993 Forum 1995-1998

Power Steering Fluid Drain & Flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally, I intended to remove these to drain the power steering system. Poor accessibility and the fact that some power steering fluid will still remain in the steering rack changed that plan.
If that is poor accessibility to the bolts? Is there a specical tool used to remove and install. Or maybe something like a crows foot on an extenstion?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron
If that is poor accessibility to the bolts? Is there a specical tool used to remove and install. Or maybe something like a crows foot on an extension?
Getting to the banjo bolts isn't the issue. Its connecting hoses to the banjo fitting on the end of the hoses for flushing/draining that would be.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is that because there is so little flex to the lines that getting threads started back into the rack will be a pita?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ron
Is that because there is so little flex to the lines that getting threads started back into the rack will be a pita?
That would not worry me. My aim was to get as much of the old fluid out as possible.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Greetings everyone!
In researching which power steering fluid to use on my '96, I stumbled upon a few threads on the subject, this one the most recent. It appears that many are defaulting to Pentosin CHF 202. In reading the owner's manual, it clearly states that Petosin is for turbos while Dexron II D is for naturally aspirated. So... is there a reason to use one over the other? Price difference is roughly $15/qt/lt. Thoughts?

On a similar note... Thanks for the great write-up. It will definitely come in handy in the near future.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Default Thanks for the tips

Having searched RL and Google, none was found other than the turkey baster method (aka dilution method) of changing the power steering fluid.

IXRL8:

I was pleased to stumble across your article because I needed to change the contaminated power steering fluid in my '04 Cayenne. I had turkey basted and refilled the unmarked reservoir with ATF a couple of times, but I really wanted to get the brake fluid out of there.

The trick I learned from your article was to loosen the tube on the steering rack which I could access to allow the fluid to drain. One commenter suggested using positive pressure from a brake bleeding pump to move things along.

I kept the hoist busy for an hour, but after 1 litre of new fluid it was dripping blue, instead of red. I worked some bubbles out by turning the steering wheel with the engine off, and then burped it with a couple of tentative engine-on left-right-centre cycles. I added another .25 litres to top up the reservoir. It feels and sounds good now.

Rod
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm confused. You put brake fluid and ATF in your cayenne PS??

I want to use alex's method but am concerned about disturbing the 20 year old rubber o ring gaskets around the lower lines. I'm going to try to flush from the banjo bolts, and the lower lines as a backup. Was just using Alex's guide in this thread last week to read up. Great info here.

The rubber o rings can't be sourced from power steering rack guys or the dealer.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:06 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Default Burnt Fingers Auto Mechanics

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
I'm confused. You put brake fluid and ATF in your cayenne PS??
I was hooking up the right front calliper after repairing a CV joint boot. The brake line was dry. The reservoir was unlabelled and looked pretty low. The brake reservoir turned out to be under another panel. Sh*t happens.

I turkey-bastered as much out as I could and topped it up with what the fine print on the label asked for: mineral oil hydraulic fluid. I had a gallon of high quality stuff for my Kubota. Then I read ATF is a better choice, so I diluted the brake fluid even further.

When I bought 2 litres of the correct Audi/VW fluid, I realized its viscosity is much thinner than ATF, so I flushed the system as well as I could and filled it with 1.25 litres of blue fluid.

Hey, this is the fun of "naked cliff diving."

BTW: Has it occurred to anyone that Porsche doesn't list these "O" rings because they're as common as dirt, a standard item in every mechanic's plastic box of "O" rings?

Last edited by Rod Croskery; 12-11-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:29 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Could we have a pic, so we know who we don't want, trying to stop behind us? :-0
Old 12-11-2016, 11:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
The rubber o rings can't be sourced from power steering rack guys or the dealer.
Not from the dealer according to PET, but you can get various cross sectional shapes of sealing rings (round, square and X for example) from seal suppliers.

Its been a long time, but I remember them being square in cross section. That might also be because they ended up being pressed into that shape over time due to the cavity they sit in.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:44 PM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Default You're not in Kansas any more, Dorothy.

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Could we have a pic, so we know who we don't want, trying to stop behind us? :-0
There are lots of pix of "Ruby" on this site:

https://rodcroskery.wordpress.com/20...he-new-normal/
Old 12-28-2016, 10:23 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

post removed. forgot to add the photos

Last edited by EMBPilot; 01-02-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:15 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Alex,
Thank you for the detailed DIY, as usual!
Happy Holidays, my friend.
Cheers,
Paul
Old 01-02-2017, 01:14 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

a few notes.

- alex's method seems to be the only way to get the most fluid out without mixing.

- the dilution method is a waste of time (and fluid). The pump just doesnt circulate enough fluid to have a meaningful change. This is while using a proper extraction pump. turkey baster? forget it.

- if your car is pre 1996, there is a chance the rack is running ATF fluid (like in the 964). This was later changed by bulletin to allow Pentosin. You'll know if the fluid that comes out is reddish. These fluids cannot be mixed, plan accordingly.

second full flush revealed fresh fluid at the rack and reservoir

contaminants that came out with old fluid

old and new (o-ring shown)
Old 01-02-2017, 10:25 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nine9six
Alex,
Thank you for the detailed DIY, as usual!
Happy Holidays, my friend.
Cheers,
Paul
Thanks Paul, sorry for the late reply.

I just don't pop in all that often anymore. Been and still am busy.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Drain & Flush