Sponsored by:

Wiring Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Wiring Harness Question

Back in 2002 I received the wiring harness recall notification. I brought the car to the stealer and they inspected it and said it was fine.

I just read the recall info and it sounds like it should have been replaced. Were these ALL supposed to be replaced?

I have the harness that ends in 05 with a build date of 10/94. Some of the wires have cracked and missing insulation. I was going to fix it myself but perhaps this should be replaced?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes it should have been replaced at no charge.

The PO had it inspected around 2000 and they said it was OK, but then they changed the recall in 2001 to include any of the old number part #'s on the harness.

I got a run around from PCNA and a dealer when I bought my car a few years ago and carfax showed an open recall, so when I had my engine out I bought the kit myself for $100 and installed it at that time.

Attached is the page that shows which should be replaced at no charge.

Don't bother with PCNA just call a local dealer and they should take care of it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
NA_Harness_TSB.pdf (122.2 KB, 190 views)
Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Thank you. I actually have the harness out of the car (engine rebuild). What's in the kit? I'll call the local stealer and see what they say.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

So I called the local dealer, they looked up the VIN and said, "Yup, you have an open recall on your vehicle". She said make an appointment and they will do it. Then I said I just want the new wiring harness - can I bring in the old one and just swap it. That threw her so she's checking with the higher ups to see if they can do that. Otherwise she said I have to put the old one back in and then bring it in. Seems crazy.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness Question