Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 993 as my first Porsche, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Dukerdog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 993 as my first Porsche, any advice?

This is my first post. I am seriously looking to buy a 993 coupe but I am overwhelmed by the information out there. Like others, it has always been a dream to own one. Assuming I find a straight car that is mechanically correct (in the $35 - $40K range) what should I expect in terms of routine maintenace and repairs? This would be a daily driver and I put on very low miles, probably 3-5K per year. My round trip drive to work each day is 2 miles (one mile each way). I'm told that alone could do more harm that good. Luckily I have two excellent independent Porsche shops within a few miles of my house. Basically, is this a car I can depend on as a daily driver? Any thoughts/advice is very much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

I would not use the car as a DD with only one mile each way...it will not warm up enough and most likely cause longer term problems (SAI etc). But I would buy a 993 and bicycle to work...and on the days you need to drive take a long enough route to fully warm the engine up.

As to maint. cost etc we will need to know existing mileage and what type of maint. had historically been performed (clutch, top end, suspension, etc) to offer some thoughts.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had a 993 since 1999, not the one I am currently selling that one I got back in 2006 and is more of a DE car that can be driven on the street. Anyway's all I have ever had to do is normal yearly service regardless of milage. The two 993's I have owned have never let me down and I wish I kept the first one and wish I didn't have to let the current one go. Your price range for a stock 993 not a 2S or 4S seems about correct to me. Once you take one for a test drive you will find it very hard to resist taking it home. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 PM
T0M993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the slippery slope. As a fellow Houstonian and someone who was recently in your shoes, I can tell you that the quality and detail of the PPI you have performed on the potential purchase is critical. Make sure you get someone who knows air-cooled P-cars and what to look for. Compression testing and putting the car in the air are a must for a good PPI. You are right that 1-mile trips aren't the best as the car will not have sufficient time to get up to operating temperature. You can count on oil changes every 6-7k and new tires every 10-15k depending on how you use the vehicle. There are also common lifter/valve guide issues on cars with higher mileage. The answer to your question is YES, you can use this car as a daily driver as long as you maintain it regularly. That being said, we get some pretty wet days here in Houston and flash flooding is not uncommon so you may want to keep a backup ride for those days. Just my $.02.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by Dukerdog
. Assuming I find a straight car that is mechanically correct what should I expect in terms of routine maintenace and repairs? . Basically, is this a car I can depend on as a daily driver? .
So, you're asking anonymous people on the internet if a car that you haven't found yet will be reliable as a daily driver and how much the maintenance costs will be... Miss Cleo says: yes and $3,500?...
Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

A time honored 911 purchase rule of thumb is "buy the best example" as you can afford.

As for a dailey driver,,, Go For It, there's plenty of DD style owners on this board.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Once you have a 993, you need to change your route to work. Whenever I drive the car to work I always find a way to stretch its legs a little - totally worth the smile it puts on my face.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent DD and very reliable cars.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM
stickypatch
Rennlist Member

I've just bought a 993 a my daily driver - only a week and a half ago. As one member said, they take a bit of warming up and that's my experience too, so far.

Yes, there's an overwhelming amount of information out there about them - but there would be if you were looking at buying a Volvo too, or anything really.

Originally I was looking at a 996 and I'd done a ton of research on them online, as well as speak to my local independent Porsche garage and the local Porsche dealership's service advisor. I even had a 996 inspected and didn't buy it.

Then my 993 appeared on the dealer's yard at the same money as 996s are selling for here in NZ. So I started looking them up online and educating myself as much as possible about what to look for etc. I can tell you, the impression I quickly got of the 993, its reliability and possible problems was *hugely* better than the picture I'd formed of the 996.

Now I've got a car I love. It does not make sense as a daily driver. But here's the thing - cars like this almost never make sense. They are emotional purchases so get comfortable with that fact and do it. One thing is guaranteed - you'll be dead one day, whether you buy a Porsche or not.

Get it if you really want it - you can always make more money to fix it. But if you go through life without a Porsche then sooner or later you'll run out of life and no amount of money changes that.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:33 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
I would not use the car as a DD with only one mile each way...it will not warm up enough and most likely cause longer term problems (SAI etc). But I would buy a 993 and bicycle to work...and on the days you need to drive take a long enough route to fully warm the engine up.

excellent advice.
listen to il pirata
your short commute is a car killer
ride a bike

have fun.

Craig
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,076 Posts

It's all in the number of miles on the one you are considering. Lots of expensive stuff happens at 80k+ miles.

Clutch
Synchs
Valve cartridges
Shocks
Steering rack

Make sure you know what big items have been done. To date.
Andy
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Dukerdog
Racer

Thanks for all the help. I realize I'm asking people I don't know to comment on a car I don't yet have. However, as 993 owners I'm hoping you can educate me from your own experiences. Reliability is my number one concern.

Whatever I get would be low mileage (under 60,000) one or two owner that has only seen a mild climate and has been properly maintained and documented. I would definitely get a PPI. Eurocar Werks and Swiss Garage are both within a few miles of my house and office.

Biking is not an option (you've obviously never been to Houston, an inside joke). Also, I need the car for business meetings and errands during the week, but these are also usually under 5 miles. I have a Toyota 4 Runner to use for those wet days and flash floods.

My wife is 100% supportive and says go for it (she drives a 328i). I'm the worrier who is afraid of huge repair bill after I buy it.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use mine as a DD and love it - though I work from home. I make sure the car fully warms up each time I drive it - it's a great reason to take the long way home - and quite enjoyable.

As far as reliability, mine has been great. I put less than 5k a year on it and do an annual oil change. You need to realize that these are 15 year old cars so anything can happen. I do most of my own maintenance and repairs, so it is an economical car to drive - no significant depreciation.

You have a good budget so should be able to buy a nice car. I would not be too concerned with a higher mileage car, but a low miles car could have issues.

Consider what options and mods you want. If you can find a car modded as you like, it will save you dollars. My need to have list would include lowered suspension, Fister or RSR mufflers and HID lights.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukerdog
Thanks for all the help. I realize I'm asking people I don't know to comment on a car I don't yet have. However, as 993 owners I'm hoping you can educate me from your own experiences. Reliability is my number one concern.

Whatever I get would be low mileage (under 60,000) one or two owner that has only seen a mild climate and has been properly maintained and documented. I would definitely get a PPI. Eurocar Werks and Swiss Garage are both within a few miles of my house and office.

My wife is 100% supportive and says go for it (she drives a 328i). I'm the worrier who is afraid of huge repair bill after I buy it.
Not sure what's up with firesm, this is a great place to get information.

Sounds like you are going about this right. Just don't allow yourself to get pressured into buying any particular car. With your budget, you should be able to get a great car.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by firesm
So, you're asking anonymous people on the internet if a car that you haven't found yet will be reliable as a daily driver and how much the maintenance costs will be... Miss Cleo says: yes and $3,500?...
What does that mean? Who the f is miss cleo? Canadian humor I guess. The guy is asking a legit question to a supposed community of enthusiasts. Sheesh.....

To the OP: the 993 tends to be pretty bullet proof provided you have done your due diligence. I say go for it and have fun. Might even know of a nice example to fit your needs if you are willing to stretch the budget a bit.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 993 as my first Porsche, any advice?