Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors and Pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 AM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Brake Rotors and Pads

I need to replace my front rotors because they are warped and have already been cut once. I am considering Zimmerman's with Cool Carbon pads. I run a couple of DE's a year and use the car around town for pleasure driving/sight seeing tours.
Just want to know what other's think or have experienced with this set-up. Plus I am considering doing the work myself and am wondering about the necessity of the anti-squeal pads.

Although I have not looked at the rears yet, some say to go ahead and do those to to keep the "braking balance" in tact. It makes sense, but if pads are ok why change 'em? If I do change 'em, do I need to change the rotors too?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

There are differing opinions on Zimmerman rotors as well as different brands of pads. SEARCH is your friend.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by F18drvr
I need to replace my front rotors because they are warped and have already been cut once. I am considering Zimmerman's with Cool Carbon pads. I run a couple of DE's a year and use the car around town for pleasure driving/sight seeing tours.
Just want to know what other's think or have experienced with this set-up. Plus I am considering doing the work myself and am wondering about the necessity of the anti-squeal pads.

Although I have not looked at the rears yet, some say to go ahead and do those to to keep the "braking balance" in tact. It makes sense, but if pads are ok why change 'em? If I do change 'em, do I need to change the rotors too?
Hi,

JMHO, but I'd strongly recommend using factory Porsche rotors & pads for maximum durability for street use. If you do DE events, you'll need some track pads (Pagid Yellow) since street ones don't hold up very well. The anti-squeal pads do make a noticeable difference so delete them if you aren't concerned about noise.

If your rear rotors are inside the wear specification and not heavily grooved, go ahead and run them. Pads should have at least 8mm left on them. Brake balance will not be affected unless you use different pads, front & rear.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 for OEM pads (for street) and rotors (for street and track). I run without the anti-squeal pads and pad sensors on both cars. The C2S has OEM pads and rotors and the little bit of noise is worth it to me for the convenience of easy and quick pad changes. You might try going without them and if the noise is too much or annoying put them on.

As a first post we need pictures of your car
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply(s). I just moved to SoCal and drove across country. Sad to leave my outstanding mechanic in Canton Ohio, but happy to be in South Orange County, California...and I will hopefully find a good honest guy out here. Although I am somewhat mechanical, have tools, and the desire to turn wrenches again, it just makes me nervous. Really looking forward to driving the roads out West again. I think what I need to do is perhaps stick with OEM rotors and pads, and include the anti squeal discs. Then when a DE comes up consider switching pads to Pagid yellows and leave the discs out?....but will that be OK for the rotors? I mean switching pads back and forth? I was under the impression that was not necessarily a "good" thing. But it also doesn't make any sense to me because the pads are all "softer" than the rotors, and pads "conform to the rotor" not the other way around....

I think I got pics attached...
Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice ride

I used to switch pads and never had any issue, but you do need to bed in the Pagids each time you swap.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

OK and thx
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't be hurting for a quality Porsche mechanic here in SoCal, as Porsches are somewhat like Toyotas here...they're everywhere. In south OC, Hergesheimer has a pretty good reputation, but a search here in the 993 archives for "OC mechanic" or "OC PPI" will net you a bunch of opinions.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

I really liked the guys a 200 North Motorworks if you are near west Los Angeles and their pricing is reasonable.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche > Zimmerman >> Sebro
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Another vote for OEM. Get them from Sunset Porsche and they will be not much more expensive than the aftermarket stuff.

For pads, you might consider changing them for the events at least for the front. If you need to drive to the track, Ferrodo DS 2500 are an excellent choice. Has been recommended to me by a pro coach and I really like them for my use.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:06 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I had all 4 rotors/pads replaced before my trip to the 2012 Parade. My front rotors warped badly within 5 hours of the drive. Mind you, it was easy highway driving. I had to drive the rest of the trip with warped rotors which got a little hairy through the mountains. Upon my return home, I took it back to my indy and he could not believe they were warped. He said he used Zimmerman rotors and accused me of abusing them. He said he would replace them under warranty "this one time only". Whatever he replaced them with, they haven't warped yet. But, if in fact he did use new Zimmerman rotors, I would stay away from them.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 PM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for all the feedback. I have learned more in two days from this forum than I ever expected.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

+993 OEM rotors for light DE and street duty. Pagid Yellow for DE duty, OEM for street. I ran/run this set up both on my Turbo and now my RS clone for DE duty. Pulling the wheels to inspect before and after DE duty (to swap pads) is a good / easy DIY and you get to look at the car closer. Also brake fluid change each year at start of season, another good DIY to do with wheels off. Lots of opportunity to do visual inspection with wheels off.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 AM
F18drvr
Rennlist Member

Again thanks for the input. I just got the car back from Bill Brewster in San Clemente. OEM rotors and stop tech pads. Rears were fine. I will figure out what I am going to do for DE's later.

I also had some air flow issues which they also fixed. I had an AC evaporator replacement done by my old shop in Ohio. They had done the AC part ok, but re-install had some issues. Hopefully the old shop will help out on the labor cost to have Bill's shop redo the job correctly

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors and Pads