993 Forum 1995-1998

Show Me Where You Mount Your GPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 273 Posts
Default Show Me Where You Mount Your GPS

I've been thinking about an ideal location to mount my GPS that's easy to view and access while I drive. I've had it mounted via suction to the windshield and bean-bag on the dash. Didn't like the look as the unit cluttered the clean 993 dash. The location must be easy on the eyes when viewed from the driver's seat and from outside the car looking in. Most importantly, absolutely no drilling or screwing into any panels. Made a simple bracket and mounted right above the switch-console. I have to tidy up the cord to finalize the install. It's an older TomTom GPS but works well. What y'all think?
Attached Images   
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM
doc_porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks great... Too bad there's no way o deal with the chord
Old 10-15-2012, 12:05 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

On the rare occasion for a road trip and I want to increase the MAX MPH display value.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

You could wire the GPS directly into the switch panel below, i.e. into the sunroof switch, which is switched power. That would clean up the installation, and then no need to unplug anything when you leave the car.

May we see pictures of the bracket?

I have my Sirius radio in the location you are using for your GPS, but it is held only by sticky tape (3M trim mounting tape).
Old 10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I need the nav, I use my suction cup mount on the clock with the arm angled toward the passenger side. Puts in in easy reach and easy to see.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 198 Posts

Here is mine:

It's the best location IMO. If you keep your hands at 9 and 3 on the wheel, the right hand covers it nicely and you don't have to see it all the time. I hate looking at a bright screen in my face when driving at night. That's the problem I have with all the new cars these days that put big 6-7" screens on top of the dash.

BTW mine has the external GPS antenna on the dash so it's never looking for satellites.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suction cup on the clock gauge. Perfect placement. You don't have to look down to see it, but it's not on top of the dash obstructing your view.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Here is mine:

It's the best location IMO. If you keep your hands at 9 and 3 on the wheel, the right hand covers it nicely and you don't have to see it all the time. I hate looking at a bright screen in my face when driving at night. That's the problem I have with all the new cars these days that put big 6-7" screens on top of the dash.

BTW mine has the external GPS antenna on the dash so it's never looking for satellites.
+1. Clean and simple. Out of the way install. All within right hand's reach. Did you hardwire it Ilko?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use my phone..ususally sitting in the passenger seat. Do not like clutter.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:47 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Yeah, hardwired it to the sunroof switch I think. It's been a while.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 384 Posts

I use my android phone, its normally sitting in the area below the emergency brake handle. I just listen to it, don't really need to look at the screen.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a RHD car - I have mine on the bottom corner of the windscreen on the right hand side. I use the speed readout on this while driving as it's more accurate than the speedometer.

I bought a 12v lighter socket from a parts store and had it wired in under the dash with the charger cord plugged into it - and the the cord tucked away into the door liner etc. This way I can unplug the power cord without too much fuss and use the unit in another car if I need.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:13 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyT
You could wire the GPS directly into the switch panel below, i.e. into the sunroof switch, which is switched power. That would clean up the installation, and then no need to unplug anything when you leave the car.

May we see pictures of the bracket?

I have my Sirius radio in the location you are using for your GPS, but it is held only by sticky tape (3M trim mounting tape).
Thanks for the hardwire idea. The bracket is nothing fancy. Simple L bracket carefully screwed to the back of the GPS. Can't take a pic as I'm at work now.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
Suction cup on the clock gauge. Perfect placement. You don't have to look down to see it, but it's not on top of the dash obstructing your view.
check out Ram Mounts. They make a suction cup version, with adjustable mounts to fit "most" GPS and phones. Fits easily on the clock face...kinda tight if you have Chris's alu rings. I mount my phone there for nav on trips.

It can be positioned right at your finger tips, very convienent.

Only downside, it obscures the clock naturally...and the bounty of idiot lights on it-immobilizer included.

Anyway, quality mounts at "reasonable" prices.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I have a suction cup thingie for the clock that I bought so I can use Trapster on the iPhone. But the damned thing makes it so close to the steering wheel and it's always in my face so I ditched it. The 993 cockpit is just too small for that stuff to fit right.

Quick Reply: Show Me Where You Mount Your GPS