Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is there a trick for reading the oil level on the dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Drisump
Even though I know what you mean (illustration of a point) I wouldn't make a general practice of leaving your lube system down three quarts. There is no question that it wouldn't have any effect on oil pressure but even though these engines are called "air" cooled, much of the cooling is provided by the volume of oil coursing through the lube system...more oil=more cooling. Cheers
right, of course not. But if the difference between showing on the stick and being halfway is about .75 a quart, if the stick shows anything, you're perfectly fine.

Originally Posted by Allen
That's a pretty ridiculous statement. If you are not sure of your car's oil level...you should keep "fussing" until you figure out how to become sure.
Guess what, I'm never sure what my oil level is.

I pour in 10qts when I change the oil, every time. When my gauge stops coming up at idle, I add about 1/4 of a quart.

My point with all this was that being fussy over minute differences on the dipstick is absolutely pointless given how much extra oil is in the system and its dry sump nature.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Someone mentioned a napkin trick. Sounds like it might be what I do. I use a paper towel in one hand and spin the dipstick on it. Th oil mark left on towel will show the level.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:19 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Laying the stick onto a shop towel works. Be careful of lint.

I always have boxes of the blue John Deere shop rags around - they seem to be the best.

The oil will dampen the rag and make ID easy.
A true shop towel, such as sold at Costco, should be lint free.

Wipe dipstick clean and dry, reinsert and lay on a shop towel for oil level.

Last edited by nine9six; 02-21-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
all this fuss over the oil.

My opinion, if you must use the dipstick, if you see any oil at all, you're fine. When you no longer do, add between 1/4 and 1/2 a quart.

Even like 3 quarts short, oil pressure is solid.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
right, of course not. But if the difference between showing on the stick and being halfway is about .75 a quart, if the stick shows anything, you're perfectly fine.

Guess what, I'm never sure what my oil level is.

I pour in 10qts when I change the oil, every time. When my gauge stops coming up at idle, I add about 1/4 of a quart.

My point with all this was that being fussy over minute differences on the dipstick is absolutely pointless given how much extra oil is in the system and its dry sump nature.
Yes, personally I try to hit the mid point between HI and LOW during a change and don't add any until a full quart can fit (and still be close to mid range). I have an 85 as well as a 993, and both seem to use considerably more oil when you try to keep the level in the higher ranges of the dipstick. I'm not sure why these engines operate that way but anecdotally many guys have experienced the same. I reason that the more oil the 993 burns, the more likely that the infamous CEL problem will occur Cheers.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:54 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, personally I try to hit the mid point between HI and LOW during a change and don't add any until a full quart can fit (and still be close to mid range). I have an 85 as well as a 993, and both seem to use considerably more oil when you try to keep the level in the higher ranges of the dipstick. I'm not sure why these engines operate that way but anecdotally many guys have experienced the same. I reason that the more oil the 993 burns, the more likely that the infamous CEL problem will occur Cheers.
You do realize that a Check Engine Light (CEL) can be for any number of reasons, yes?

I think you might be referring to the Secondary Air Injection (SAI) CEL (Secondary air System, code P1411, cylinders 4-6)) & (Secondary air System, code P0410, cylinders 1-3) specifically, yes?

While all codes listed in the attachment will not throw a CEL, many of them will.

See attached file for possible Trouble Codes...
Attached Images
Old 02-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Drisump
Racer

Originally Posted by nine9six
You do realize that a Check Engine Light (CEL) can be for any number of reasons, yes?

I think you might be referring to the Secondary Air Injection (SAI) CEL (Secondary air System, code P1411, cylinders 4-6)) & (Secondary air System, code P0410, cylinders 1-3) specifically, yes?

While all codes listed in the attachment will not throw a CEL, many of them will.

See attached file for possible Trouble Codes...
Yes I do realize that the CEL can illuminate for a variety of reasons. The one reason that seems to cause the most grief and hassle however is the clogging of the secondary air system by burnt oil. Nice colour by the way....I've got one just like it.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:11 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes I do realize that the CEL can illuminate for a variety of reasons. The one reason that seems to cause the most grief and hassle however is the clogging of the secondary air system by burnt oil. Nice colour by the way....I've got one just like it.
You got that backwards. The only grief from SAI CEL is that you have nothing wrong with the car but can't pass emissions in many states. This is one CEL you can have and keep driving without worrying that something is wrong with your car. SAI is just the most common reason for CEL.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:22 PM
Drisump
Racer

Unless I've been grossly misinformed, I know that the tube that feeds the SAI may clog and result in a CEL illumination. I'm simply saying that an illumination of the CEL due to the clogging of the SAI system is a possibly minor, but potentially expensive PITA to rectify ....even though in itself doesn't necessarily mean real internal problems with the engine or any accompanying performance penalty. Anyway I'm always interested in broadening my knowledge base on my car, please feel free to enlighten me. Cheers
Old 02-23-2015, 09:42 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless I've been grossly misinformed, I know that the tube that feeds the SAI may clog and result in a CEL illumination. I'm simply saying that an illumination of the CEL due to the clogging of the SAI system is a possibly minor, but potentially expensive PITA to rectify ....even though in itself doesn't necessarily mean real internal problems with the engine or any accompanying performance penalty. Anyway I'm always interested in broadening my knowledge base on my car, please feel free to enlighten me. Cheers
Yep makes sense, but you said none of this above, hence the confusion.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The SAI issue is pretty easily addressed with an SAI system flush and valve replacement. I did this maintenance, but have not been able to drive the car enough to set the monitors. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Is there a trick for reading the oil level on the dipstick?