Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Sumitomo 1st impressions

Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had Sumi IIIs for 2 years now and have no complaints except they are too small. Next time I will step up a size.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward
Somewhat OT, but I am wondering if any here have done a comparo between the Sumi IIIs and the Hankook V12s and can comment between these two choices (being like-priced, and all)?

Edward
All good feedback on the tire guys, and so far all just like the feedback in other threads about them, too. Overall the HTR Z III has become one of my best selling tire for 993/996 along with PS2's. Like Andy commented, they are very close to the overall performance of the Michelin for half the price, and that's hard to overlook. Let's admit it, regardless if the tires are $650 or $1200 a set you are going to be looking for new ones in the same amount of miles. If you really push the car to its limits you will probably most benefit from the PS2 because it offers the upper-end performance that you are willing to pay to get. BUT, if you drive the car like most do (moderate dry driving and back and forth to work) the HTR Z III will perform for you just fine. The easiest comparison to the Hankook is this: If dry performance is more important than wet, go the Sumitomo. If you are more concerned with hydroplane resistance than the Hankook will probably benefit you better. The tread is more open so behaves great in the rain. But it suffers a bit in dry traction because of the tread squirm it has as a result. Both run a bit narrow as well so keep that in mind when ordering.

Keep the feedback coming! Of course, if anyone has any questions feel free to call me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sumitomo 1st impressions