Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 3 spoke wheel install, air bag light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:20 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm similarly positioned having serviced the horn bracket recently on a stock steering wheel. Stupid is, as stupid does, and in the process did something which tripped an air bag red light error. The local auto store loaner scan tool cannot see the air bag circuit – and while I own the VCDS / VAG COM scan software for our VW’s, I’m not keenly aware of its Porsche feature. The VCDS is a powerful software tool that no VW owner should leave home without..

The local Porsche dealer want's an 1 hour minimum fee to address the air bag fault - Fu.k that on the basis of principle.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

VCDS has a standalone OBDII feature which I've used on the Porsche. It's on the main screen once you star the app.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ilko - a big ole danke schon. I'll have a look as we speak.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Lower left corner...

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/obd-2.html
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I am currently updating the software to my scan tool...

Will try again after the software upgrade.

Unless my OBD scan tool recognizes air bag faults, I see no logic in swapping out the air bags at this juncture. If my tool could see the fault and I tried clearing with no effect on the dash light, then I could see the benefit by swapping the bags as mentioned above.

Thank you to the respondants for your guidance and help; will keep all advised...

P.S. I hate being the dumbass that creates issues such as this, by not researching prior to performing. All the posts made it seem very simple and straight forward; which it is, cept for my failure to review procedure prior to start of work.

Again, my appreciation along with my aploogies...

I will be checking back from time to time, so if anyone can offer anything additional, that would be great!
I always figure the bigger I screw up the more valuable the lesson (to me). I think when you look back on this it will be a relatively minor error.

Best of luck.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ilko -
Thanks for the VCDS chapter and verse. The VCDS's Generic OBD2 Mode didn't talk to my MY98 993.
I tried the work around targeting various controllers and still no handshake with the VCDS. As a VCDS user of some 7 years I like to think of myself as capable with the software, however maybe its me.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I always figure the bigger I screw up the more valuable the lesson (to me). I think when you look back on this it will be a relatively minor error.

Best of luck.
Bill,
I would have to whole heartedly agree! :-)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 AM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
I forgot to mention, any rennlisters local to Socal (LA or OC) that have an OBD II that reads and resets air bag faults, for possible quick scan and reset this weekend, at your convenience, would be most welcome :-)

Cheers,
Paul
Yes. I have one. It's the PST-2 on a laptop. Works like from the factory. I'm in North Tustin if you want to stop by and we can try to reset it.

PM me if you want to schedule a visit.

Marc G.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:47 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nine9six, good luck. I tripped an air bag light by not ensuring the connecter was secure and it popped out during installation (unbeknownst to me....found it later) and as soon as I turned the key, bingo.

Tired several readers, including at my Indy's shop. Finally had to pay the dealer $110 for the reset. Hope you have better luck.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

According to the Durametric Feature Matrix the Durametric tool will read and reset the airbag fault on the 993. Only problem with the Durametric is those of us with this tool in the "Enthusiast" version only get 3 VIN's we can use the tool on so someone may not be willing to give up 1/3 of their tool for you. If you can find someone with the "Professional" version it has unlimited VIN access. Again, best of luck.

From Durametric's site:
Can it really turn off my airbag light?
YES! Not only can the system turn off the airbag light but it can tell you why it is on in the first place.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 AM
DanL993
button queen

All I can say is that my Indy had a Durametric, and it even recognized the light fault.....but couldn't reset it!!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I hear a lot of good, but still a fair amount of limitations with the Durametric tool. I had a friend who had an OBD-1 but had the newer OBDII style connector (late model '95) and it couldn't read the DME. That's why I went with the PST-2. Reads everything.

Come visit and will scan your car and see what we find. I know I can reset it with this tool.

Marc G.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM
DanL993
button queen

I hope you can do it....I hated paying that $110. I will say though that the techs there were jazzed to see a 993....they love that car and don't see them in there often. At $110 a throw I'm not surprised.

If it works he owes you a nice expensive bottle of single malt scotch!!
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Dan, I'm wondering what vers. of the Durametric your indy used, if it was v5 or v6? Don't really feel like tripping a airbag light to test my Durametric but my local indy has the PST-2 should I ever need one.

Did just finish using the Durametric on the Cayenne to shut off the seat belt, door open and lights on chimes, those things were really annoying. It's worth it just for that.

Need to look into the PST-2 on a laptop, sounds interesting.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:25 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
ilko -
Thanks for the VCDS chapter and verse. The VCDS's Generic OBD2 Mode didn't talk to my MY98 993.
I tried the work around targeting various controllers and still no handshake with the VCDS. As a VCDS user of some 7 years I like to think of myself as capable with the software, however maybe its me.
I have the Durametric and the vagcom. I use the vagcom for most OBDII on the Porsche. It works much better than the Durametric. It will not connect to the airbag controller on the Porsche though. I have to use the Durametric and enter the 996 model to communicate with the airbag controller on the 993.

nine9six, are you close to Arredondo Motorsports in Torrance? Art turns off the occasional SRS(?) light in my MIL's Boxster for no charge.

Quick Reply: 993 3 spoke wheel install, air bag light?