Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:original CA plates voided

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe "old" low number license plates are also a very big deal in Delaware too. Ppl go through great lengths to trade / keep them.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Tom:

I see there are attorneys in California who specialize in DMV matters. You may want to consult with one and see if there is anything in the legislation that permits a court to order the reverse of a department error. Also, the attorney may know a higher up in the department who can arrange for a simple override of the computer entries.

Many attorneys like challenges like this.

I tried to Google into your state legislation, but it looks like the site is down.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Many attorneys like challenges like this.
on your dime, why wouldn't they
Old 04-14-2013, 04:32 AM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Washington they require you to buy new plates every seven years because the reflective properties start to fade. For an extra $20 fee you can keep your old number, but you have to buy new plates, which sometimes change design.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Aircooled Dave
Instructor

I've owned a lot of older cars from the 50s, 60s and 70s over the years so I can certainly relate to the idea of having 'vintage' plates that match the age of the car. Somehow a modern plate just doesn't look right on an older car. People do pay good money for older matching plate sets for restorations of older cars if they're going for the correct look. The older plates used to be all over the place at flea markets and swap meets, but have become harder to locate and much more costly over the years.

Unfortunately, CA will only re-instate 6 digit plates, which basically puts them into the late 60s or what are commonly known as yellow plates (50s), black plates (60s) and some early blue plates ('69). I'm not sure why they have this restriction as long as there is only 1 set of numbers being used, but that's the rule. There is a petition to bring back the re-issuance of older plates, but it will still be restricted to the earlier plates so you're still out of luck. You can try calling, standing in line or even hiring a lawyer, but I am 99.99999% sure nothing would come of it. This rule has been in place for decades.

Quick Reply: OT:original CA plates voided