Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wavetrac Torque-Biasing Limited Slip Differentials?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 AM
SchnellAuto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

am an authorized dealer...give you a deal on em.

lemon
Old 03-30-2017, 04:35 PM
MD355
Intermediate

Interesting thread...

Question :

Where can you buy clutch disks for Porsche OEM Limited Slip Differential ??

How can you tell if your LSD disks need replacing ?

Thanks !
Old 03-30-2017, 08:46 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed a Wavetrac when my diff broke last year.

I am not an expert driver, and I do not have experience with the clutch types, but compared to the open diff, it is marvelous. James at Patrick Motorsport recommended it to me.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:38 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally Installed Wavetrac ABD

I went ahead and had a Wavetrac automatic torque-biasing differential installed recently when I was having my clutch replaced (it was the original 108K-mile clutch--and the clutch disc didn't look too bad!). It's winter here in Indianapolis, and I was lucky to drive my 993 home from the shop with most of the snow cleared away expect for my neighborhood. The Wavetrac did its job immediately when I was climbing up my (snow-cleared) driveway in reverse with the left and right tires experiencing different traction conditions (driver's side was on dry pavement, passenger's side was on snow/ice). I had some wheel spin on the side with no traction, but the other side with traction pulled the car right up without any issues. I haven't been out in the 993 since, but I hope to enjoy the new-found traction advantage now that both halves of the drivetrain will be able to put down torque when its needed most! I had the shop pack my factory open diff in the Wavetrac shipping box--I was surprised at how heavy the factory open diff was?! I'll post more about my experience with the Wavetrac diff later this season if I'm at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Putnam Park Road Course, and/or Mid Ohio Sports Car Course for some DE time with the Central Indiana and/or Mid Ohio Region Porsche Clubs.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 PM
knorrena
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I also want an lsd, but I tried some chassis tuning first by upgrading to M030 roll bars. They significantly reduced tire spin in the corners and made it easier to rotate the car in turns because the suspension does soak up shifting inertia. I thought it would help me avoid the desire to get a LSD. I still want an LSD. I have a 40/65 in my 996 gt3 and I love the sensation it provides.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd finally got to try the Wavetrac diff out on track at Putnam Park Road Course this weekend http://putnampark.com/the-track-2/track-map/

Luckily it was a dry 3 days (April 27/28/29 2018) with the Central Indiana Region Porsche Club's "Spring Brake" DE. Air temperatures were between 56 and 70 degrees F. Friday and Sunday were calm with mild temperatures, but Saturday was windy and cool.

Along with the Wavetrac torque-biasing differential, I also had upgraded to 993 Carrera RS motor mounts, Carrera RS clutch and flywheel, and replaced the front shocks (factory M030 sport shocks), as I'd damaged them while trying to avoid a series of deep chuck holes in Marion County Indiana (still awful).

Tires are 12000-mile worn Michelin Pilot Super Sports (225/40 and 265/35-18) with 3/32nds tread depth rears and 6/32nds tread fronts. Wheels are Fikse FM-10s (8.5 and 10 x 18s). Cold pressures were 35 psi fronts, and 40 psi rears.

Front ground clearance was measured at the center of the car from the ground to the bottom of the spare tire well at ~4.5 inches. Rear ground clearance was measured from center of the car from the ground to the bottom of the installed engine tray at ~4.75 inches. Measurements were taken in my garage with a full fuel tank with the spare tire, air compressor, and tools stored in the front trunk.

Brakes are stock Pagid pads with stock rotors, calipers and hoses.

Interior is completely stock with 3-point seat belts, and Comfort optioned seats.

For my on-track sessions, the car was completely emptied with no floor mats (front/rear); front trunk interior carpet removed; spare tire, tools, and air compressor removed.

Torque-biasing diffs apparently have problems stabilizing the rear end of a 911 under hard braking in a straight line. I can happily report that I had no rear-end wiggle with the Wavetrac differential in place.

There are two heavy braking zones at Putnam Park--Turns #1 and #7. Into Turn 1 I brake from ~118-to-120 mph and apex at ~80-to-85 mph in 4th gear. I had no rear-end wiggle issues braking in a straight line into #1.

Entry speed into Turn #7 is ~90 mph and apex speed is ~45-to-48 mph in 2nd gear. Braking into #7 is tricky, as I had to stay long enough on the brakes before engaging 2nd gear (engage 2nd gear too soon, and you jerk the car from the rear-end locking up under engine braking). Again no rear-end wiggle issues braking in a straight line.

In dry conditions, coming out of every turn, the most loaded tire had the most torque, and the 265/35-18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports just dug in.

Heel-and-toe downshifts followed by throttle engagement are where the Wavetrac is a revelation. The driveline slack from the zero load state during the split-second-transition between braking and accelerating is gone, and engaging the throttle from brake release, immediately sent traction to the rear drive wheels.

With an open diff, exiting #7 can become a traction issue from the inside-rear tire spinning. Not so with the Wavetrac diff in place.

The Wavetrac enhanced the 993's turning abilities through all the turns, I didn't experience power-on understeer at mid-turn, like with a clutch-packed limited slip diff.

If you're considering a Wavetrac differential to replace your factory open differential--do it. You won't regret it. Getting this kind performance for a reasonable price, lifetime warranty, and ease of maintenance is a no-brainer.

Euro Motorworks of Indianapolis installed mine, but Patrick Motorsports offers 993 Wavetrac diffs for $1350 http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/pa...wavetrac-diff/

Enjoy your 993s this season!

Last edited by SleepRM3; 12-21-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 AM
Nash_TDI
Advanced

Just stumbled upon this thread when the OP was asking about wheels. Sold a ton of wavetracs for the VW application and like the feedback for the Porsche as well. Can do hook anybody up with those as well.

Quick Reply: Wavetrac Torque-Biasing Limited Slip Differentials?