Outdoor car covers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Outdoor car covers?

Hi,

I've heard good and bad things about using outdoor car covers. I live in a very wet area close to a river, which makes mist and low fog common, and have no access to a garage, my car get's driven a lot less than it used to as I walk to work, but I do use the car a couple of times a week all year round.

My question is do you think it would it be a good idea to cover it to keep the rain out or not?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I go back and forth with car covers as I park my daily driver outside. They block the UV, they keep the leaves, sticks, and bird poop off the car - those are the pros. The cons are that they are a pain to deal with if wet and dirty and they could put fine scratches on your car.

I use one if I won't be using the car for a few days or longer. Otherwise, leave it off.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't use a cover if you're driving the car a couple times a week...probably makes sense if you leave it parked for 2-3 weeks at a time, but they're really a PITA to keep clean -- a two-man job to cover/uncover without it dragging on the ground. Plus you really shouldn't put a cover on a dirty car -- as mentioned above, it'll put fine scratches in the paint. So unless you're going to wash the car after every use, sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:23 PM
daiys
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a coverking with cable locks and admit they are a PITA. In the bad weather they blow off and I spent the nite recovering the car up. Now the cover sits in my garage. D
Old 12-29-2012, 04:26 PM
bjornebo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
I go back and forth with car covers as I park my daily driver outside. They block the UV, they keep the leaves, sticks, and bird poop off the car - those are the pros. The cons are that they are a pain to deal with if wet and dirty and they could put fine scratches on your car.

I use one if I won't be using the car for a few days or longer. Otherwise, leave it off.
I do the same. I generally drive it on the weekend and keep it under the cover during the week.

Originally Posted by NP993
I wouldn't use a cover if you're driving the car a couple times a week...probably makes sense if you leave it parked for 2-3 weeks at a time, but they're really a PITA to keep clean -- a two-man job to cover/uncover without it dragging on the ground.
When removing the cover I roll/fold it from the front to the top (so the front half of the cover is sitting over the sun roof). Ditto for the back half. I then roll the cover into a "jelly roll" starting at the passenger side. Putting the cover on is the reverse of this process. One person job and the cover doesn't touch the ground. Also, I have the Porsche cover that has four tie loops so that I can secure it side to side and front to back. We recently had some 50-60 mph winds and the cover did fine.

Quick Reply: Outdoor car covers?