Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

double-down shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I double-clutch downshift and upshift on the street almost all of the time and have been doing it for so long that I don't even think about it. I actually had to check to make sure that I am still doing it, and, yup, I sure am. It's a lost art and is so much easier on the synchros, and there's a great satisfaction feeling the shift lever just slide into gear, the tach needle not moving a millimeter, indicating a perfect rev match.

On the track where 1/100ths of a second count, I usually don't double clutch.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was on the track with one of our local instructors, and noticed that he doesn't double clutch either.

I guess that's what the steel synchros are for.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another reason. A race clutch is either on or off. There's very little slipping of the disks. Therefore shifting without blipping the throttle will lock up the rear end and if you’re unlucky enough spinning you in a corner.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

There is nothing wrong with a double downshift - when properly executed - which can / should include some of the ^^above concepts^^ 8-).

Heck, I employ all sorts 'o shifting oddities... triple downshift, quadruple upshift, etc. Depends on the circumstance. Long as you get it right it's no problem... just get it right.

I wasn't going to reply, but found myself doing this yestderday... meandering down a backroad, gliding along in 6th (oil pressure never <2.5!), car afront me turns off - I rev match into 3rd and WOT off I go.

Sometimes in heavy traffic, I'll start in 1st, maybe grab 2nd to bring R's up... then grab 6th. I tend to try to balance fuel economy via these opps when I can, helps offset all the WOT and trip-digi's 8-).

I'm sure I'll get bashed for 'not good for synchros' and 'are you quintuple clutching'... but... I've had mannnny hundred thousand miles in mannnnny stick cars... never any trans issues ever.

just sayin 8-)

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
There is nothing wrong with a double downshift - when properly executed - which can / should include some of the ^^above concepts^^ 8-).

Heck, I employ all sorts 'o shifting oddities... triple downshift, quadruple upshift, etc. Depends on the circumstance. Long as you get it right it's no problem... just get it right.

I wasn't going to reply, but found myself doing this yestderday... meandering down a backroad, gliding along in 6th (oil pressure never <2.5!), car afront me turns off - I rev match into 3rd and WOT off I go.

Sometimes in heavy traffic, I'll start in 1st, maybe grab 2nd to bring R's up... then grab 6th. I tend to try to balance fuel economy via these opps when I can, helps offset all the WOT and trip-digi's 8-).

I'm sure I'll get bashed for 'not good for synchros' and 'are you quintuple clutching'... but... I've had mannnny hundred thousand miles in mannnnny stick cars... never any trans issues ever.

just sayin 8-)
When you triple or quadruple downshift, are you pushing the clutch in three or four times? Can you explain the benefits of doing this over just double clutching?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

sorry for the confusion Mark - first I misread the OP (unless he edited it from when I'd first read it yesterday??? Really didn't think he'd ref'd the clutching part when he'd first posted...) I'd initially thought it'd just asked about double downshifting, then I replied, THEN noted his reference to the double-clutching aspect - so I had to edit my reply 8-/.

D'oh.

Then I was merely saying I'll skip gears - shift direct (one clutch) from say 2nd to 6th, or downshift (rev matched) from 6th to 3rd... maybe even 2nd in the right situ 8-).

basically, just disregard my idiocy and you'll be better served!

Paul
CT
past: '87 930 | '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6spd | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 10-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I skip gears a lot, too. I often go from 1st to 3rd to 5th to save on gas and to reduce wear and tear.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I often skip a gear in my Scion, but NEVER in Rufus. Why? Because of the pure joy of shifting and the wonderful sounds it makes on each gear change. I simply can't help myself.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Nautilus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post guys.
I always heel & toe when downshifting and knew what double clutch was but did not know that even with a modern synchronized gearbox you can reduce wear & tear by double clutching.

I’ll try to give it a go from now on...
Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 PM
sonny1
Banned

I only rev match, I have steel synchros.,some times (track time) heel & toe.,cheers.Sonny1.

Last edited by sonny1; 10-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried both now. Back to double clutching (or as the British call it, double declutching).

Smoother transition and far less effort to select the lower gear.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 AM
vaujot
Instructor

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Here's another trick to save your first gear synchro: I assume that at signals you are putting the gearbox in neutral and releasing the clutch (saving wear on the throw-out bearing). When the light changes, engage 5th or 6th gear before you select 1st gear. Selecting those higher gears will stop the input shaft, allowing you to select first gear with very little pressure on the lever. The synchros on those higher gears wear very little.
I just tried this in my old car. Indeed, first gear goes in easier. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Here's another trick to save your first gear synchro: I assume that at signals you are putting the gearbox in neutral and releasing the clutch (saving wear on the throw-out bearing). When the light changes, engage 5th or 6th gear before you select 1st gear. Selecting those higher gears will stop the input shaft, allowing you to select first gear with very little pressure on the lever. The synchros on those higher gears wear very little.
By "engage" do you mean actually get the car moving from a stop (release the clutch) in 5th or 6th gear or just move the stick into the 5/6 position on the same clutch depression as your 1st gear shift ? Sorry, just wanted to be clear before I potentially grind out a pound of tranny metal
Old 10-21-2012, 12:41 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shtootgart
By "engage" do you mean actually get the car moving from a stop (release the clutch) in 5th or 6th gear or just move the stick into the 5/6 position on the same clutch depression as your 1st gear shift ? Sorry, just wanted to be clear before I potentially grind out a pound of tranny metal
If you try to actually move your car from stopped in 5th or 6th gear you will either stall the engine or have to slip the clutch so badly that you will leave a smokey haze in your wake. No, just pop the lever into 5th or 6th gear to stop the input shaft BEFORE selecting 1st gear and moving off.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Figured that's what you meant but thanks for clarification.

Quick Reply: double-down shifting