Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Old 10-20-2012, 01:06 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 235 Posts

Kudos to the guy and I tend to agree with Jakob in that not enough of the 911 purity was shown in the video. More of the cars, more of the modifications, work etc instead of his neighborhood revitalization project. I can see why they produced the film as it is and it certainly works...maybe there's more in the vault to come???

I'm planning on buying one of his Urban 911 t-shirts! Nice retro designs
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Strange. It seems like if anyone else posted a video of doing triple digits (or close to it) on public streets around other cars, they would get a good old fashioned RL tongue lashing. Just sayin.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Here we go.....
Old 10-20-2012, 11:13 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm getting old but what he did on 110, I don't think I would ever do.
I'm just saying... Especially hanging out with that ricer!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:09 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Man....that's just retarded..
Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 PM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Passing on the right would never fly in Germany.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:29 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great video, but not enough car content. I would love to see more of build details, and yeah,I was also expecting to see the strap installed.
I have a spare 3.6 sitting in the garage, and wold love to do an outlaw

Emerald
Old 10-20-2012, 01:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah, I agree he takes some crazy risks on the public roads.

I find it interesting to hear all the opinions from the arm-chair film critics here and can only think of one thing: I highly doubt it was made for you, or what you wanted to see more/less of. He made a film to show his life and passions, of which cars are just a part. The film is, what it is. When you gain the same level of skill and talent that Magnus has and find a film maker of equal skill to document your passions, then you too can create an interesting film about what you want.

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 10-20-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:51 PM
vaujot
Instructor

Well, my last comment was not well received so I guess I need to make my point clearer.
First of all, what makes Mr. Walker look like a bum to me is not so much his clothing but his grooming, or lack thereof. Check out his fingernails and you’ll see what I mean.
Secondly, I don’t think this is a cultural issue between southern California and Germany, as has been suggested. Let me share a family story: In the 70s, my dad sported longish hair and an unkempt beard. Mind you, he still looked respectable enough to be gainfully employed as a journalist. In the mean time, his sister had moved to LA and started a family there. When her children saw a photo of him, they commented that he looked like a bum. This is still part of family lore.
This topic made me think a little about appearance and what it means and says about a person. I think it is a sign of respect for your fellow human beings that you do not show up in a manner that’s disturbing to them. This is why I wear a suit to work because I know my clients and colleagues expect me to do so. I respect my clients and colleagues and their expectations in my professional attire.
But let’s get back to cars. I am acquainted with a mechanic who runs a shop for classic cars and I meet him about once a month for dinner with a group of owners of classic Alfa Romeos (I own a Giulia Spider). Usually, before we meet, he will go home, shower and clean himself up. Every once in a while, when he’s busy, he doesn’t manage to and shows up a little sweaty and dirty. Then he apologizes for his appearance because he knows that folks prefer their dinner table company to be clean. And we gladly excuse him because we know he’s a hard working man who does a good job on our cars. And he doesn’t look that bad in these cases anyways. If anybody would ever make a film about this guy, he might wear his overalls but he’d certainly make sure that they are clean. As well as his fingernails. The point is: The blue-collar-folks I know (the mechanic isn't the only one I have known in my life) do know when it is appropriate to get their hands clean.
I am wondering why Mr. Walker chooses to look the way he does. Bear in mind that he is apparently a savvy businessman in the fashion industry who invests in real estate in an area of town currently going through gentrification (he says that in the film). As he works in fashion, he cannot be totally careless about his appearance. More likely the opposite. So, I suppose, his appearance might be a statement. I wonder what the statement might be.
Mr. Walker spends a bit of talking about making brand new things look old. I must say that I resent it when people or things pretend to be something which they are not. The film is called Urban Outlaw. It appears the most outlawish thing Mr. Walker does is driving recklessly. While that might be dangerous, it doesn’t make him an outlaw in my book. He is not running away from the police or leading a motorcycle gang while running a brothel. I don’t know who chose the film’s title but it strikes me as a case of trying to portray Mr. Walker as something he is not.
Sorry about my rambling but I am interested to hear what people think of this.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course this film is all about self promotion. He has an image of which the clothing and hair are a part. Whilst it may turn some off, those that do respect it, get it. Personally I think if you can back it up then why not. What I hate are posers who don't walk the walk, and just pander to the masses.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Jesus, you'd be so dead even attempting 1/2 of what's he is doing on our Vancouver roads. Instant car seizure and you'll never get it back too.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:24 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vaujot
Well, my last comment was not well received so I guess I need to make my point clearer.
First of all, what makes Mr. Walker look like a bum to me is not so much his clothing but his grooming, or lack thereof. Check out his fingernails and you’ll see what I mean.
Secondly, I don’t think this is a cultural issue between southern California and Germany, as has been suggested. Let me share a family story: In the 70s, my dad sported longish hair and an unkempt beard. Mind you, he still looked respectable enough to be gainfully employed as a journalist. In the mean time, his sister had moved to LA and started a family there. When her children saw a photo of him, they commented that he looked like a bum. This is still part of family lore.
This topic made me think a little about appearance and what it means and says about a person. I think it is a sign of respect for your fellow human beings that you do not show up in a manner that’s disturbing to them. This is why I wear a suit to work because I know my clients and colleagues expect me to do so. I respect my clients and colleagues and their expectations in my professional attire.
But let’s get back to cars. I am acquainted with a mechanic who runs a shop for classic cars and I meet him about once a month for dinner with a group of owners of classic Alfa Romeos (I own a Giulia Spider). Usually, before we meet, he will go home, shower and clean himself up. Every once in a while, when he’s busy, he doesn’t manage to and shows up a little sweaty and dirty. Then he apologizes for his appearance because he knows that folks prefer their dinner table company to be clean. And we gladly excuse him because we know he’s a hard working man who does a good job on our cars. And he doesn’t look that bad in these cases anyways. If anybody would ever make a film about this guy, he might wear his overalls but he’d certainly make sure that they are clean. As well as his fingernails. The point is: The blue-collar-folks I know (the mechanic isn't the only one I have known in my life) do know when it is appropriate to get their hands clean.
I am wondering why Mr. Walker chooses to look the way he does. Bear in mind that he is apparently a savvy businessman in the fashion industry who invests in real estate in an area of town currently going through gentrification (he says that in the film). As he works in fashion, he cannot be totally careless about his appearance. More likely the opposite. So, I suppose, his appearance might be a statement. I wonder what the statement might be.
Mr. Walker spends a bit of talking about making brand new things look old. I must say that I resent it when people or things pretend to be something which they are not. The film is called Urban Outlaw. It appears the most outlawish thing Mr. Walker does is driving recklessly. While that might be dangerous, it doesn’t make him an outlaw in my book. He is not running away from the police or leading a motorcycle gang while running a brothel. I don’t know who chose the film’s title but it strikes me as a case of trying to portray Mr. Walker as something he is not.
His appearance positions him in a specific niche in the fashion market - and that position relies on excluding persons like yourself. To his target market, the very fact that you fail to comprehend the neccesity for such an appearance may be one of the most compelling reasons to appear that way.

