Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Vibration-Help Please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:24 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Went with the replacement lower control arms from FDM. Includes new bushings and the arms look like new. Replace and send yours back to Darin at FDM. $300 well worth not hassling with the bushings. Also replace the tie rods while in there. Replace the complete tie rod including the threaded joint connected to the steering rack. Mine looked good until I took them off and they were dangerously loose.

This should take care of the shaking. My car has 78K miles and this solved it.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Cchief24
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input.....now if someone can find me a wind deflector, I will be very happy.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 439 Posts

While the control arm bushings are a likely source of the problem, I'd look a little closer at the wheel balance. A good four wheel "road force" balance with tight specs could potentially solve the problem.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boomboom
Also replace the tie rods while in there. Replace the complete tie rod including the threaded joint connected to the steering rack. Mine looked good until I took them off and they were dangerously loose.

This should take care of the shaking. My car has 78K miles and this solved it.
I just ordered bushing only set from FDM. Will have local machine shop do the press.

I'm curious you mentioned tie rods. Where did u source them? $? And how involved is the removal / replacement? That's the first I've read of while ur in there w the bushings.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:29 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Got the Tie Rods from Vertex Auto. Trying to remember they were around $150 ea. Huge difference on how the car rides and steers now. Not too hard to do. Count the number of turns when unthreading from the rack. Also you will need to do an alignment unless you are really good with a string alignment. Realize this is an extra ~$300 but well worth it. Mine looked and felt good, but once I undid the wheel side of the tie rod the coupling at the rack was pretty worn.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration-Help Please?