Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter replacement. Where does this go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Starter replacement. Where does this go?

Getting ready to tackle the starter on my car. I got a Bosch starter and it came with a small bushing, washer, and nut. Can anyone tell me where these parts go? They are shown sitting next to the starter in this pic. Hoping for some insight before starting the job. Thx!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bushing goes on the tranny, is used in case it is worn, the nut and washer goes at the electrical (+) connection of the starter.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 PM
SOS
Pro

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Need to get to this too this spring.

Care to share any DIY experience, I'd be interested in hearing / reading it. :-)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
SOS
Pro

Did the job last night. The little copper bushing actually wouldn't fit, and the old starter didn't have it also so I just didn't use it. I also didn't have to remove the half shaft to get the starter out. Its not rocket science but it's an annoying job. Once you get under the car you'll see exactly what you need to do. Good luck with the upper bolt. Get to it with various extensions and universal joints.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
Did the job last night. The little copper bushing actually wouldn't fit, and the old starter didn't have it also so I just didn't use it. I also didn't have to remove the half shaft to get the starter out. Its not rocket science but it's an annoying job. Once you get under the car you'll see exactly what you need to do. Good luck with the upper bolt. Get to it with various extensions and universal joints.
More than likely it's still there (in the transmission housing), just didn't come out with the starter. When I did my clutch job it stayed there until I started pressure washing the housing, then it went flying.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Where did you find your starter? Was it a rebuilt starter? I need one for my car and I have only found one site that has new ones.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM
SOS
Pro

Originally Posted by 993BillW
More than likely it's still there (in the transmission housing), just didn't come out with the starter. When I did my clutch job it stayed there until I started pressure washing the housing, then it went flying.
That's what I thought too but i used a mirror and got a good clean look inside the housing. Didn't look like there was any bushing in there. I then took a pick to it to see if maybe it was just stuck in there and was possibly the same colour as the surrounding metal. Definitely didn't feel like any bushing. Strange. The car starts fine though so I'm not too worried.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM
SOS
Pro

Originally Posted by csmab
Where did you find your starter? Was it a rebuilt starter? I need one for my car and I have only found one site that has new ones.
I got a rebuilt starter from Pelican.

Quick Reply: Starter replacement. Where does this go?