Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

H&R Coilovers info request (pros, cons, how to adjust etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 01:18 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default H&R Coilovers info request (pros, cons, how to adjust etc.)

I'm considering a 993 4S, and the PO installed H&R coilovers. Unfortunately there is no documentation on it. I did squeeze my head to see that they are there and have H&R stickers on them. The car is going for PPI next Tuesday, so I'm sure I will find out more.

A couple of questions:
How many types/models of adjustable H&R coilovers are out there that fit 993?
Could you please point to a good thread about H&R coilovers and DIY on how to adjust them?

I drove the car and was happy with the ride (very straight, firm, not excessively bumpy). The PO said the coilovers are in normal/not very aggressive setting, and I'm happy with it, but I would like to learn more about them.

Here is side view of the car, is it lowered? Normal height?
Appreciate any input on this matter.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC993
I'm considering a 993 4S, and the PO installed H&R coilovers. Unfortunately there is no documentation on it. I did squeeze my head to see that they are there and have H&R stickers on them. The car is going for PPI next Tuesday, so I'm sure I will find out more.

A couple of questions:
How many types/models of adjustable H&R coilovers are out there that fit 993?
Could you please point to a good thread about H&R coilovers and DIY on how to adjust them?

I drove the car and was happy with the ride (very straight, firm, not excessively bumpy). The PO said the coilovers are in normal/not very aggressive setting, and I'm happy with it, but I would like to learn more about them.

Here is side view of the car, is it lowered? Normal height?
Appreciate any input on this matter.

The car is lowered quite a bit, there are several possible H&R setups that could be on it, pics would be helpfull.

At that height RS wheel carriers are very desireable
Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

I recently installed the H&R kit - $1800 a significant handeling upgrade over the OE like driving a new and vastly superior car. Set the ride height somwhere between USA at the top end and ROW lowered value at the lower end will allow you to use the OE alignment specifications. The original drop links can be used so the only parts you will need other than the kit are replacement lock-nuts that hold the top mounts to the car body. The kit i purchased on ebay new was H&R kit number:29954-1
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

2 H&R coilover kits, one street (29954-1) one cup (40953-1)
Old 04-21-2013, 04:24 PM
P-track
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These are the current H&R options:

Standard monotube coilover: 29954-1 , stainless steel with black springs.
Clubsport: RSS 37-954, also available in non street approved track version.

The 40953 is a shock/ spring combo and not a coilover. It is similar to a Bilstein B6 HD setup.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by P-track
Clubsport: RSS 37-954, also available in non street approved track version.
What makes them "non street approved"?

H&R does not specify for track use only.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Eurotrio
What makes them "non street approved"?

H&R does not specify for track use only.
In Germany all aftermarket parts have to have TÜV approval

the most likely reason the Cup shocks are not approved is that they were never submitted to the approval process or if they were they were too short to pass

The Cup shocks are much stiffer than is usual for street shocks and are valved for much higher spring rates. Additionally they are shorter than the usual street shocks so that the car can be setup racecar low, to set the car up that low requires RS wheel carriers and solid rear side mounts

stock they will jar your brains out, have them rebuilt w/ digressive valves to match the springs and you will have a well controlled but still very firm ride
Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Eurotrio
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
In Germany all aftermarket parts have to have TÜV approval

the most likely reason the Cup shocks are not approved is that they were never submitted to the approval process or if they were they were too short to pass

The Cup shocks are much stiffer than is usual for street shocks and are valved for much higher spring rates. Additionally they are shorter than the usual street shocks so that the car can be setup racecar low, to set the car up that low requires RS wheel carriers and solid rear side mounts

stock they will jar your brains out, have them rebuilt w/ digressive valves to match the springs and you will have a well controlled but still very firm ride
Very interesting. I must research more and contact H&R as I was considering RSS, however above RS ride height. They do allow 1-2" lowering, therefore it should work.

Actually, H&R does show the RSS being TUV approved:

911 Carrera Typ 993 Rennen-NR-NS X RSN-37-954-1/1
Clubsport X mit/with TÜV RSS-37-954-1/1

Last edited by Eurotrio; 04-16-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

My H&R kit was installed by the PO in 2010, it's # is RSS1590AA R/shock and monoball, included with H&R adj sway's #71953. While this is a discontinued set-up, and no longer supported by them(ask me how I know), they are still floating around FS in cyberspace.

My car came out of NJ also, H& R coilovers, seem to be on lots of 993's from there.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 AM
vtwin996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the H&R PCS kit installed, 32954-1Like some of their other products, it's Bilstein dampers valved for H&R springs. These are similar to PSS10 so I get the damping adjustability. Thought about the RSS but thought it would be too much for street use. I may try car on track a couple of times. I'll post a review after I've had time with the car but I can't wait to get it.

Quick Reply: H&R Coilovers info request (pros, cons, how to adjust etc.)