

I certainly don't think that anyone would argue...at least I don't think...that the typical ownership/maintenance costs of a 993 compared to a 360 are the same...or probably even close. If the exact same maintenance was done on both cars...just the 360 parts price alone would the costs 3 or 4 times as much. It HAS to...as Ferrari builds parts to supply XX,XXX cars and Porsche builds parts to supply X,XXX,XXX cars...so the price has to be higher...it's just math.

Additionally...I don't think anyone would argue...at least I don't think...that the experience of driving a 993 compared to a 360 is the same...or probably even close.

Honestly....if I had access to a good Ferrari mechanic closer than 150 miles (Atlanta)...I probably would have a 360 in my garage. Don't EVEN get me started on how much I want one. As I stated earlier...the logistics of getting a car to/from Atlanta any time something needed to be checked out would be too much. I don't fault the 360 for it's high operating cost...it's simply part of the cost to own one...and it does NOT stop me from wanting one...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
The closest Ferrari Dealer which is where I bought the car is 200km (~120 miles) away. There is also a very good independent shop in that same location. Any work that I would do on my 993 I also do on my Ferrari ie Oil Changes, Brake Fluid flush/changes and even Exhaust replacement including Headers. I have not had to use the Dealer or the Independent shop since the fall of 2009! Don't put off the experience just because once every few years you may have to go 150 miles for some service that you or some reputable service shop close to you cant perform. Establish a relationship with the shop that is 150 miles away buy your parts from them as a way of maintaining that relationship but only service it there if its absolutely necessary.

Quick Reply: 993 vs F355