Sponsored by:

Odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:05 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MM993
Follow up to my Odometer issue. It turned out to be just a coincidence after working on the car for other things. Timing is everything!

Major thanks to Marc/Mgianzero for his DIY video on replacing the two gears without taking the whole thing apart. I did review the DIY’s from Pcar.com and Odometers.com to be as educated as possible, but Marc’s video made everything very clear. Odometers.com made it easy to order the gears online and I got them in 3 days.

My overall 2 cents is as follows; It’s not a hard DIY at all, just take your time. Buy both gears; I was shocked to see the large gear being the problem vs the normal smaller gear.
The advice of cleaning everything out with compressed air for any broken teeth is correct, however in my situation, I needed to pick out all the teeth wedged in the large inside gear with a paperclip. I also recommend a jewelers loop/magnifying glass to inspect the inside gear from all angles. A must is to get the type of thin tweezers Marc used in the video; they would have cut my time easily in half vs regular tweezers. The photo shows the new gears and my old large melted gear with all the teeth I pulled out.
Thanks for sharing. The issue is not the complexity of the repair (I did it with success on my cab). For me it is the molested ring if you do not have the tools that the experts have to pry it off. The odometer of my 4S that was fixed by an expert company looked like it was never touched which is a result that I could not achieve with my DIY.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
The odometer of my 4S that was fixed by an expert company looked like it was never touched which is a result that I could not achieve with my DIY.
Who knows, maybe they install new rings with every rebuild.

Quick Reply: Odometer not working