Sponsored by:

Driving the C2s to a German Porsche swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:11 AM
Gmund48
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving the C2s to a German Porsche swap

I guess I didn't realize how lucky I have it, I have collected Porsches for 20 plus years and the Strähle Swap in Schorndorf ( near Stuttgart ) was this past Saturday. It was full of parts, memoribilia including 911R Manuals, 904, 904Gts and 906 brochures. Mostly for the Early 911s but I did pick up some english Manuals and euro 993 parts

The amazing thing was the drive, it is Autobahn the majority of the way and traffic was very very light,at 7AM the GPS told me I would arrive at 9:40, but in reality I made it by 9:00 AM

I haven't really pushed the C2S too much but comfortable cruising speed was
120 Mph and one particular area it was wide open and an Audi was flying so I kept up and looked down at 160mph. when he let me take point. I was totally engrossed in driving and the little folding cup holder I mounted on the passenger side of tunnel still had my morning coffee 1/2 full when I arrived

It was a pleasure to only be in the fast lane when passing or flying and for the most part, people respect the law and get over. now the occasional french 1.2
Diesel trying to pass a truck was a good test of the brakes, and the varying speed limits on the autobahn make it challenging sometimes but for the most part the drive was not stressful at all I have been more stressed doing 55 in LA or in New Jersey with cars that have missing tail lights and pass on all sides

I met many familiar Porsche faces, it was like a reunion for those who were at Porsche from the Late 60s, 70s and 80s Neat event will happen in Great Britain in September
13th I think

I did not realize how the old guard loved the 993 and everything included comments like thats how a Porsche is supposed to sound, to them comparing the door closing sound to the 991 ( nice car ) parked behind me, Granted My C2S has only 32K on the odo, and is not concours, but is close enough When we were gathered in the parking lot even the smell came into play I did not realize how truly different the 993 is to the newer cars. Now I like the new cars but doubt they will feel this tight in 15 years. Not quite in the league of the Silver Homologated GT1 street car that was driven down.

The 993 really is special and is a favorite amongst German enthusiasts
Its not going to out perform its younger breathren in acceleration or top speed
but it is still so much fun to drive, and I can feel the linage to my 68 L and 73 E
as well as the smell of the 356SC in the States ( can't wait to find me a 993 Turbo to have and to hold)

I am going to borrow a 991 for a weekend and will make some comparisons
Should get to drive a Boxster S and Cayman whens its unwraped as well

For now, Value What You Have because they are not the fastest or the best handling, but are still an engaging experience driving one in Germany on a Daily basis. Its like a dog that never quits or a Woman who ages well and is a great companion. Can't wait to take the C2 cab out when the weather permits

My lesson, Love the one your with ! I was proud to get in and drive my car with all that New 100K plus metal around

Enough rambling

I am returning again in early December to the Christmas market if you go to Germany Always buy more trinkets and gifts at the museum that are not available elsewhere. Christmas tree Ornaments for 3 euros ( could be cookie cutters) Porsche rubber ducks 4 Euro (really) and smaller items only made for the Museum that were so reasonable they make great stocking stuffers. Windup police Porsches for 5 Euro and Posters for 10Euro and up.

Tschuss
American in Germany
RK Ramstein Germany/ Redmond Or
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tschuss,

Your comments are very valuable to our group, especially being able to drive at that speed... and yes I value my C2S every day... Porsche #8 after owning Porsches for 48 years!

Thanks for posting your thoughtful comments!

Bert
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Pics !!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Appreciate the insights! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Curious about your username. Do you have a Gmund?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:25 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I've had the 993 to some pretty ugly speeds (well above 160 indicated on speedo, so probably about 160+ in real life) and can attest that it is rock stable. Considering the antique aerodynamics this was impressive. And so are the brakes.

One great observation that I fully agree with - it's _much_ more relaxing to drive on the bahn than to do so in the States. I usually cruise at 130 mph in rental appliances for 3 hours from Frankfurt to Hanover right after a 7 hour overnight flight from Boston. Compare that to a common 3.5 hour drive from Boston to NYC in the middle of the day in light traffic... it's like a mini-vacation vs. unloading a railroad car full of metal ball bearings.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Thank you for your post. It's interesting that you mention how the "old guard" at Porsche value the 993. This past summer I was lucky enough to meet with some very nice individuals in the archives department. During our conversation I brought up how the 993 was my favorite 911 and was surprised to hear that many within Porsche feel the same way.

Looking forward to your future posts?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like our 993's are pretty well appreciated. Great write up for sure! Something that I often thought about doing sometime, maybe an opportunity to stop into the Classic Workshop.

Quick Reply: Driving the C2s to a German Porsche swap