Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Battery kill switch?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery kill switch?

So my battery has died again as the car is rarely driven these days. Anyone have a recommendation for a kill/cut-off switch? Pics? The Rennline kits look very tidy if I were to switch to an Odyssey batter.

I assume that radio presets get wiped out, but does the ECU need to be rebooted?

TIA!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How about a trickle charger with float feature?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Using a kill switch would present a potential problem for an OBDII car in an area that required testing. You would need to anticipate that sufficiently in advance so you could go through the drive cycle and get all readiness flags.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a CTEK battery charger. Easy to plug in.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently added a kill switch to my odyssey 925, after I started having problems with my second one. Been about 5 years with them. I used the cheap one from rennline, it's a longacre. You lose presets, no ECU probs.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 PM
bart1
Race Car

PS - Odyssesy did not like trickle chargers for their units. I bought a Schumaker unit from amazon
Old 10-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Battery charger...

is a must...the new ones (State of the art) are great. If the battery goes dead for whatever reason, you will need to re-enter your radio code, but the ECU will not need anything to operate the car.

My battery had died several times die to sitting idle. It was time for my 2 tear smog check so I went to the smog station....he checked the OBD II out off -line, too many codes to pass. So I did two (2) complete drive cycles to clear the codes. No luck...then off to my local Porsche shop (SGS Motorsports in San Luis Obispo), and the tech fiddled with the car, took a short drive with his lap top in the car, and voila, cleared the codes...I passed smog.

Avert all these hassles and have a trickle charger on the car. Around $100 for a decent one...and if you really want crawl to grave security, get a Booster Pak E2500...if the battery of any cars in your fleet ever dies, connect the leads and you are back in business. They cost about $180, depending on where you buy them. This is the brand my shop uses, they swear buy it. Peace of mind....
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the comments on the kill switches. Unfortunately the car is parked in a communal garage and a battery trickle charger is not an option as there are no nearby electrical outlets.

(btw car is a Euro-spec and I don't think OBD2 testing is an issue where I am)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bart1
I recently added a kill switch to my odyssey 925, after I started having problems with my second one. Been about 5 years with them. I used the cheap one from rennline, it's a longacre. You lose presets, no ECU probs.
Thanks. You mention using the "cheap one" so I assume you are not referring to the one they have that is integrated into the 925 mount?

http://www.rennline.com/Lightweight-...nfo/EL36V3.34/
Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

I have a kill switch in my OBD1 95 993 with a nakamichi stereo
and I store my car for months on end . Easy , take key out and store , that is it .
Attached Images  
Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by briefescape
I have a kill switch in my OBD1 95 993 with a nakamichi stereo
and I store my car for months on end . Easy , take key out and store , that is it .
Do you have a pic on how the switch is mounted? Is it mounted on the battery bracket or was a bracket fabbed and fasted to the sheetmetal?

TIA
Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
Do you have a pic on how the switch is mounted? Is it mounted on the battery bracket or was a bracket fabbed and fasted to the sheetmetal?

TIA
I do not have a picture and car is not here right now . Just a small sheetmetal bend in a L shape and kill switch fasten to " l " and the " _ " fasten to battery bracket ( if my memory serves me right ) .

Very easy DIY thing .
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by David in LA
Thanks. You mention using the "cheap one" so I assume you are not referring to the one they have that is integrated into the 925 mount?

http://www.rennline.com/Lightweight-...nfo/EL36V3.34/
http://www.rennline.com/Battery-Disconnect-Switch/productinfo/EL%2DLA45758/

They sold me this and just the top plate to the kit to mount.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 AM
tctung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 993 is of Euro spec, too. I installed an OMP brand battery kill switch 5 years ago. Every time if my car is to be parked for a week or a month, I switch the battery off. And there has never been any problem. Install was easy, but I hired a specialized shop to do it for me. First, the shop disconnected the battery cable on the negative side, then cut the cable, then installed the kill switch at the cut section. (I hired a specialized shop because I didn't have any power tools, solder gun etc. in my house. DIY is never trendy in Taiwan as our labor cost is less than 30% of your cost in the US.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery kill switch?