Sponsored by:

Diagnosing P0306

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
The temperature sensor is working as should. (but this does not include erratic behavior from some parts)
If it pops with warm engine, regardless of size of pop, temp sensor has no role on warm engine. So Temp sensor not the cause.
There is only one temp sensor, on cylinder three, as you know

Your spark plug no. 6 is shot from the looks of it.
As the error designates no. 6 , and the picture of the plug, I would go from there.
I mean from plug to distributor caps - rotors
The plug might be the culprit but maybe the culprit rendered the plug like this.

What bothers me is the sound chart.
Reminds me of the old ferrari carburator tuning with a hose stuck on carburator inlet, and to the tuner's ear. They used to tune all the carbs to the same pitch sound

In the sound chart, every one full second, there is about 11-13 iterations, regardless of the strength.
The crankshaft does around 13 full turns in one second.
So there is a pop for every crank revolution ?
One of the few things that is measured every rotation is the flywheel sensor (impulse sender?)

anyway, lets see what the plug change would do.
I do not know if you have this doc.
geolab - Thank you for the wonderful document. Cool! I am learning and I now know that there is one temperature sensor at cylinder 3.

I pulled the electrical connector to each cylinder injector while the engine was idling. Pulling any injector on the left bank resulted in rhythmic popping from the left exhaust. Pulling injector 4 or 5 on the right bank resulted in double popping, but irregular. Pulling 6 was just plain irregular. Maybe I am influencing the result because the CEL code tells me it is 6.

If all injectors were working equally well, I would expect the delta to be similar, but it was not.

If I can get the injectors pulled this evening, I am going to have them couriered out to a shop to have them cleaned and hopefully get them reinstalled tomorrow evening.

Originally Posted by bruce7
When I changed spark plugs in my car someone had also installed these same
plugs. If staying with Beru, the correct plug is the 14FR-6 DTU with 3 prongs. I think this
must be a common mistake from other posts I've seen.

-bruce
I've seen several places (rennlist, pcar, pcar workshop?) that say the 3.6 should get the triple electrode plug. My owner's manual states that the following plugs are acceptable:

Bosch FR 6 LDC
Bosch FR 5 DTC - 3 electrode
Beru 14 FR 5 DTU
Beru 14 FR 6 LDU - 2 electrode

I saw this in the owner's manual after that post. I did order a complete set of the Bosch 3 prong plugs to install at some point. The current plugs are only 9K miles old. The plugs in 6 are likely shot, but I don't want to install a new set until the injectors are cleaned out.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default Burning gas is a dirty job

Got the fuel injectors out. Relatively straight forward. Taking out the aux fan and airbox were firsts for me.
Took me about an hour and a half as I was proceeding slowly.
Here are the injectors. Some are somewhat 'cleaner' than others.
On the right bank, you can clearly see that 6 is grungier than 5 and 4.

Name:  fuel injector cylinder 1 (DSCN6182).crop.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  642.2 KB

Name:  fuel injector cylinder 2 (DSCN6183).crop.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  535.9 KB

Name:  fuel injector cylinder 3 (DSCN6184).crop.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  554.4 KB

Name:  fuel injector cylinder 4 (DSCN6185).crop.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  722.3 KB

Name:  fuel injector cylinder 5 (DSCN6186).crop.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  531.3 KB

Name:  fuel injector cylinder 6 (DSCN6187).crop.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  587.1 KB
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

from the pictures:
please assure us you have the lost plastic bit of the injector #3 ?
your injectors show a concentration of gunk
Normally this is due to concentration of oil vapor and/or high concentration of alcohol/hydroxyl in gas. do you use regular gas ? if so, should be the ethanol
Keep your oil level at mid-range on the oil level manual gauge, and try to change gas station or fuel brand.

Last edited by geolab; 03-28-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default It's not the injectors

Originally Posted by geolab
from the pictures:
please assure us you have the lost plastic bit of the injector #3 ?
I looked again. Can't find it. I think if you look closely, there are deposits along the crack line. Looks to me like it may have run through the engine?

I will seek out non-oxygenated premium moving forward.

Engine oil is at mid range. Engine burned maybe a half quart in 6K miles last year.

An update on the injectors. It is NOT the injectors. They were all spraying good prior to cleaning. All that crud was not hindering their performance.

Moving forward with removing plug #6 topside as long as I can get the spark plug socket out of #5. Struggling with this.

Link to the report: Ravenworks Fuel Injector Report.pdf
Old 03-28-2013, 06:40 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default Plug I-6 is really old

Found this in I-6. So I'm pretty sure by the looks of things that this plug was not changed at 68K or 60K as the service records show. 77K on the car now.
The electrode is supposed to be round, not triangular.

I'd say this is a contributing factor if not the culprit.

