Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good instructions for timing or syncronizing convertible top transmissions and motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:17 PM
fst951
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Good instructions for timing or syncronizing convertible top transmissions and motor?

Hello Gentlemen.

Anyone have a good link on adjusting and timing the convertible top motor and transmissions? I have done it a couple of times but have a customer that wants a write up to adjust his after getting a new top put on. Any good links would be very much appreciated.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edit: I didn't read your post.
I found that after recovering the tops they need to be twisted back into shape, then left closed in the AZ sun for a day.

Remove the quarter covers.

Unbolt the cab frame arms from the transmissions. Be sure to note the shims used on each side.

Manually move the top back 3/4 of the way open.

Put the two bolts back in the transmission finger tight.

Hit the switch to open until the transmissions starts to click and stops turning the bolts. At this time the gear is free of the drive on both sides.

Preload with your hands both trans bolts (forward) as someone else hits the close button, or you could do it with your toe if you have the skills.

Run it closed for a couple seconds and then bolt the frame back on at that phase of closing.

Close the top about 12" from the windshield and slightly twist it with the help of another person on the other side untill both pins hit at the same time.

I'm better at doing it then writing about it, if you get stuck pm me and I'll help by phone.

Last edited by CalvinC4S; 12-21-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Good instructions for timing or syncronizing convertible top transmissions and motor?