Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Starter whirring

Old 02-23-2013, 05:33 PM
ttw18
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter whirring

Starting the car has been progressively more difficult. Sometimes would take 2-3 cranks. Now the starter will make a"whirring" sound on occasion, will crank and eventually start. Pushing the accelerator will usually help the car get started. The car is due for a tune up and will be completing it shortly. I am just worried about the whirring, sound like starter solenoid issue or broken teeth from starter gear. The starter and RS flywheel are about 25k old.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmmm. My guess: If it were broken teeth, I don't think it would ever crank. The solenoid is supposed to throw the starter gear forward to engage the flywheel. This may be weak on your car, and sometimes it may throw the gear far enough, and sometimes not. I vote for faulty solenoid or some defective starter linkage in that area. This does not explain any sort of connection to "Pushing the accelerator will usually help...", but perhaps that is an unrelated "tune-up" issue. IMHO.

<edit> I suppose there could be some broken teeth on the starter, but I think the symptoms would be different... a very odd, rhythmic pattern to the starter noise. Ugh. In any event, I would pull the starter motor, examine it, and bench test it with a 12v source.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter whirring