There are many ways to reject homogeneity - owning rear engined cars is just one of them...
Old 10-20-2012, 04:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by vaujot
Martin Luther King said something like "Judge me not by the color of my skin, but rather the content of my character."

Appearances matter little and are subjective. What looks good to you, may not look good to others. To me, people in business suits don't look good, they look like conformist sheep who follow the rules mindlessly.

I'd rather dine with someone who has great stories, incredible skill and dirty nails than have dinner with a conformist business suit without the guts, vision or talent to follow his own path.

But that's just me. And Dr. King.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM
vaujot
Instructor

His appearance positions him in a specific niche in the fashion market - and that position relies on excluding persons like yourself. To his target market, the very fact that you fail to comprehend the neccesity for such an appearance may be one of the most compelling reasons to appear that way.
Then Mr Walker is kind of like me: styling in a way that caters to his audience.

Martin Luther King said something like "Judge me not by the color of my skin, but rather the content of my character."

Appearances matter little and are subjective. What looks good to you, may not look good to others. To me, people in business suits don't look good, they look like conformist sheep who follow the rules mindlessly.

I'd rather dine with someone who has great stories, incredible skill and dirty nails than have dinner with a conformist business suit without the guts, vision or talent to follow his own path.

But that's just me. And Dr. King.
I find it funny that you invoke Dr. King. When I think of him, I think of a well-groomed man in a three-piece-suit. And in spite of the suit, he wasn't a conformist sheep following the rules. Rather, he had guts and a vision. And you can change your clothes and cut your hair but you cannot change the color of your skin.

Quick Reply: Urban Outlaw is out!