Sponsored by:

C2 vs C4... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J4yDubs
I've seen this said a couple times in these C2 vs C4 threads (yeah, there's been one or two in the past ). A counter argument to this statement is that a couple of publication have tested the C4 as being faster (by .1 - .5 secs) to 60 than the C2. I have an R&T article from 1995 that states this. Of course, if you really care about 0-60 times, you probably shouldn't be looking at a non-turbo 993. There's a bunch of other cars out there that will win in 0-60.

The C4 also comes with some equipment standard that were options on the C2. Better brakes and limited slip come to mind (I forget the exact Porsche terminology).

Oh and there's that very cool "4" after the Carrera. That's worth at least a $2k bump in price.

As others have said though, don't worry about the car being a C2 or C4. The differences are not enough to sway you one way or another. I ended up with a C4, but that's just because that's what I found. I'd have been just as happy with a C2. I do love that little "4" though...

John

The actual brake calipers are all the same across C2, C4 and all S models until you get to turbo and RS etc. from what I found searching.

I went C2 for simple engine drops, clutch work and less to worry about, lighter weight and it's not a DD. I have a new Honda Ridgeline for snow. I would not have been opposed to a C4S but would have deleted the front wheel drive if the awd had the first problem. The suspensions are tuned so that they are easy on the driver in stock form. All my prior Porsches were 2wd. Plus since these cars are getting older I didn't want to have one more thing to think about. Everything I've read is that they are so close not to worry about it. I still lean towards less is more personally. Unless it's beer.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by hkspwrsche
The actual brake calipers are all the same across C2, C4 and all S models until you get to turbo and RS etc. from what I found searching.
C4S, had Turbo brakes.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Unless you are a very experienced and talent track monkey, either car is more car than you are driver.
That may be the case, but w/ my C2 I can put it sideways anytime I like when it's sloppy out. Three times today... In fairness, I was trying.

With a C4 or C4S I doubt it's that easy, can't confirm though.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
That may be the case, but w/ my C2 I can put it sideways anytime I like when it's sloppy out. Three times today. In fairness, I was trying.

With a C4 or C4S I doubt it's that easy, can't confirm though.
Jason, I can confirm that you can get a C4/C4S sideways almost as easily as a C2. As I own 2 C2s, I will take the 5th on how I know this.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Jason, I can confirm that you can get a C4/C4S sideways almost as easily as a C2. As I own 2 C2s, I will take the 5th on how I know this.
Thanks, Tim. I thought it was maybe just the well-worn Sumi-III rear's...
Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Just wait until the wonky awd system in the c4 blows up on you and leaves you stranded on the side of the road. Then you'll be sorry. That extra 100ish lbs will also turn the car from nimble and quick to heavy and slow. Is that what you really want?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
Just wait until the wonky awd system in the c4 blows up on you and leaves you stranded on the side of the road. Then you'll be sorry. That extra 100ish lbs will also turn the car from nimble and quick to heavy and slow. Is that what you really want?
That's a bit of an exaggeration, 100 lbs won't turn any (road) car from nimble and quick to heavy and slow.

I personally would go for a rwd, however, since you want the wide body, C2S are much harder and expensive to find so you might have to "settle" for a C4S.

Best of luck on your search!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SOS
A viscous coupler is wonky? Say the fluid dies, what happens? You have a rear wheel drive car, nothing more.

Extra 100 lbs? So you can tell the difference in a 1/4 full tank v. full? If so, my old standby goes--what instructor has ever refused a ride along because of passenger weight?

For the record, I drive both of my 993s the same when I've had both at the track same day, same conditions, same tire make/model. (Of course the 4S is slower around the track, given that the car is near-stock.) Maybe, maybe, maybe Thunderhill T2 is slightly different (180 degree, ~72 MPH min speed). Not much, though.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 AM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Originally Posted by SOS
Just wait until the wonky awd system in the c4 blows up on you and leaves you stranded on the side of the road.
Wonky? By what measure? The 993's AWD was greatly simplified from the 964 and has proven to be very reliable.

Originally Posted by SOS
That extra 100ish lbs will also turn the car from nimble and quick to heavy and slow. Is that what you really want?
Do you have ANY kind of data to back that statement up? There's a lot of data out there that comes to the opposite conclusion.

John
Old 12-10-2012, 12:21 AM
J4yDubs
Instructor

I believe the C4 came with 4 piston calipers standard and that was an option on the C2. I could be wrong though. In any case, the calipers are painted silver on the C4; that gives you an extra 10 feet less stopping distance right there.

Everything I've read is that they are so close not to worry about it. I still lean towards less is more personally. Unless it's beer.
Can't and won't argue with that logic...

John
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by race911
A viscous coupler is wonky? Say the fluid dies, what happens? You have a rear wheel drive car, nothing more.

Extra 100 lbs? So you can tell the difference in a 1/4 full tank v. full? If so, my old standby goes--what instructor has ever refused a ride along because of passenger weight?

For the record, I drive both of my 993s the same when I've had both at the track same day, same conditions, same tire make/model. (Of course the 4S is slower around the track, given that the car is near-stock.) Maybe, maybe, maybe Thunderhill T2 is slightly different (180 degree, ~72 MPH min speed). Not much, though.
gas tank perfect response ... i always feel very slow on a full tank and become happy when i near the bottom
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Another thread takes a turn for the worse because people are racing from the back pages of a car magazine.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:18 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Having had a c2 and now a c4, the difference is not worth talking about . I do like the extra traction in the wet . I had a bad viscous coupling when the car was having the ppi and the awd locked but was still driving fine. The previous owner had it changed and now it is a wonderful car.
The best advice I ever got is buy the right car and don't focus on the options. A well maintained car, regardless of awd our not is your best bet .
Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
C4S, had Turbo brakes.
Good clarification. Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 09:58 PM
SOS
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by race911

I'm f**king with you. Obviously 100lbs is not the end of the world. And my viscous coupler works just fine.

Quick Reply: C2 vs C4... thoughts?