Name:  Spark Plug I-6 (DSCN6190).cropped.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  267.1 KB
Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

amazing isn't it? Changing all 12 plugs on these cars isn't that bad really. I had the worst time getting the engine metal off the pass side for access to the top side three...the other 9 took about 30 minutes to do. Since all the hardware has been anti-seezed upon reinstallation...I bet I could do all 12 in just about two hours again...

provided the tranny vent hose doesn't come off again, that is.

Hopefully, your "culprit" has been found, good luck!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default magnification

Originally Posted by nine9six
FWIW, when you looked at the ceramic on the plugs, did you use any magnification? I seen cracked ceramics that I could not detect with the naked eye. Now I look at them through a jewelers loop.
This is a good idea. I pulled all the plugs last week and looked at II-6 with magnification. The ceramic insulator was not cracked.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
... I had the worst time getting the engine metal off the pass side for access to the top side three...
The thread by JB911 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ing-apart.html) inspired me to get the plugs changed without taking off the mufflers or engine tin.
I'm pretty sure that the muffler bolts are not coming apart without snapping, and I just really didn't want to deal with that.

Here is what worked for me to get the plug under the power steering pump.

Total extension length including plug socket is 6 1/8" long.
5/8" magnetic socket
1/2" drive to 3/8" drive conversion
3/8" universal joint
1" long extension

The stubby has a 3" handle on it.

I found that the tape sometimes caused binding when screwing the plug in or out. Anyone have a solution for that?

Name:  DSCN6223.resize.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  308.6 KB
Old 04-03-2013, 12:55 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BesideTheBox
I decided yesterday to start the car and just let it warm up for 5 minutes. The ambient temperature here in MN in my garage was about 37F (3C).

I recorded the engine audio with my phone and loaded it into a program called 'Audacity', that graphs the audio signal over time.

The first image is a high level view of the first 60 seconds.
Engine start at 3 seconds. Driver door closing at 21 seconds.
You can see the engine starts 'popping' at 34 seconds into the clip and continues until 55 seconds.
The pops are reflected as the blue spikes away from the central lines of the right (higher) and left (lower) channels.
After that the idle settles down.

Attachment 715091
I uploaded a video to youtube that reflects the audio signature from the post above. The video is just a picture and an mp3 audio clip combined together. Just enough to meet youtube's 'video' requirement. Please listen and let me know if you have any thoughts about the popping (backfiring?).

Here is what I have addressed so far:
  • cleaned injectors (turns out they didn't need it)
  • replaced spark plugs with Bosch FR5 DTC (plug in I-6 was ancient, I-5 and I-4 were 30K miles old, the other 9 were likely changed at 68K as documented)
  • rechecked plug and coil wire resistance (~3K ohm and ~1K ohm)
  • verified no plug wire arcing in a pitch dark environment
  • checked distributor rotor resistance (1K ohm)
  • checked distributor caps - good
  • checked battery voltage (14.12 volts)
  • measured CHT at ambient and intermittently as engine warmed up

Yet to be addressed:
  • Install new Porsche belts (shims should be here Thursday)
  • Clean and inspect Idle Speed Adjuster
  • Clean and inspect Mass Air Flow sensor
  • Find the cause for the P0306 - hopefully it's one of these three things
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default Ideas for next things to inspect?

Cleaned ISV and MAF yesterday. Went for a drive without letting the car idle for 10 minutes before driving it and the CEL came on 1/2 mile away from the house as the engine was warming up.

Symptoms are less power, CEL comes on. If I push on the gas, it hesitates more and the CEL starts flashing. Let up on the gas and the CEL stops flashing after a few seconds.

I pulled over and let the engine idle to finish warming up for a couple of minutes. Then the engine smoothed out a bit and I was off. Engine felt strong after that. Had the CEL checked and again it was P0306.

Put 3 new OEM belts on today. Started up the car afterward and let it idle until fully warm. After a minute or so, the idle gets rough and the entire car shakes. After a couple more minutes, the shaking subsides almost entirely.

Since the CEL always points to cylinder 6, someone suggested that I might want to do a compression test on all cylinders to see if I have a leaky valve. If I did have a leaky valve, could this cause the P0306 that occurs if I drive the car while it is warming up?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure there are more things that can be checked. Whatever the issue, engine warmup is a primary contributing factor.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 AM
BesideTheBox
Rennlist Member

Default Resolved

The engine warm up issue that was causing my P0306 CEL has been resolved. The issue appears to have been remedied by cleaning several grounding points.

I cleaned grounding points I, II, IV, V, X, XIV, and XXI. Click here to read about it. I also cleaned the power takeoff (was told that this goes to the DME) that is attached to the positive battery terminal, and also the battery ground strap where it attaches to the body.

Since the grounding points were cleaned at 77295 miles, I have had no hesitation, bucking, or check engine lights during engine warmup, or otherwise. Current mileage is 77680.

I still have light misfires at idle. A separate thread was started to track this issue and can be found here.

Thank you all for your help!
The following users liked this post:
Trout164 (01-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Diagnosing P0306