Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts
Default ?? For Garth S ??

Do you still have the spare rear setup seen Here in post #1

If you do would it be at all possible to measure the change in where the hub is when adjusting the KT arm through it's full range of adjustment.

I know that as the KT arm is lengthened the hub moves forward and down but by how much?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill,
Reasonably certain that the parts are here - but not in one assembly ( that was a '08 post). I'll hunt the parts up this weekend & jig up something to lock the toe link down ..... will look at relative movement of the axle center as KE ranges min/max.
Garth
Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
Bill,
Reasonably certain that the parts are here - but not in one assembly ( that was a '08 post). I'll hunt the parts up this weekend & jig up something to lock the toe link down ..... will look at relative movement of the axle center as KE ranges min/max.
Garth
Thanks, I'm trying to build a solid works model of the rear suspension
Old 02-28-2013, 04:29 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Assembled the left rear and attached a scribe to a hub stud & locked the hub against rotation: a very ad hoc arrangement, I confess, as there was no apparent way to tie in the lower end of the hub without a crossmember in place to secure the lower toe link.

From the minimum length position of the KE link ( eccentric turned all in), the scribe advanced forward ~7.5mm at max KE extension. The scribe traced a very shallow upwards arc to gain slightly more than 1mm height at the max extension position. ie., axle center moves forward as the link lengthens ...

I recall that extending the KE link raised the chassis = dropping the hub center. It is likely that I do not have adequate 'lock down' with this assembly on the floor to duplicate installed chassis performance, so the vertical change noted is not reliable.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
Assembled the left rear and attached a scribe to a hub stud & locked the hub against rotation: a very ad hoc arrangement, I confess, as there was no apparent way to tie in the lower end of the hub without a crossmember in place to secure the lower toe link.

From the minimum length position of the KE link ( eccentric turned all in), the scribe advanced forward ~7.5mm at max KE extension. The scribe traced a very shallow upwards arc to gain slightly more than 1mm height at the max extension position. ie., axle center moves forward as the link lengthens ...

I recall that extending the KE link raised the chassis = dropping the hub center. It is likely that I do not have adequate 'lock down' with this assembly on the floor to duplicate installed chassis performance, so the vertical change noted is not reliable.
Great! thanks! That gibes w/ comments i'v seen about the hub moving well forward in the wheel when when the car is set up wrong because the large rear caster angle causes a lot bump steer which further exacerbates understeer. You need just enough to keep the car stable under heavy braking and no more

Quick Reply: ?? For Garth S ??