Sponsored by:

Argh - can't decide H&R or M030 springs for Bilstein HD

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 09:37 PM
71-3.0-911
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Argh - can't decide H&R or M030 springs for Bilstein HD

I'm running H&R 29953s on Bilstein HDs and quite like it. They are progressive, unlike the hypercoils they replaced. Ride height set at RS.

Name:  IMG_3239_zpsevvwugyt.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  217.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3242_zps8vb2aovg.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  199.9 KB
Old 06-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thread bump from the past... Anyhow, I have the H&R Street Performance kit, which essentially are H&R springs with HDs revalved by H&R to make their springs. I'm quite happy with the set up. Pricing is comparable to ordering HDs and springs separately. (Though I got mine through a fellow RLer for less that retail )
Old 06-15-2015, 11:56 PM
pilotjosh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
Thread bump from the past... Anyhow, I have the H&R Street Performance kit, which essentially are H&R springs with HDs revalved by H&R to make their springs. I'm quite happy with the set up. Pricing is comparable to ordering HDs and springs separately. (Though I got mine through a fellow RLer for less that retail )
I like the idea of the progressive H&R spring, but read somewhere that people have experienced chatter from the tightly wound coils hitting each other in use. Have you experienced this? I know other cars I've worked on (non-porsche) have had rubber sleeves on part of the spring to prevent it...
Old 06-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have not noticed any 'chattering' of the springs against the strut mounts. I'm set at RS+10mm ride height, perhaps if the car were set to ROW height or higher there might be some room for movement and chatter. Someone earlier in this thread stated the H&R springs are shorter than ROW M030s, so perhaps they really need to be used at ride heights below ROW.

Whatever the reason, I'm quite pleased with my setup. We'll see how that sticks as I slowly get sucked into the world of track days...
Old 06-16-2015, 11:38 AM
pilotjosh
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
I have not noticed any 'chattering' of the springs against the strut mounts. I'm set at RS+10mm ride height, perhaps if the car were set to ROW height or higher there might be some room for movement and chatter. Someone earlier in this thread stated the H&R springs are shorter than ROW M030s, so perhaps they really need to be used at ride heights below ROW.

Whatever the reason, I'm quite pleased with my setup. We'll see how that sticks as I slowly get sucked into the world of track days...
Glad to hear... And thanks for the info.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM
JDB1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always enjoy shock/spring discussions. Almost as much as "what is the best engine oil." There is no such thing as matching non-variable shocks/struts with a given set of springs for all driving conditions; simply too many variables such as sprung weight, un-sprung weight, road surface conditions, suspension travel and so on. One must tune for conditions as they change, that is why there are adjustable valve shocks/struts and springs with various compression rates. Even with great tuning detail, one ends up with trying to find the best compromise for the task at hand. Another curious thought, why some insist on Porsche brand suspension parts to go with after market shocks/struts. By the way, I have Bilstein HDs with H&R springs for my '97 C2, IMO the best cost/performance compromise for my car and the roads I drive on.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:46 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

i have the Bilstein Hd's with ROW OEM Springs.
Our roads Not so good - But great for highway.

I must say for my purposes I should have made a Better Choice.
Goin to Euro Springs and riding on Rough Roads / City especially, DD use, the HD's need a Revalve.
They were Intended for 80% of drivers

Goin to De events now I can not help But wonder Hmmm What would've been better.
Woulda Coulda Shoulda - still not sold on PSS 10's though...hmmm
Agreed though, for a Strut designed to last 75000 Miles for the $ can't be beat.

Quick Reply: Argh - can't decide H&R or M030 springs for Bilstein HD