Rubber smell & smoke from vents with heater on

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
si2t3m
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber smell & smoke from vents with heater on

Hi All,

Been running alot with the heater on as it's sub 0 celcius in the last week. I was getting an occasional rubber smell inside the cabin on occasion but today was something else! Everything was fine this moring. But when leaving out at lunch time, after 1 minute drive, the rubber smell (not oil) came in the cabin big time and this time got alot of smoke coming from the vents. Parked the car, looked at it clueless and popped open the engin lid. The air duct that was cracked (ordered a 964 part as I have a 95 but i need the 993. part... so i'm waiting for it to get here). The air duct now has a large piece of it broken off and i'm now guessing one of 2 things. It's heating up on the engine and smoking the cabin when the heater is on or worst, it got ingested by the heater fan in the engine compartement and is now sitting somewhere in the heat exchangers resting/burning on one of the headers...

I'm guessing the lastest as I got smoke in the cabin within only a couple of minutes of drive.

Will be looking under the shroud tonight to try and find something...

Moral of the story, if that rubber air duct is cracked, replace it asap!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Default smells

I seem to recall I would get hot rubber smells and steam if I drove in wet weather and slashed water on the engine would suck into the heater intakes.

Quick Reply: Rubber smell & smoke from vents with heater on