Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recaro pole or 996 gt3 seats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

From my scale - the GT3 seat itself (shell, cushions, leather, 4 mounting bolts) is 17.2 lbs. The sliders & side mounting brackets are ~12lbs.

If you're going to use a harness, get the GT3 or confirm the shoulder belt locations on the PP are in the right spot for your torso.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My PP's ready to bolt in with seats, Alm side mounts, sliders were 26lbs. ea.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing to consider nobody has mentioned is pricing. At Carnewal's site, a pair of GT3 seats is EUR 4,000 in fabric, while the PP in fabric can be had for around 700 EUR according to a Recaro pricelist I have seen.
And there are two versions of the PP, one more expensive one in carbon saves you about 2,5 kg per seat but the cost for that is about EUR 1,000 per seat.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Triple G
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shot of mine:

Old 11-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple G
Shot of mine:

Wow those do look nice!

Gonna have to check those out next time we meet.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Triple G
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, the car is at Korva now. Not sure if yours is still there?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 250 Posts

I have always LOVED PP. This is one interior upgrade that I've always wanted to do but never got around to it (for various reasons, but that's for another discussion).

PP are so age appropriate in our 993's that they make the perfect "aggressive" setup to match with our aggressive 993's. Just such a perfect, PERFECT match. And they are comfy, but I'll say this about PP and GT3 seats, is that I'm 6', 180lb with wide shoulders and these seats all squeeze your shoulder blades. Excellent for track days and aggressive driving, but I would want to make sure they would work for extended period of driving or comfy enough for daily driving. It sounds like it does, but something I would consider.

Keep us posted on your decision and good luck!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pole positions on looks alone! Not crazy about round headrest area on gt3s
Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Shot of mine:

NICE!

Here are mine that will go in my 993 next year:
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Shot of mine:

I'm sold
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks, the car is at Korva now. Not sure if yours is still there?
Yep got it back a few weeks ago, very happy! Plenty of 993s there right now.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:01 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

aside from fit I think this is the most meaningful comment.
I am 5'8" and 155 pounds and have the GT3 seats. If I were any wider in the hips it would be a struggle using the seats. Depends on your build and where most of your mass is, if your an inverted pyramid probably not an issue.

I got them because at track days I was sick of holding onto the wheel and bracing with my knee - it was becoming less safe and a limiter. For street driving they are overkill, but I recognize none of us will believe that until we try them ourselves. Thing is day in day out you pay for that increased support. You give up comfort without a doubt - coupled with stiff suspension, if you drive over bumpy roads its amplified because you now only have a thin cushion under you instead of a springier full seat. Egress and ingress is difficult and in thin clothing its not too bad, but add in a coat or jacket, some stuff in your pockets, wanting to flip a briefcase or backpack in the back seat etc etc, and you quickly realize why these are best as a DE/track accessory. I love mine, but no doubt that have contributed more then any other mod to noticeably making the car less streetable and more track oriented (other mods include sways/pss9, lowered, supercharged and a few others). Others may disagree, but again, depends on what you use your car for. I don't mind the compromises and for my uses its what I need- but I have enough objectivity to state the negatives.
As for period correct or not, I personally don't get that. period correct is probably 16 and 17 inch wheels also, and that is something everyone sees but we don't care. When I'm in the car I can only see what is in front of me and its an incredibly easy swap back to the stock seats if you sell so its totally reversible mod. If you can find a good used GT3 setup at a good price they are nice seats. If not you can order what you want for similar money.

Good luck. would definitely find a car set up with track seats and spend some time in your street clothes playing around in it first.

b

Originally Posted by vaujot
One thing to consider nobody has mentioned is pricing. At Carnewal's site, a pair of GT3 seats is EUR 4,000 in fabric, while the PP in fabric can be had for around 700 EUR according to a Recaro pricelist I have seen.
And there are two versions of the PP, one more expensive one in carbon saves you about 2,5 kg per seat but the cost for that is about EUR 1,000 per seat.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:27 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

At one point, Sparco had a universal tilt kit for fixed back seats that would let you unfasten a braket in the back, and the entire seat would tilt forward.
Is that still available?

I'm considering seat options (still). My wife has put up with JIC/Cross, RS clutch, sways, LWF, etc. She finally balked at the semi-solid transmission mount (fair). I'm concerned she might not dig the non-tilt for ingress/egress of our son to the back seat. I'm debating putting in 2 PP in black leather (foregoing expense of custom grey to match my current interior). I MAY put in one driver PP and one passenger Recaro Sport Topline (recline, padded, still has harness mounts for track days).

Just FYI.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 PM
JDS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any recommendations for good pricing on PPs?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:49 AM
kandutery
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recaro PP´s are compatible with the drivers with wide back? i´m not a bodybuilder but i like move some weights...

Quick Reply: Recaro pole or 996 gt3 seats?