Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why to appreciate 993s (Story 1,375,349)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
why can't you work on a 991?

Did they stop using nuts, bolts, and screws on it?
Its under warranty
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,385 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Its under warranty
doesn't cover maintenance
Old 12-02-2012, 03:06 PM
RocketJohn
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Once I let it be known that my 993 was 18 years old, and the oldest car in the parking lot, the talks of fanciness and expensive quickly ceased. I am known as the gear head and often ride one of my motos to work and have always had more than one car, so the 993 is par for the course. Plus my wife and I don't have kids so, obviously we can afford a 3rd car in their minds.

My 993 gets tons of attention when refueling... I think it has to do with the fact that its such a great organic and iconic esign, that isnt nearly as exotic as other sports cars. This makes it and me much more approachable especially being a guy in jeans and a tshirt...
Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Malibu101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think yourselves lucky with a price tag of only $170k. The same 991 optioned up in Australia will put you back near on $300k
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't cover maintenance
Perhaps I would get a BMW then. Who enjoys maintaining a new car anyway? It can't be much more than infrequent oil and plug changes. Its not that interesting anyway which is why someone else can take care of that.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
So damn true! The sad part is that my co-workers 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee costs more than my 993 but "wooooo you have a Porsche" is the general consensus given by the peanut gallery.
Well said, Cam. To save the aggravation, I only drive my DD to work.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by matt777
Perhaps I would get a BMW then. Who enjoys maintaining a new car anyway? It can't be much more than infrequent oil and plug changes. Its not that interesting anyway which is why someone else can take care of that.
not wanting to to and not being able to are different matters.

Oh and I do. Its much nicer not to have evidence of crappy work, jerry rigging, etc.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Too funny to log back in after three days and see this has legs.

Couple of observations glancing through:

You guys have it all wrong thinking Porsches lead to massive amounts of unsolicited female attention. It's actually the single female Porsche owners who start to appear.

I'll have a conversation with other Porsche owners who employ lower middle class workers, or are out hustling sales where your prospective customer can see you driving up, to compare notes about what you do/do not want them to see about your personal life. I've had the luxury of explaining things away, as my employees know I (barely at this point) generate income from Porsches. I don't think I'd get the same reaction from those $12-15/hr. workers if I rolled up in something new/new-ish.

And I've got a whole 'nother set of thoughts after spending a day at the PCA Tech Tactics at the Ontario PCNA facility on Saturday. (Plus, Saturday night. But I think that will stay filed under What Happens in Ontario, Stays In Ontario.)
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Curently: I daily drive a Honda Ridgeline I bought new 2 years ago. It's dark gray/blue called Polished metal. No one notices or comments. Before that a black 4runner same response and blended in.
When I started this job I would show up on my motorcycle or my 911SC and got a lot of comments like "Wow must be nice to be a bachelor and have money" and other things like that. When I got my S2000 which listed for $35k new it didnt seem like a big deal to most folks since it said Honda on it. Now that I'm back to a Porsche I havent decided if I will ever drive my 993 to work unless we are down a car and my wife needs my Ridgeline. I do ride my motorcycle to work and did today.

I think it's one of those things that can be expected in some areas. It is a bit ostentatious even if we buy for the feel, engineering or history. If you wear a Rolex you could have the same issue in some areas or choose another model of swiss watch that drew less attention like a JLC or Patek that some poeple would never recognize. Or even my Speedy Pro on a NATO strap goes unnoticed. Wear a Rolex and some secretary will notice and point it out.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mayans predict the world is about to end.. what if they are right? Drive the porsche every day and ignore the idiots. Life is too short to worry about such things in my opinion but i appear to be in the minority so far on this thread.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JLJ11
Mayans predict the world is about to end.. what if they are right? Drive the porsche every day and ignore the idiots. Life is too short to worry about such things in my opinion but i appear to be in the minority so far on this thread.
I think its easy to say that and for some it doesn't matter. Depending on what you do for a living, sometimes its just not worth the aggrevation of it all though. It's also not getting better......don't want to get too far into politics, but if you appear to doing well these days you seem to be a bit more of a target (for simple stupid comments and otherwise) than you were 10 years ago.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

why can't you work on a 991?

Did they stop using nuts, bolts, and screws on it?
As a matter of fact they did. Just about everything is connected to the CAN bus on the 991 and you need a dealer service dept. to change any of the settings to the damn car save for the memory seats. The 997 is really the last Porsche you can do moderate wrenching on your own.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mts
I think its easy to say that and for some it doesn't matter. Depending on what you do for a living, sometimes its just not worth the aggrevation of it all though. It's also not getting better......don't want to get too far into politics, but if you appear to doing well these days you seem to be a bit more of a target (for simple stupid comments and otherwise) than you were 10 years ago.
yeah i agree and its a real sad direction we appear to be heading in. I can totally understand going for the easy life and not taking the porsche. Its just frustrating that the world is getting like that. I turned up for work in a Ford GT once.. that didnt go down well at all..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by ilko
As a matter of fact they did. Just about everything is connected to the CAN bus on the 991 and you need a dealer service dept. to change any of the settings to the damn car save for the memory seats. The 997 is really the last Porsche you can do moderate wrenching on your own.
Ilko, thats true, but my mercedes has a can-bus and that hasn't stopped me from doing a lot of work on it. Yes, things like electronic modules can be a challenge without the manuf. computers, but that doesn't stop things like oil changes, suspension/brake work, air filters, cabin filters, belts etc.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Trust me, it's more complicated than we both imagine.

Quick Reply: Why to appreciate 993s (Story 1,375,349)