Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Spacers and centering rings for rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012 | 10:40 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Default OT: Spacers and centering rings for rear wheels

I will try here. I posted this over on the bimmerforums board, but some threads are a bit quiet. Notably mine. Maybe someone has some thoughts on my winter tire/wheel questions for my Z3 M Coupe.

I ordered Elbrus I06 wheels and winter tires from Tire Rack. The overall FUNCTIONAL fitment is fine. However, I didn't anticipate how anemic the rears would look. Vanity, I know. I gave up ~31mm on the outside of each rear, but only about ~1mm on the fronts. Additionally, these wheels require centering rings. Tire Rack provided plastic centering rings, but I would prefer something a bit more substantial. So my first question is, does anyone know of a source for 79.5 OD - 72.6 ID centering rings that will make me a bit more confident about their longevity?

Second, the only source I've found for 30mm spacers is H&R. But even that would still require the centering rings. Are there other sources for 30mm spacers besides H&R? What are the odds that I could find some spacers that have the right hub and wheel diameters so I don't need the centering rings? In my ideal world, I would put higher quality aluminum centering rings on the front, 30mm spacers (and no centering rings) on the rears, and call it a day until spring. Any thoughts?

For those who wish to take the thread in other directions:
1) they don't salt the roads out here
2) if you think I'm an idiot for taking those wheels with those offsets, I'm open to that feedback. Perhaps I should have just ordered the rears with a -10 offset? Hell, maybe I still should. It wouldn't be much more expensive than the $150 H&R spacers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2012 | 03:36 PM
JimPA
Racer

I use 30mm rear spacers for my Sport Classic II wheels (10J x 18 ET65 ). They came with the car 10+ years ago and don't require centering rings. I plan to mount the winter wheels (9J x 17 ET15, so no spacer needed) later this week. I will check the spacer manufacturer when I take them off.

Quick Reply: OT: Spacers and centering rings for rear wheels