Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:39 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rattle debug Q on suspsension

A bit of background.

I had JIC cross on my cab. Switched the struts/droplinks/RS swaybars to the coupe.

There was a thumpity rattle coming from the driver front at slow speeds on bumpy roads (prob there on higher speeds and smoother roads, but engine noise overrides it) on the cab. It is now on the coupe. It was gone for awhile after install, but is there now. I've had it looked at, tightened, tracked it several times...nothing is criminally loose.

So I'm wondering what it could be, and how I'd go about debugging it. Could I unhook the drop links from the sway bar, and at least eliminate the sway bar as the culprit that way? Would that potentially cause mayhem if I had an unhooked drop link, even just for noise/thump testing?

Any suggestions on how to methodically chase this gremlin would be most appreciated. I realize it could be in the shock itself, but I'm loathe to pay to take it off, ship it, wait...wait...wait...then pay to reinstall and realign...only to have it be something else.

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

You can certainly try disconnecting the drops links, and for any loose hardware but w/ any kind of mileage I'd look at the monoballs in the shock tops first
Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any way to examine/test/diagnose while the shock is installed? Oh, and the JICs prob only have 7k miles on them...
Old 09-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Any way to examine/test/diagnose while the shock is installed? Oh, and the JICs prob only have 7k miles on them...
put the corner you want to test in the air, pry the wheel up, it helps to have help to do this, you can often feel the slop through a hand on the shock than hear it.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:28 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

You are such a great resource of time and knowledge, Bill. As usual, thx.

Quick Reply: Rattle debug Q on suspsension