Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Starter removal....are you kidding me ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Taking it to Dan Jacobs shop tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies;.especially the pics w/arrows...very helpful. Even if I ordered a starter today, from any of the typical sources ie: FD/Pelican/Sunset I wouldn't have any sooner than 3 days (not about to overnight a 12 lb item). Cutting it too close. Always count on a stripped hex nut, starter oxidized to the bell housing...you get the idea. A good friend of mine graciously offered the use of his lift & if I had the time I'd take him up on it. I love a good challenge, but jeez what a PITA, reminds me of my Fiat days.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 AM
mstolo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, this thread convinced me, definitely want to replace an old starter when you have the motor out as a pay now, or pay 3x later.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mstolo
Well, this thread convinced me, definitely want to replace an old starter when you have the motor out as a pay now, or pay 3x later.
I was just thinking it might be a good idea when you drop the engine to remove the nuts/bolts and hit them with a little anti-seize, I don't need to add more to the already bloated while-I'm-in-there expenses.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lopro
one does have to love the knuckle punching snap of a rusty bolt or fastener.

Being on the east coast I often play bloody knuckles with anything in the engine bay

I never win but I still like to play
Gotta respect a guy who can gouge skin of the backs of his hands and repeatedly bloody his knuckles, never win but still like to play. Some might even "question" this kind of behavior.

Quick Reply: Starter removal....are you kidding me ?