993 Forum 1995-1998

Strange sound from rebuilt engine...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish993
The 20w50 oil sounds very thick to me, I think you need to button up your leaks and drive it.
meh, for california, 20w-50 is fine. Its what I run year round btw.

Originally Posted by vincer77
Better check the other tensioner first.
I think he's done both at this point, one correct, the other not.

where is the big leak coming from?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jan the man
Hey peter if you have isolated the noise to the area of the lifters then maybe that is the issue they are not "pumping up" as mine did not untill i drove it. Mike and expeciallly Steve you guys have done engine rebuilds and lifter replacements, did yours quite down while idling afterwards without driving? I know mine didnt even though i soaked them in oil overnight. I certainly dont want you to drive your car and damage it but that is what i did and it worked. When you did the top end work did you replace the oil pressure sender? my original one and a "new" replacement one didnt work properly both went to zero when i took my foot of the gas and the warning light came on everytime i stoped. My third sender seems to work fine.

good luck......maybe its overpriced Porsche mechanic time?
Actually, the pressure sensor is original. The indicated oil pressure is the same as before. When I think back to pre-rebuild I recall the same type of readings I am getting now but memory plays tricks on you.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike J
During your 15 minutes, did the oil pressure look good?

574 only hardens without air contact, so it would just be carried in the oil - which is why you do a quick oil change after startup.

Cheers,

Mike
Oil pressure is the same as before. On cold start-up it goes up to 3 - 4 and as the oil warms it drops to one or below.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobt993
I agree with Mike's first question. How is the oil pressure now? Lifters may be pretty dry at this point and take a bit to pump up. The bummer is I had suggested this after your initial post and you have had to struggle with it for a week now. Your oil level was high in the crank for a bit so you may see some leaks at the case through bolts etc. If the rest of your oil flow is good the leaks may subside completely.
Yes, you were right about the tensioner. I think I delayed getting to it because I preceived the heat shield and overall access to be a real PITA. As it turned out it was relatively easy to do. Live and learn. So far, knock wood, the only oil leak has been from the cap itself.

On a side note I have to give Pelican Parts a big thumbs up. I ordered the gasket yesterday at 3:45PM and I had it in this morning's mail.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Vorsicht
Oil pressure is the same as before. On cold start-up it goes up to 3 - 4 and as the oil warms it drops to one or below.
Peter,

It can take time to get the lifters full of oil, even when they have been "marinating" overnight in a pan.

You need 1 bar/per 1K RPM, when hot for oil pressure.

Regarding the 574; one of the biggest DIY errors I see is the excess use of that stuff apparently fearing oil leaks. Its very translucent when applied properly and difficult to see. Most people use FAR too much and it can migrate to places where it shouldn't be.

"Less is more" is the guiding principle for 574.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Talking

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
meh, for california, 20w-50 is fine. Its what I run year round btw.

I think he's done both at this point, one correct, the other not.

where is the big leak coming from?
Yes, correct. Both are NOW oriented correctly. The leak is coming from the right chain housing retension cap. Probably because I re-used the gasket. I have a new one so this should be a non-issue.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Peter,

It can take time to get the lifters full of oil, even when they have been "marinating" overnight in a pan.

You need 1 bar/per 1K RPM, when hot for oil pressure.

Regarding the 574; one of the biggest DIY errors I see is the excess use of that stuff apparently fearing oil leaks. Its very translucent when applied properly and difficult to see. Most people use FAR too much and it can migrate to places where it shouldn't be.

"Less is more" is the guiding principle for 574.
Hi Steve.

The oil pressure when hot is about 1K at idle and higher when rpms increase so I should be OK there.

Regarding the lifters, in your experience how long does it usually take and at what rpms? I have not done the 2k rpm 20 minute break-in yet. Perhaps doing that would get them pumped up?

Yes. lesson learned on the 574!

Hope all is well in OR.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Hi Steve.

The oil pressure when hot is about 1K at idle and higher when rpms increase so I should be OK there.

Regarding the lifters, in your experience how long does it usually take and at what rpms? I have not done the 2k rpm 20 minute break-in yet. Perhaps doing that would get them pumped up?

Hope all is well in OR.
although 1 bar at 1000rpm (which is not what it idles at, right) is a guideline, I've never seen a 993 on 20w-50 oil that has so little oil pressure. Most have almost double that.

What did it have before the engine work?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

although 1 bar at 1000rpm (which is not what it idles at, right) is a guideline, I've never seen a 993 on 20w-50 oil that has so little oil pressure. Most have almost double that.

What did it have before the engine work?

IIRC, about the same.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

hmm, have you verified with a mechanical gauge?

sorry if you said this already.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

hmm, have you verified with a mechanical gauge?

sorry if you said this already.
No, not yet. I don't have one.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

they have super cheap ones at parts stores. all you need is a mechanical gauge and some line.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't your oil pressure peg at cold start-up? Even at idle I would expect more than 1 bar at normal operating temps. This concerns me. I would try the $20 mechanical gauge and verify your engine's actual oil pressure as suggested by others. Perhaps there was a pre-existing problem such as with the relief valve (sorry I don't recall whether you check this already)
Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Anyone know what the thread is at the pressure sender for attaching a gauge?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Steve.

Hope all is well in OR.
It can take some time,...anywhere from a few minutes to several miles.

Now,.......here is a KEY consideration at this juncture: camshaft break-in is very very critical and MUST be done in the first 15 minutes immediately from initial startup. In other words, one starts the engine and immediately gets the RPM's to 2000-2500 for at least 15 minutes. In most cases, that gets them full of oil.

Quick Reply: Strange sound from rebuilt engine...