solid sides and monoball tops - noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:36 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennline
Hey Guys,

I have been dealing with a couple of you on this issue and just came across this thread so figured I would provide an update. Since the introduction of our Rennline Strut Mounts, we have received a lot of requests for a custom spring hat from customers using both RS Strut Mounts and our Strut Mounts with their Bilstein Pss9 and PSS10 suspensions. When we developed these spring hats, we basically took the RS spring hat and re sized it to work with the PSS9 and PSS10's. We pulled the measurements off the RS spring hat, combined them with measurements supplied from Bilstein, and ended up with the spring hat shown in Don's images.

After being contacted by two customers, Don being one of them, we were notified that there was a clearance issue when using these with our strut mounts. Don was very helpful in providing feedback and with this help we have determined that the lower spacer stack needs to be taller in order to avoid strut mount contact when used with our strut mount. We will be contacting all purchasers of these spring hats who have also purchased our strut mounts and we will be sending them the additional bushings required for this configuration. If you have not been contacted and have purchased this setup from us or one of our distributors, please give us a call for these new bushings.

As always we greatly appreciate the feedback that we receive from customers like Don, and it is through feedback like this that we are able to evolve and develop our product line to the best that it can be

Thanks for your continued support over the years,

Tom Rittenburg
General Manager
Rennline Inc
802.893.7366 x105
Tom,

In case you have not seen it here is the thread with details on the custom spacer and shoulder nut required in the front. Note that bushings are not needed in the rear with your top hats. If you need a first customer I can be it depending on timeline.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93689
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom might chime in, but he explained to me that they have already developed the shoulder nut for use with KW shocks, and hopefully these will work with Bilsteins as well.

I'm not convinced of the need for the beveled washer used by ToSi, since that shoulder is part of the design and protrudes whether or not one is using oem or aftermarket mounts.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:25 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
+1

I been trading calls with Tom today on this. Would be great f they did it versus having to deal with a machinist you do not really know. I also asked ToSi where he sourced his.
Mine were made by a coworker on a one-off basis - add in a bunch of running around for zinc chromate + anodizing, min charges for coatings if you're not doing other stuff at the same time & it's a spendy exercise.

If there's enough interest, I can see what a local machine shop would charge to make a small batch - not likely to be less than $100 for the pair. PM me if & how soon you want a set, no promises.

All of the dimensions are listed in the other thread. The only ones critical are the ID of the monoball & the hex size - shouldn't have issues if you're within 0.5mm of the others.

Would be great if Rennline wanted to offer these for a reasonable price. Not sure they complement their current products as a set of nuts / spacers for RS mounts means one fewer set of their front mounts get sold though..

Originally Posted by dgmattingley
Tom might chime in, but he explained to me that they have already developed the shoulder nut for use with KW shocks, and hopefully these will work with Bilsteins as well.

I'm not convinced of the need for the beveled washer used by ToSi, since that shoulder is part of the design and protrudes whether or not one is using oem or aftermarket mounts.
Without the washer in front, the top hat would be free to move up/down by ~ 2mm. The only thing preventing it would be whatever spring preload remains at full droop.. What's the ID of the monoballs used by Rennline?

Last edited by ToSi; 04-30-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:40 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

[QUOTE=Would be great if Rennline wanted to offer these for a reasonable price. Not sure they complement their current products as a set of nuts / spacers for RS mounts means one fewer set of their front mounts get sold though.
Without the washer in front, the top hat would be free to move up/down by ~ 2mm. The only thing preventing it would be whatever spring preload remains at full droop.. What's the ID of the monoballs used by Rennline?[/QUOTE]
The shoulder nuts and spacers would also work with rennline mounts assuming the monoball is the same size? I'll try to take a measurement.

My point on the washer is that this same movement is there with the oem rubber mounts. If this was a problem I would think bilstein would've included xtra hardware? there's no evidence of this causing damage to the mount.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Don, you're right. I called Bilstein, described my concern about the movement & the initial response was that something wasn't right and they'd have to investigate. Got a call back confirming the 2mm clearance is intentional - allows the upper hat to rotate as necessary, avoiding binding of the spring & creating noise. With that in mind, use the hardened M14 fender washer included w/ the shocks instead of the beveled spacer.. will update the other thread. Thanks for pointing out the clearance w/ OEM mounts.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I need to get this straight. So when the assembly is tightened up, the spring perch can rotate?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I need to get this straight. So when the assembly is tightened up, the spring perch can rotate?
Might be more accurate to say that it can move a little. it's not going to be spinning freely around, I don't think.

I haven't taken a test drive yet, but I may have resolved this finally. received the shoulder nuts from rennline and they work perfectly.
So now I'm using the stock bilstein 4mm washer and 4mm spacer in the front along with a ~10.8mm rennline spacer. In the back, I'm using the exact same amount of spacing - the stock 8mm bilstein spacer and the 10.8mm rennline spacer.

With this setup, there is no contact at either end between hat and mount. Note that I found evidence of the same contact as jackal did in the front between the lower lip of the mount and the hat. With the shoulder nut and 10.8mm spacer there is now no contact. So this actually appears to be quite simple, provided one has the shoulder nuts and additional spacing of ~ 9-11mm for each end. I think I could possibly do with1-2mm less spacing, but as I have it now there is no chance of contact...I hope

Last edited by dgmattingley; 05-01-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: solid sides and monoball tops - noise