Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best garage floor coating?? Chime in please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Porcelain Tiles

As an alternative.... I've had porcelain ceramic tiles down for years now, so far so great.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Behr 1-part epoxy concrete and garage paint, after the recommended detergent scrub and concrete etch. After a couple year it had flaked off everywhere it saw salt water. After 10 years it is in great shape everywhere it did not see salt water.

Like the ceramic, above.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
Like the ceramic, above.
Commonly found in garages in Europe, both private and commercial.

They are of a different grade though...Clinker Tiles.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul902
I used Behr 1-part epoxy concrete and garage paint, after the recommended detergent scrub and concrete etch. After a couple year it had flaked off everywhere it saw salt water. After 10 years it is in great shape everywhere it did not see salt water.

Like the ceramic, above.
Paul....

These are the tiles that you see on most of the floors at TD Branches....
Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Nacelle
As an alternative.... I've had porcelain ceramic tiles down for years now, so far so great.
How do these tiles tolerate jack stands and floor jacks? I may consider this next time. Thanks
Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul....

These are the tiles that you see on most of the floors at TD Branches....
Cool. That floor is "so money."
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
How do these tiles tolerate jack stands and floor jacks? I may consider this next time. Thanks
OK for stands and jacks but I would not want to drop a hammer or something similar on them...

Jax
Old 01-06-2013, 12:30 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

OK for stands and jacks but I would not want to drop a hammer or something similar on them...

Jax
Who is the manufacture of the flooring...Argelith?

Perfect solution for my second garage...very old and used by the owner to do oil changes etc for DECADES...no way can I get the oil out of the concrete to to epoxy type cover on top.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:41 AM
il pirata
Banned

Jax
Who is the manufacture of the flooring...Argelith?

Perfect solution for my second garage...very old and used by the owner to do oil changes etc for DECADES...no way can I get the oil out of the concrete to to epoxy type cover on top.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I polished the concrete floor in my garage. It is holding up well but it shows the imperfections in the concrete, which is fine for me. My house is 60 years old and the floor looks amazingly well for its age. I'll post pictures later in the week.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
il pirata
Banned

Jax
If those are Argelith tiles Gert says you can drop a tool on them and they will not crack. Turns out he is in the Denver area today on his way to meet with New Belgium brewery about a new plant. He is going to stop bye with a sample and check out the old concrete flooring in the garage to see if he thinks it is okay.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Bob....

The tiles on my floor are not Argelith.

best..... Jax
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
dnmnm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I polished the concrete floor in my garage. It is holding up well but it shows the imperfections in the concrete, which is fine for me. My house is 60 years old and the floor looks amazingly well for its age. I'll post pictures later in the week.
Looking forward to your pictures...! I'm considering polishing my concrete floor as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by dnmnm
Looking forward to your pictures...! I'm considering polishing my concrete floor as well.
+1. Would also appreciate estimated cost per sq. ft. and any tips on doing it correctly.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1

I was going to suggest tile. Go to your local large contractor tile warehouse where you can get tile for less than $1/sqft and if you do the installation yourself, I don't think there will be much cheaper alternative.

I put jackstands on my tile floor without any plywood or similar and haven't had any problems in many years, oil wipes off without any products, you can hose off snow if that's what you get (not an issue here obvious) etc.

This is another great option. Not expensive, pretty durable and stain resistant and looks awesome. To me, the imperfections of polished concrete are only additional beauty of the material, something to love. Not only in garage but elsewhere in house too.

Quick Reply: Best garage floor coating?? Chime in please!